Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the max bitrate for bluetooth audio between phone and Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would really love to see a widely implemented lossless Bluetooth codec too.
What bitrate would that require? And does Bluetooth audio currently support a high enough bitrate?

CDs are at 1.4Mbps but that is a RAW, format without any compression, either lossy or lossless, applied. I believe lossless FLAC files are typically around 1Mbps. Can Bluetooth support that?

What bitrate would that require? And does Bluetooth audio currently support a high enough bitrate?

CDs are at 1.4Mbps but that is a RAW, format without any compression, either lossy or lossless, applied. I believe lossless FLAC files are typically around 1Mbps. Can Bluetooth support that?

Depends on the source. CD quality lossless should be doable (it's still compressed, but using lossless compression, similar to FLAC or ALAC) even without the 3.0+HS / 4.0 higher data rates (which basically use Bluetooth to set up wifi type higher bandwidth links). With those rates (more and more common, though unsupported by the Model S, far as I've ever heard - but could be surprised) could do it (and > CD quality) easily though.

The (hypothetical) lossless version of Apt-X sounds great spec-wise (maybe too great?). It can support up to 96Kbit sampling rates and up to 24 bit sample depth (wouldn't use those over a normal Bluetooth link though). It has an interesting hybrid mode where it can be lossless up to a bitrate cap, then start doing lossy compression if lossless for a particular segment of time would be over cap. It all sounds great… just wish it was actually shipping.

I suspect it's mostly a golden ear problem, and that people are satisfied enough with Apt-X and AAC in practice, such that they don't necessarily even know (or could hear) that it isn't lossless. Still would like to see it happen though (lossless), and even if lossless never happens, they *need* to add Apt-X given the lack of support for AAC in a lot of Android phones (but the ubiquitous support of Apt-X).