Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would you do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering if I could poll forum members on my situation. Long story short, I have an early VIN 90 D model X which Tesla is re-purchasing for multiple ongoing issues. I do love the driving experience of MX and I am planning on purchasing a replacement. I am getting around $100k back from Tesla and my goal is not to add to much to that sum when I get a replacement. Here are the options as I see it:

1. Order new 100D, skip PUP and get cloth interior. My current MX has PUP (or the old version of it) and I honestly use nothing from it. I turned off the automatic door first day I got the car.

2. Order new 75D, fully loaded. Not my favorite option since I am driving 90D.

3. Wait for an inventory car. This is what I did with my current car and I like this option best, but supply is dry right now. I can wait another month or so to see if some new inventory pops up.

What would you do?

If you really don't use any of the PUP, you could get the 75D without it too and save some money. But I think deep down you really wanted the 100D. We didn't think we need any of the PUP function also but since ours was a showroom car and it came with them, so we took them. After using the auto-present door, it is not easy to get used to a normal car. I got a MS loaner with auto presenting door "handle". I was looking at it and thought for a sec.. what? I have to pull the door open myself?? LOL. The upgraded sound on the PUP is also really good, but $6K is quite a bit though.

If we get to choose again, we will probably get the 100D though. The extra range is not that much but make you feel much safer.

Thanks everyone.

Does anyone have textile seats? How do they compare to leather? I have old UW ventilated seats in my current MX and I seriously LOVE them. It’s like seating on air.

I turned off automatic door because I hate how when I go into garage to get something, the door automatically opens up. Drives me nuts. I am happy to push the button. Door closure with pedal push comes standard now. Bio defense I can live without. Would like to have a upgraded stereo but not for 6k. Just my thoughts.

Really hoping to see some inventory deals in the next few weeks.

What is the Delta between the $100,000 and the 100D as you would configure it?

I speced out a current Model S and note the PUP includes "heated steering wheel" which is a must for me. the rest i could honestly live without. but you are in LA, land of amazing climate!!

how many miles would you be giving up between your current 90D if you went with a 75D. in my case with the S it would be 6 miles or 9-10 miles because I like to drive FAST.

So Delta between equally specked 75 and 100 is about 18k taxes included. My current 90D with all the degradation is about 228 miles at 90 percent charged. In my heart, I know I should go for 100D. But 18k for a few more miles which mostly I don’t use? We don’t go on long trips. I charge at home. I have never gone below 30 percent charge on my 90D.

If I skipped PUP and went with cloth seats, I could justify 100D. But fully loaded extra $20 plus grand seems like too much especially given the experience I’ve had with my early VIN model.

Really hoping for inventory 100D!

What is the Delta between the $100,000 and the 100D as you would configure it?

I speced out a current Model S and note the PUP includes "heated steering wheel" which is a must for me. the rest i could honestly live without. but you are in LA, land of amazing climate!!

how many miles would you be giving up between your current 90D if you went with a 75D. in my case with the S it would be 6 miles or 9-10 miles because I like to drive FAST.

We had same dilemma, but ended up with 100d. Glad we got that battery. Also went with leather seats, far better than the cloth ones which were on a loaner. The other feature I like was upgraded stereo. Everyone comments what a wonderful sound system it has.

We've (meaning 'i") had the X back & forth to the shop enough days/instances where we could go lemon, but the primary driver (better ½) says she loves it too much. Well yea - she doesn't have to be bad cop, - yours truly has to keep making the drive back & forth.
I suggested to her - since our AP2 is a joke still - compared to AP1, & - Tesla had just discontinued vented seats we'd ordered - i suggested we find an AP1 used ... any source, where we could find one with vented seats, no ghosting & be done with all the nickel & dime things our present X is plagued with. Maybe do something like that?

Reactions: rjdoc74
I turned off automatic door because I hate how when I go into garage to get something, the door automatically opens up. Drives me nuts.

It drove me nuts too at first! But then I realized the door will close itself once you move away with the keyfob. So now I am just thinking it as the car saying hi to me "Hey you I saw you, visit me more often at the garage okay?" :p

I read here that the 75D battery degradation is not as bad as the 90D. Also the new 75D should have 85kWh battery. I have not look under the car to see what's mine yet. I only have it for a month, but so far my 90% went from 210 to 214.. it actually went upward.

You have to buy it before Jan 31? Isn't that when free supercharging from referral ends? Or you don't really care about free supercharging?

Totally see your point. But I don’t think buying an AP1 car now is a good idea. I drove a few loaners and it seems AP2 has achieved parity now. I think if you are getting a car for long hawl (which I am), getting an AP1 car would be a mistake. Plus no tax credit either.

We've (meaning 'i") had the X back & forth to the shop enough days/instances where we could go lemon, but the primary driver (better ½) says she loves it too much. Well yea - she doesn't have to be bad cop, - yours truly has to keep making the drive back & forth.
I suggested to her - since our AP2 is a joke still - compared to AP1, & - Tesla had just discontinued vented seats we'd ordered - i suggested we find an AP1 used ... any source, where we could find one with vented seats, no ghosting & be done with all the nickel & dime things our present X is plagued with. Maybe do something like that?

I have free supercharging now, but don’t do it much. It would be nice to have it though. Especially it would be tied to you and not the car forever.

If I don’t get an inventory car until next Wednesday (wishful thinking), I will order new at 11:59 pm 1/31 and will have 72 hours to cancel without penalty. Maybe a better offer comes after 2/1?

It drove me nuts too at first! But then I realized the door will close itself once you move away with the keyfob. So now I am just thinking it as the car saying hi to me "Hey you I saw you, visit me more often at the garage okay?" :p

I read here that the 75D battery degradation is not as bad as the 90D. Also the new 75D should have 85kWh battery. I have not look under the car to see what's mine yet. I only have it for a month, but so far my 90% went from 210 to 214.. it actually went upward.

You have to buy it before Jan 31? Isn't that when free supercharging from referral ends? Or you don't really care about free supercharging?

If you order now you probably won’t get it until end of quarter? By then I suppose the inventory cars will start showing up. My understanding is that you can switch the deposit to the inventory purchase without penalty.

The best scenario would be getting an inventory 100D, even with little discounts if it’s brand new. I have a 60D and like you don’t do much long range driving and if it wasn’t the performance update I wouldn’t have unlocked to 75D and not for the range. However, if I was to replace my car from buyback (just got my car back and it was their very last chance to see if the problems come back), I would go for a 100D.

I think getting an AP1 is a mistake. AP2 is definitely at parity from the loaner I got. It should only get better moving forward. They have reached the capacity of what AP1 could handle.

Are you sure that supercharging promo is tied to your lifetime, and not just this new S or X, while you own it?

I am pretty sure. When I paid for my current X in 12/16, supercharging was tied to the car. I rushed to get it before years end before promo was ending 1/15/17. Guess what? 2 weeks later they brought it back and tied it to the person rather than the car. I was pissed.