Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best home charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You didn't say which Tesla you got, or what its on-board charge capability is... but if it's on the low end maybe just get a second Tesla UMC and a NEMA 15-40 outlet in the garage as your home charge setup.

You can grab this UMC if your portable one you keep in the car ever lets you down.

You didn't say which Tesla you got, or what its on-board charge capability is... but if it's on the low end maybe just get a second Tesla UMC and a NEMA 15-40 outlet in the garage as your home charge setup.

You can grab this UMC if your portable one you keep in the car ever lets you down.

Sorry, I have the 100D. It has the higher charging rate option.
And I have no idea what a UMC is, sorry. :eek:
I'm not an idiot, just new to all this.
Thanks again!

Sorry if this question has been beaten to death. I live in the US and have a model S. Just wanted to know if there is a better charger to get than the one Tesla offers.
Thanks.
- Eliot

Get the Tesla wall connector. Best $500 you’ll spend. Think of it as your own personal garage fuel station.

If you want to charge the fastest AC available, also be able to take care of any visitors...

70/80A Level 2 EVSE CS-100 Hardwired | ClipperCreek

Clipper Creek's CS-100 is the solution... It's also over $2k

The point really is, what are you trying to do? Charge your car? As quickly as possible? Just overnight? Charge visiting non-Tesla cars also?

It matters, because the chargers are in the cars, and you are just routing power to them. So, all you care about is (1) the plugs (for non-Teslas) and (2) the size of the straw the power goes through. The UMC (the cord the car comes with) can't handle as much power as the 'Tesla Wall Connector' if you wire it (Wall Connector) with the maximum cable, etc. If your car can handle it. And yours (with the 72 Amp charger) can.

So, there are a few variables to consider here!

There's also (3): Will you ever have more than one Tesla? We have the garage wired for two since we're getting a Model 3 soon. So, we have two HPWCs (Wall Connectors) and they share one 100 Amp connection, so can run up to 80 Amps total shared charging two cars. (See sig for pix.)

• Love
Reactions: FlyF4
Sorry, I have the 100D. It has the higher charging rate option.
And I have no idea what a UMC is, sorry. :eek:
I'm not an idiot, just new to all this.
Thanks again!
UMC is the Universal Mobile Connector, which comes with the car along with two adapters, NEMA 5-15 ( normal household outlet, 120V 15A) and NEMA14-50 (240V, 50A). You can buy other adapters for it. If you install a 14-50 outlet in your garage this may be all you need and will be your least expensive option. The Wall Connector can charge at higher rates to take advantage of your 72A charger in the car, but that’s only worthwhile if you need to charge faster.

By the way, the charger is in the car. What you plug into it is what Tesla calls a connector. Generically they’re referred to as EVSE— Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
Thanks for all the clarification. I didn't realize the charger etc. I was comparing to other HPWC's on amazon and they were slightly more expensive (700-800) so I was wondering if they had something that the Tesla HPWC didn't that's all. Thanks for the help.

Just trying to find the best answer as quick as I can. I doubt I wasted anyones time.
To get the answer as quick as possible, do a search and Rocky is implying that. I saw this question earlier and I did not answer because as Rocky said, I would have considered it a waste of my time. I figured you would find the answer by searching the thread if no one answers. Not trying to be snobby or rude, just trying to educate that searching really is the fastest way to get an answer and not causing repeated clutter. Best wishes on your selection and installation.

Electron22 is new to forums. Maybe we could cut a little slack here? Sheesh..... Nobody got hurt or lost money.... It's all good.

I have one of those Amazon (J1772 Siemens, LOVE it) chargers because I have a non-Tesla EV as well as my (soon to be delivered) 100D.

The 100D WILL charge on the Amazon (J1772) style charger with the supplied adapter, but the non-Tesla EV will not charge on a Tesla charger.

IF YOU DO NOT plan on having any other EVs or plan on only buying Tesla EVs then buy the Tesla wall charger. It's a Killer price and does the job nicely. If you plan on other EV cars that are non-Tesla, then get a J1772 Charging station.

Congrats on the car! I am jealous as mine has not arrived yet!

To get the answer as quick as possible, do a search and Rocky is implying that. I saw this question earlier and I did not answer because as Rocky said, I would have considered it a waste of my time. I figured you would find the answer by searching the thread if no one answers. Not trying to be snobby or rude, just trying to educate that searching really is the fastest way to get an answer and not causing repeated clutter. Best wishes on your selection and installation.

I actually did a search first. Several. On both sites. Everything that came up was from 2014 and 2016. I was also getting results that weren't helping me (mainly because I was searching for best charger and didn't realize the charger was in the car so I was searching for the wrong thing).
I am not new to forums and understand the rules. This has happened to me a few times before on other forums. Didn't expect it here. That's why I opened up the question with an apology because I knew the answer was already on here somewhere - I just couldn't find it.

Electron22 is new to forums. Maybe we could cut a little slack here? Sheesh..... Nobody got hurt or lost money.... It's all good.

I have one of those Amazon (J1772 Siemens, LOVE it) chargers because I have a non-Tesla EV as well as my (soon to be delivered) 100D.

The 100D WILL charge on the Amazon (J1772) style charger with the supplied adapter, but the non-Tesla EV will not charge on a Tesla charger.

IF YOU DO NOT plan on having any other EVs or plan on only buying Tesla EVs then buy the Tesla wall charger. It's a Killer price and does the job nicely. If you plan on other EV cars that are non-Tesla, then get a J1772 Charging station.

Congrats on the car! I am jealous as mine has not arrived yet!

Thank you for the reply. That is one of the ones I was looking at. I just have the Tesla and don't see myself having other EVs so I'm just going to go with the Tesla HPWC. Thanks again.

Reactions: GatorGuy and PJFW8
I actually did a search first. Several. On both sites. Everything that came up was from 2014 and 2016. I was also getting results that weren't helping me (mainly because I was searching for best charger and didn't realize the charger was in the car so I was searching for the wrong thing).
I get that. Search isn't the be-all and end-all. Sometimes you do need to go ahead and ask a question. That's fine.

Just trying to find the best answer as quick as I can. I doubt I wasted anyones time.
But this? How do you doubt this? It's right here. Here is what you did:

Let's say you're at your job, and you separately email two different departments to ask them to research the same thing and send you the information. After all, you're "just trying to find the best answer as quick as you can". Don't you realize how irritating and inconsiderate that is to ask multiple groups of people to do the same redundant work? People are spending their time typing out answers to you, trying to be helpful, without knowing yet that it's useless because other people are already giving you that same information somewhere else. So you didn't understand that from 2 groups. What if it were 3 or 4?

So sure, ask a question if you want to--no problem with that. I get that search turns up older stuff and EV technology moves fast. But the considerate thing is to ask it somewhere first and give it a day or two to see the responses. If you're not getting answers and need to pursue it further, then sure, try again somewhere else.

This has happened to me a few times before on other forums. Didn't expect it here.
Oh, so you've done this before and people pointed out why it was inconsiderate, but you keep doing it? No comment.

I get that. Search isn't the be-all and end-all. Sometimes you do need to go ahead and ask a question. That's fine.

But this? How do you doubt this? It's right here. Here is what you did:

Let's say you're at your job, and you separately email two different departments to ask them to research the same thing and send you the information. After all, you're "just trying to find the best answer as quick as you can". Don't you realize how irritating and inconsiderate that is to ask multiple groups of people to do the same redundant work? People are spending their time typing out answers to you, trying to be helpful, without knowing yet that it's useless because other people are already giving you that same information somewhere else. So you didn't understand that from 2 groups. What if it were 3 or 4?

So sure, ask a question if you want to--no problem with that. I get that search turns up older stuff and EV technology moves fast. But the considerate thing is to ask it somewhere first and give it a day or two to see the responses. If you're not getting answers and need to pursue it further, then sure, try again somewhere else.

Oh, so you've done this before and people pointed out why it was inconsiderate, but you keep doing it? No comment.

LOL you're a real piece of work Rocky.

I'm sorry but I don't see your point at all. I asked a simple question on two different forums. It's not rude. It was actually useful because I got a variety of different answers in both forums and everyone except you seemed to enjoy giving their feedback.

When I said that this has happened to me before I was referring to the snobbish assholes making people feel shitty for asking a simple question - not for double posting.

No worries. I get that you are pissed and you have a right to be - I just don't see it that way. Even if I was combing through both forums and came across the same question by the same person it just wouldn't bother me.

IF YOU DO NOT plan on having any other EVs or plan on only buying Tesla EVs then buy the Tesla wall charger. It's a Killer price and does the job nicely. If you plan on other EV cars that are non-Tesla, then get a J1772 Charging

Just FYI, I have the Tesla Wall Charger and it does charge non Tesla cars. At least it charged a Mercedes plugin GLS.

I think the only thing to gain by a third party EVSE is smarts and internet integration. A lot of the newest ones connect to your home WiFi and can track how much electricity the car is using, connect directly to OhmConnect for OhmHours, Alexa integration, etc. That can be a nice feature. The only way to track electricity use with a Tesla wall charger is one of the 3rd party apps, which can sometimes cause extra battery drain.

But you gotta use your adapter daily and open your charge port manually vs with the HPWC button. So it is a trade off.