Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's gone wrong with your Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i've had an exciting new failure that i've not heard of before. a week or so ago i noticed that my charge port would sag a bit when i plugged in the HPC cable for nightly charging.

after bringing it in for service at menlo park yesterday, today tesla informed me:

After inspecting the charge port, it seems the charge port has de-bonded from the panel. We’ll need to remove surrounding panels to fully expose the area, clean, prep and rebond the charge port.

This job is quite extensive and will keep you posted as it progresses.

ho ho ho.

fwiw, i also had a tire pressure monitor error warning, but those i have pretty much all the time. those little guys are the reliably least reliable part of my roadster experience.

i've had an exciting new failure that i've not heard of before. a week or so ago i noticed that my charge port would sag a bit when i plugged in the HPC cable for nightly charging.

Some owners have debonded their connector in the process of replacing with a J17772 socket. Maybe this is the time to update to a Tesla 2.0 plug and socket.

Hello:)

i have a 2012 Roadster, brand new from may 2012. I have driven ca 18000km with almost no problems:

* new rear tires at ca 10.000km
* some noise from the suspension in front/rear - still from left rear. Nothing is loose, might from other components in the body of the car. Will be checked at first service.
* the car was terrible to drive, had to adjust the toe-angels in front and rear. It was wrong adjusted from factory! WARRANY issue.
* bad respons from keyfob
* lock on the trunk fall off
* trunk freezes- not opening in cold weather

Just had tire pressure monitor fail ..... Replaced at DC store ( whoops ... That's show room .... Sorry Mass) and no problems since.
Had the drivers side heater modification installed and it seems to work.
My car was born July 1, 2011 and has 22500+ miles of fun fun fun...
Standard chargea t185 ; range cared at 238.

Power window mechanism failed. No Tesla store nearby and too cold to drive with the window down so had to shell out $480 to fix. Replacement assembly had to be shipped from Lotus, CA to a dealership in Atlanta. They would not drop ship.

Oh, and as far as history: the TPMS controller (of course), PEM, 12V motorcycle battery (that powers the door locks before car is turned on, etc.).

Anyone else biting their nails now that their car is out of warranty and Tesla is fizzling on the extended maintenance agreement? Is there a thread devoted to that topic?

My PEM just failed for the second time. First time under warranty. Second time not. Tesla Burlingame has told me that since they don't open up the PEM to repair it, I'll have to buy a brand new one for $10,000. Gas savings are nice, but cost of ownership on an out of warranty Roadster is horrendous.

TPMS has also failed now for the second time.

Yeah, good idea. From reading the forums, whether you pay $10, $1,000 or $10,000 to have your PEM fixed seems to depend on which service center and which tech you get. Unfortunate that I have to have my Roadster towed from one service center to another like I'm playing the lottery.

Tesla's service model of just wholesale replacing and not repairing expensive/important pieces of the car works fine when cars are under warranty. It's not tenable in the long run though when they expect people to pay big bags of money without any regard to the actual repair cost. They're not going to give you a new PEM. They're going to give you a refurbished one. It might have cost Tesla $10 to replace a fuse in the refurbished PEM that they give you. Or maybe it cost them $5000 because everything in it was fried. How many people with Model S's are going to be happy to get $20k repair bills for drivetrain replacements? At some point, they will need to chop up the service into more manageable chunks. That will especially be true when the Model 3 comes out.

Aspirant, since you live in the bay area, I would definitely go around to some other service centers and see if you get a different answer. Roadster service seems to be way better in the bay area than anywhere else.

Make sure you talk to Johnny Chan at the Tesla Burlingame SC - I had a problem with my PEM and it turned out to be a fried power transistor ($400 including parts/labor - after warranty had expired). Maybe the new guys are
reluctant to debug PEM problems -

My PEM just failed for the second time. First time under warranty. Second time not. Tesla Burlingame has told me that since they don't open up the PEM to repair it, I'll have to buy a brand new one for $10,000. Gas savings are nice, but cost of ownership on an out of warranty Roadster is horrendous.

TPMS has also failed now for the second time.

Last edited:
("someone" may be really quick to call this an "advertisement) But... This is all exactly why I feel like there should be more players at the table, Tesla can't and shouldn't be the ONLY source for these repairs... Yes, they are complicated and yes, they are outside of the skill set of mechanics, but there is a trained workforce out there capable of this type of work and especially if Tesla provides access to service information.

I may be wrong but my opinion is that Tesla's "money maker" is selling cars, that is their primary revenue stream, not refurbishing/repairing electronics, that seems like a waste of time when they could be more dedicated to the advancement of their latest projects instead...

Yes, they are complicated and yes, they are outside of the skill set of mechanics, but there is a trained workforce out there capable of this type of work and especially if Tesla provides access to service information.
My concern is entrusting my Roadster to someone outside of Tesla who does not have access to full and complete service documentation from Tesla.
I agree with you that Tesla is not in business to make money servicing Roadsters, obviously. But if Tesla will not provide third parties with service documentation, speaking only for myself, I will take my Roadster to Tesla.

A Roadster is a slightly different proposition than say, a Porsche or a Ferrari. Porsche has training facilities for technicians, certification programs, real documentation. A Roadster is, fundamentally, a one-off prototype that is being serviced by an increasingly small pool of what amount to artisans. Personally, I would feel comfortable with an electrical engineer with a background in power systems working on the PEM, and would love for Tesla to just open-source the whole thing so we can get on with it.

Why do I feel this way? Well, maybe it's because my car has been at the service center since before Halloween for what amounts to a trivial problem (the reverse light was staying dimly lit when the car was off). Eventually, after about a week of dithering, they decided they needed to replace the PEM, and for some reason it took weeks (!) for them to get their hands on one. Fortunately I caught this problem a day or two before my extended warranty ran out, otherwise I would be looking at a $10000 bill for what probably amounts to a $0.04 part and a few hours of skilled debugging labor. This forum has a thread dedicated to other folks with the same reverse-light problem, so I figure it's a design flaw.

Tesla's service model is completely, ludicrously broken. I don't expect them to fix it for us few Roadster owners, but they need to do something. A lot of us Roadster owners are engineers - give us the schematics and firmware, and we'll take care of 90% of this stuff ourselves.

I'm still waiting for my car (though OVMS showed me they test drove it today, so I'm hoping I get it back soon).

UPDATE: just got a call from the SC - the new PEM didn't fix the problem, so they put the old one back in, then decided maybe they should switch out the tail lights. That did the trick. 6 weeks in a loaner for a busted tail light. Broken service model, I tell ya.

Last edited:
Last month I took my Roadster in for its first annual maintenance. The car was in great shape, needed only a new windshield wiper. Over the first year of its life a number of minor problems did occur however. Here is list of what I can remember from the first year / 6500 miles:

1) Passenger side door stopped opening, wiring problem corrected.
2) Rear reflectors both fell off the car.
3) Back up monitor stopped functioning, camera needed replacement
4) Water ingress above driver side door, needed re-sealing.
5) Spare charger broke, exchanged for new one
6) Squeeky noises from the suspension, not sure what was done to correct it.

Not TOO bad I guess, and so far other than a wiper blade and new tires installed last week, the cost of driving the car has been the cost of electricity to power it only. I'm happy I have two years left on the warranty, but a bit scared to imagine what might happen after that! What kinds of things have needed repair or replacement on your Roadster?
Nothing