Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What type of outlet is this?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PXL_20220203_235717992.MP.jpg

Hi fam, I have this outlet at work and I was wondering what type of charging adapter I would need for this?

Thanks!

View attachment 764753
Hi fam, I have this outlet at work and I was wondering what type of charging adapter I would need for this?

Thanks!

Is this really an outlet? It could be a generator input for when they have a power failure and feed something in the building with a temporary power source. Is there power on this outlet right now? I'm NOT an electrician. Be VERY careful. If it's not your business, be DOUBLE careful.

Is this really an outlet? It could be a generator input for when they have a power failure and feed something in the building with a temporary power source. Is there power on this outlet right now? I'm NOT an electrician. Be VERY careful. If it's not your business, be DOUBLE careful.
Generator transfer outlets have male plug ends. A generator transfer also requires a transfer switch. The photo the Op posted is of a L6-20 receptacle.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reliance-20-Amp-Generator-Power-Inlet-Box/4712835

Reactions: 101dals and MY-Y
Generator transfer outlets have male plug ends.
I'm pretty sure that's not so. Wall receptacles, even for generator input, have to be female inputs, and then the cord from the generator is the one that has to have the prongs to go into it.
Looks more like L14-30.
It definitely isn't. Read the text molded into the front of the outlet in the picture:
"20A.250V"
That says it's a 20A outlet, not 30A. And the picture is a little fuzzy, but I think I see only three slots for prongs, so it can't be a 14-XX type, which would need to have four slots. And if it were a dual voltage outlet type, it wouldn't just say "250V".

I'm pretty sure that's not so. Wall receptacles, even for generator input, have to be female inputs, and then the cord from the generator is the one that has to have the prongs to go into it.

Generator inlets do have male plug ends, so that you aren't holding a cord with a live male plug attached to your running generator. :) Besides, then you'd need a double-male cord to connect your generator to your house, which is called a suicide cord for a reason. (example)

Generator inlets do have male plug ends, so that you aren't holding a cord with a live male plug attached to your running generator.
For 1, you should never start the generator first before going to connect it in for that reason. And for the other, having exposed prongs on a house outlet connected to a live circuit would be deadly, so I couldn't picture that happening.

So I just did some searching for generator input receptacles, and I see what is available, and why it makes sense to me and to you. They don't make them with exposed prongs. They are male, but all generator input receptacles are sold as boxes with spring loaded flip-down covers to keep the prongs covered all the time, so they are not exposed. Now that makes sense and satisfies all of the needed safety conditions.

For 1, you should never start the generator first before going to connect it in for that reason. And for the other, having exposed prongs on a house outlet connected to a live circuit would be deadly, so I couldn't picture that happening.

So I just did some searching for generator input receptacles, and I see what is available, and why it makes sense to me and to you. They don't make them with exposed prongs. They are male, but all generator input receptacles are sold as boxes with spring loaded flip-down covers to keep the prongs covered all the time, so they are not exposed. Now that makes sense and satisfies all of the needed safety conditions.
There is also a transfer switch.

Reactions: gfunkdave