Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's everyones insurance renewals this year?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insurers will only allow you one set of NCB per vehicle. For example; you build up 9 yrs NCB on a car then buy a second car. You can use the NCB on one car but the other becomes 0 NCB.

This is bonkers as the NCB relates to the driver. But that’s the way they work (stitch us up).
I’ve got 21 years NCB which is currently on the Tesla.

I had a second car with accrued NCB however because I sold it over 3 years ago the NCB simply vanished. Use it or lose it apparently.

However have changed to a multi-car policy with Admiral and they have extended the NCB to cover the new car. Fine with me.

You'll probably get the difference back in about 3 weeks fuel costs 👍
Unless you rely on public chargers then I'm afraid as in my experience, its costing more than it did in my previously thirsty petrol, but that's another story.

Anyway...

I got a fright last year with insurance, my then current provider wanted £1900 or something and after searching around for a couple of weeks, I got it down, but for the first time in close to 20 years, I had to pay over £500 This was with Bell, who as it happens haven't offered me a renewal quote.

Nearer 50 than 40, driving since it was legal, no claims, parked in driveway overnight and the lowest I'm getting so far is around the £1000 mark with a £700 excess. This was with Esure or Churchill I believe. Also, for kicks ran a few quotes with my old car and a couple of other potential Tesla replacements (all conventional fuel) and we're back in sub £300 land.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau

I had a second car with accrued NCB however because I sold it over 3 years ago the NCB simply vanished. Use it or lose it apparently.

However have changed to a multi-car policy with Admiral and they have extended the NCB to cover the new car. Fine with me.
21 years NCB sounds cool, but insurers do not give a crap about it. max NCB is 10 years (or 9) and after that there is no additional discount bonus

Not strictly true....ClassicLine give additional discounts beyond 10 years.
Its niche albeit AXA and Admiral do take 20+ NCB into consideration. Ive found that some years it works and other years it doesn't matter. Regardless, my advice is to make sure you get "what you give" plus one regardless at the end of the term.

"what you give"..... very often you will not be asked for proof these days. Please do not assume that they have checked a database for it hence why they have not asked. It is random and they will often just ask 2 out of ten for proof of NCB. You can request your proper amount of NCB regardless of what they say and since often they did not get proof from the previous year, you are at least able to still provide it at this point (if asked) so they can tot up.

Very recently I had a balls ache with this just because I had not been asked for proof of NCB since 2017 and had to do a lot of legwork back to 2010 since I had declared 20+ NCB but my last proof of NCB said only 9+ (I had not even thought about it when I sent it)

Needless to say that I hope I have no claims for the next year and this insurance company (broker) shall not get my business ever as they were just chancing for an extra premium of £34 plus £50 admin fee! :mad:

Its niche albeit AXA and Admiral do take 20+ NCB into consideration. Ive found that some years it works and other years it doesn't matter. Regardless, my advice is to make sure you get "what you give" plus one regardless at the end of the term.

"what you give"..... very often you will not be asked for proof these days. Please do not assume that they have checked a database for it hence why they have not asked. It is random and they will often just ask 2 out of ten for proof of NCB. You can request your proper amount of NCB regardless of what they say and since often they did not get proof from the previous year, you are at least able to still provide it at this point (if asked) so they can tot up.

Very recently I had a balls ache with this just because I had not been asked for proof of NCB since 2017 and had to do a lot of legwork back to 2010 since I had declared 20+ NCB but my last proof of NCB said only 9+ (I had not even thought about it when I sent it)

Needless to say that I hope I have no claims for the next year and this insurance company (broker) shall not get my business ever as they were just chancing for an extra premium of £34 plus £50 admin fee! :mad:
When I insured with Elephant and Bell years ago they used to routinely ask for proof of NCB on renewal, but I haven’t been asked for a while now.

Just checked my renewal docs and summary of insurance and it’s listed in several places.

Actually it’s 23 years of NCB that I’ve accrued. I’m definitely (defiantly?) getting old! 🤣