TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What was your maximum charge rate at a supercharger?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Battery & Charging' started by vadimr, Jun 4, 2018.

1. vadimr

vadimr Member

New M3 owner here. Took my first trip from NJ to MA. Stopped in RI to charge. 7 out of 8 stalls were empty. First one, dead. Would disconnect after 1 minute, 2nd one I got like 110kw and got super excited. Then it disconnected abruptly without a warning. The other person charging in the MX next to me said she had the same issue and this is her 3rd stall. She was leaving so I took her stall. The max charge rate there was like 67kw. At this point I crossed over like 60-70% so I figured eh whatever. Temps were in the mid 70s.

Today I went to a supercharger here at Cape Cod. I was the only one there, I tried 4 stalls out of 8. So essentially all the chargers. I got like 60kw for about 3-5 minutes and it started dropping off. Temps were in the very low 50s. It went down to like 42kw. I called Tesla they said they don't know why it's going on. They asked me to try a few more stalls but the results were identical.

So the question is do you guys think it's my car or the superchargers I am hitting?

2. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

... would help if you listed what your SOC was when u plugged in ..the higher rates will come at low SOC ..

• Informative x 1
  3. Pkmmte

Pkmmte Le meow

Weird. Sounds like you're just unlucky. Unless there's another Tesla charging next to mine, I usually get up to 112kW and it stays that way for a while. It only tapers down to 40-60kW once it's close to reaching 80% or more.

4. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I charged at the Sagamore charger just last week. I don’t think I got more than what you got but I’m not 100% sure. Maybe the max there was around 60kW, similar temps. I was the only one there (it was around 4 am). On my way back home to NJ I stopped at the Darien CT supercharger and got around 115kW. Some superchargers are just slower than others. It seems the more recently installed superchargers have a more consitent high charge rate.

5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

lol its not always going to be 115kw...it depends on your SOC which no one seems to state here.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  6. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

I was at the auburn, ma location and hit 117kw

• Like x 1
  7. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

Just completed a 2500 mile trip in my Model 3. Every supercharger gave 116-118 kW to start with, and didn’t drop below 100 kW until it was past 50% state of charge. I was very impressed, especially after coming from a Model S 60.

• Like x 3
  8. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

#8 Zoomit, Jun 4, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    I'm curious to hear if anyone exceeds this charging profile. It depicts 116kW peak, but as with @jtpassat and @TexasEV, there are accounts of a very slightly higher (117-119kW) plateau. This doesn't depict the ramp up during the first few minutes.

But for the taper after ~140 rated miles, I'd like to hear if anyone has charged above the line. Please let us know the conditions (previous battery usage, power, SOC or rated miles, etc).

[​IMG]

• Like x 1
  9. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

D2D11A76-3F99-4D69-AE46-93E4FC2740DA.png I actually made a video and looking at the video I peaked at 119kw. I had about 82 miles remaining when I started.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  10. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

New winner! Did it start tapering down at 130 rm?

11. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

Didn’t pay attention after that :)

12. vadimr

vadimr Member

Both times SOC was around 47%.

First charger in East Greenwich was the one where I saw 111kw or so before the charger stopped working and the Sagamore beach, MA was like 67 peak before it dropped to 40s on all stalls.

13. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

I wouldn’t expect to get full 115kw+ at that SOC unless I’m missing something ..I have 100 battery so my taper goes much higher :rolleyes:

14. Brentt

Brentt Member

Charged This evening in Joplin Mo.
    Started out at 117 KW
    SOC was about 30% and 90 miles of rated range.
    Temp outside 80 degrees.
    458 MPH. Thank you Tesla :)

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  15. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

What you’re missing is we’re talking about the Model 3, not the Model S.

16. DarylLafferty

DarylLafferty Member

I just completed my first long-range trip, and looked at MPH instead, didn't even notice the power level.

I got 488 MPH at Cabazon in southern California. Highest I've seen so far, but I don't have any photographic evidence.

• Informative x 1
  17. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

Sure it wasn’t 388 mph? I’m going to need a picture to believe it. 488mph would be about 150kW.

18. MrRandyB

MrRandyB Member

I got 481

B0646249-2936-40E0-AEBC-D7A56D4B3893.jpeg

19. gtmotor

gtmotor Member

117 kw up to about 50% SOC then it drops to the 103-107 range until about 80%, then really tapers from there.

I charged in 109 degree weather and still got 117 kw from 20-50%

• Like x 1
  20. Zoomit

Zoomit Member

This file doesn’t open for me.
    That’s an impressive charge rate. I would love to see video or pictures of it charging at ~100kW at 80%.

• Like x 1