Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the latest on the $5k refund for Performance version buyers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excuse my ignorance, but isn't the refund only available for those who bought the Performance Upgrades package at the additional cost of $5k (ie. the "+"?)

It might end up being that way... but Elon's tweets mentioned refunds for performance 3s and nothing package specific. We'll know more if a policy comes out. People with and without the PUP that ordered before the price changes but taken delivery after have reported that they received discounts though.

At this point, they're all just "P3D"s

It might end up being that way... but Elon's tweets mentioned refunds for performance 3s and nothing package specific. We'll know more if a policy comes out. People with and without the PUP that ordered before the price changes but taken delivery after have reported that they received discounts though.

Aah, got it! Thanks for the info, will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Excuse my ignorance, but isn't the refund only available for those who bought the Performance Upgrades package at the additional cost of $5k (ie. the "+"?)

Why would that be the case if, based on simple math, buyers of both kinds paid 5k more than they should have? I posted this elsewhere and until/if I try for a refund who knows but this is what I got from Tesla

"We are still awaiting final details internally but my understanding is that it applies to ALL performance Model 3's that received free Supercharging for life."

when I asked about the refund story.

Indeed. This +/- thing is stupid.

It always was, I don't know which idiot came up with it, but for the purpose of understanding what choices people made regarding FSC or whether they will accept the Performance Upgrade Pack (as it was) for free, or $5k refund etc., it's going to be important to differentiate the two.

I put PUP in my sig and when this thing blows over I'll probably just refer to my car as the Performance version.

Why would that be the case if, based on simple math, buyers of both kinds paid 5k more than they should have?

Not sure that math checks out.

People who paid 5k for options that are now free surely paid 5k more than they should have because they can get an identical car $5000 cheaper now.

But the 3D- owners got exactly what they paid for. There's no option today to get that same car $5000 cheaper. (or at all- so if you really wanted THAT config you'd be worse off buying today instead of when you did- I know forcing the 20s on me would've made it even LESS likely I'd consider getting a P for example).

So it's not really apples to apples there.

If I'm Tesla what I'd offer is this:

P3D+ buyers get 5k back if they ask (or FUSC if they prefer and don't already have it).

P3D- buyers get $0 back, as they got the car they asked for and the price on THAT hasn't changed-that config was simply discontinued- but if they really complained and didn't have FUSC I might throw that in as a courtesy.

(and FWIW I'm going to keep using +/- in the discussion because it's massively quicker than typing out "With Performance Upgrade Package added" and "Without Performance Upgrade Package added" and Tesla was silly enough to call it that when they already had a PUP option in the system...)

People who paid 5k for options that are now free surely paid 5k more than they should have because they can get an identical car $5000 cheaper now.

<snip>

P3D- buyers get $0 back, as they got the car they asked for and the price on THAT hasn't changed-that config was simply discontinued- but if they really complained and didn't have FUSC I might throw that in as a courtesy.

I couldn't disagree more strongly, matter of fact I think your logic is kinda BS. Somehow my decision (and many others) not to purchase larger rims/tires is invalidated in your scenario where in the end I paid 5k and didn't get all the extras - but tough cookies cause I bought the instant I was allowed to?

I've posted before, my exchange with Tesla

"We are still awaiting final details internally but my understanding is that it applies to ALL performance Model 3's that received free Supercharging for life. Definitely an interesting turn of events, let me know if I can answer anymore questions, thank you! "

I gotta be honest here, I'm not sure anyone who already has delivery of their car is entitled to anything but if Tesla claims they overpriced the Performance car, I'm not going to try to create some logic that devalues folks who didn't want the full monty...

FWIW I'm going to keep using +/- i

Knock yourself out. There never was an option to buy a performance model and subtract stuff from it but if it floats your boat have at it.. meanwhile in my sig...

I couldn't disagree more strongly, matter of fact I think your logic is kinda BS. Somehow my decision (and many others) not to purchase larger rims/tires is invalidated in your scenario where in the end I paid 5k and didn't get all the extras - but tough cookies cause I bought the instant I was allowed to?

...what?

You did not pay 5k extra.

Just the opposite, you chose not to

So it's weird you think someone owes you 5k you didn't actually spend.

Doubly so when you didn't want the stuff you got for that 5k anyway (those larger rims and such).

Again- the P3D+ people got kind of screwed because someone who bought one the day before the change literally paid $5000 more than the guy who bought the same car the next day.

P3D- people however never had an option to get their same config for $5000 less money. Their config simply ceased to exist.

Not sure how you don't get that those are different situations.

I've posted before, my exchange with Tesla

"We are still awaiting final details internally but my understanding is that it applies to ALL performance Model 3's that received free Supercharging for life. Definitely an interesting turn of events, let me know if I can answer anymore questions, thank you! "

And others have posted things from Tesla saying exactly the opposite.

Teslas front-line reps frequently contradict each other before Tesla gets around to issuing something official

Knock yourself out. There never was an option to buy a performance model and subtract stuff from it

There was always an option to buy a Performance car with, or without, the 5k package (until now) and +/- is the quickest and most obvious way to distinguish one from the other.

I paid the same amount for what now gets extra parts for that amount; like I said that was then and this is now. Your logic suggests no existing owner gets anything back and that makes the most sense to me.

yes but those were extra parts you had the option to get for 5k more and chose not to.

If you HAD paid 5k for them, and overnight they were suddenly being given away free, you might want your 5k back. That's what happened to some P3D+ buyers...but not P3D- ones.

where this gets extra interesting is Teslas previous statements on track mode.

Where they said only the P3D+ gets it.... and that they're working on a paid post delivery upgrade option for the P3D- owners to be able to get it (which everyone assumes means upgrading to the P3D+ brakes and wheels)

So if that option becomes a real thing I think it'd be reasonable to offer THAT for free to P3D- owners now....since charging them for it would be pretty nuts not that they're including it free with all Ps.

If instead they abandon that line and just decide all versions of the P get track mode that's another story.

• Disagree
Reactions: Stacks
Agreeing to not agree with your logic, thanks for playing! :)

Oh and Elon did say all Performance 3 get track mode fwiw

Screen Shot 2018-11-07 at Nov 7, 9.48.31 AM .png

Here is the economic response:

P3+ folks got screwed much harder.

The P+ folks laid out an extra 5000 in cash.

Some owners could have saved 5000 if they took delivery 24 hours later. 5000 in cash. Not a perceived 5000 but an actual 5000. CASH MONEY. What’s worse is that 5000 loss compounds forever so the opportunity cost over a long time is much worse than 5000.

P- folks missed out on 5000 in upgrades. Upgrades they did not value at 5000. We know this because they would have paid 5000 for it like the P+ buyers.

No ones car was actually devalued by 5000, that’s not how depreciation works.

However the P+ Buyers got devalued harder than the P- buyers because the MSRP is higher. The higher the MSRP the higher the devaluation.