Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will Martin do Next?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The following is from martin's blog:

"Is Martin secretly planning to get back in the mix? Didn’t he say something about “after Nov.” awhile ago ? Sergey Brin of Google has a blog now. In the best of all worlds Google should have funded Tesla entirely from the start. Their funding of projects is great-they should keep it up and increase it. Al Gore is on their board right?- that “can’t be bad”.

Martin sez:
I think it’s a good bet that I will be up to something new come November. Odds are also that I will need to be secretive about it for a while. The nature of new ventures…
Comment by TJ September 20, 2008 @ 3:46 pm "

Confirmed: Tesla Co-Founder Eberhard working with Volkswagen - Autoblog Green

We've asked Eberhard for a comment on the situation and he has confirmed that he is indeed doing work with Volkswagen. Eberhard declined to provide any other details at this time other than to say, " my interests have not changed a lot." We certainly aren't surprised to see him involved because of his passion for electric vehicles. The U.S. is also a primary market for electrics being because of California mandates.

Sie beraten derzeit Volkswagen. Woran arbeiten Sie hier?

Das darf ich nicht sagen. Nur so viel: Ich arbeite in zwei Teams. Eines im Silicon Valley, eines in Deutschland. Wenn die beiden zusammen kommen, entsteht eine magische Synergie. Das visionäre Out-of-the-box-Denken eines Silicon-Valley-Ingenieurs und das präzise mathematische Denken eines deutschen Ingenieurs: mehr geht nicht.

Translated by google:

They advise current Volkswagen. What are you working here?

That I can not. Only this: I work in two teams. One of Silicon Valley, one in Germany. When the two come together, create a magical synergy. The visionary out-of-the-box thinking of a Silicon Valley engineer and the precise mathematical thinking of a German engineer: more not.

Cleaned up by me:

You are currently advising [consulting for] Volkswagen. What are you working on here [in Germany]?

That I am not permitted to say [divulge]. Only this much: I work in two teams. One in Silicon Valley, one in Germany. When the two come together, a magical synergy is created. The visionary out-of-the-box thinking of a Silicon Valley engineer and the precise mathematical thinking of a German engineer: it could not be better.

Martin Eberhard’s Leaving Volkswagen

The battery guru has been advising Volkswagen and its many brands on electric cars for about a year, working out of the automaker’s Electronics Research Lab in Palo Alto, California. But his contract is about up, he tells us, and won’t be renewed. Eberhard is raising money for another startup. He wouldn’t tell us what it was, but it involves cars.

I hope it's something cool.
Although rumors swirled that Eberhard and the German conglomerate differed on the future of EV architecture, both Eberhard and Volkswagen said the parting was amicable.
My translation: Martin was hoping for more aggressive adoption of BEVs in the lineup and they weren't having it, so why sit around and wait for it?