TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the most you've ever paid to charge an EV?

Discussion in 'Supercharging & Charging Infrastructure' started by ckoval7, Oct 28, 2019.

?

What's the most you've ever paid to charge an EV?

1. $0.01 - $0.10 per kWh

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. $0.11 - $0.20 per kWh

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. $0.21 - $0.30 per kWh

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. $0.31 - $0.40 per kWh

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. $0.41 - $0.50 per kWh

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  6. $0.51 - $0.60 per kWh

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. > $0.60 per kWh

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. I've never paid a dime to charge my car

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. ckoval7

ckoval7 Mild One

Whenever I go somewhere unfamiliar, I like to look around plugshare and get an idea of what chargers are near by and what they might cost. A few months ago, I was out in some tiny town in Indiana. There was only one charger that was charging $0.40 per kWh. Ouch! That's just as expensive as gas. Luckily I wasn't driving out there. I figured they could get away with that rate because they're the only game in town.

This weekend I was spending some time in DC. I opened up plugshare and looked at what was near by. There were several chargers that cost $0.55 for "non-members" and $0.45 for "members" of whatever screwed up charging network that was. That is pretty insane, and even more expensive than gas.

I've never paid for charging outside my own home. If I ever have to, I hope its not at rates like those!

2. webbah

webbah Member

Depends on where you live. In Switzerland it’s common to see DC chargers at 0.45 Chf per kWh (1 to 1 with USD) however gas here costs 1.80 per liter or close to $7-8 a gallon....

3. doghousePVD

doghousePVD Member

I voted "nada", but that's not quite true. Two or three times I had to pay for parking to access a Supercharger.

Home is not free; 22¢ kwh in RI. Free lifetime SC with my X.

4. scubastevo80

scubastevo80 Member

Home rate is 20c/kw, superchargers (used 2x in my model 3) are about 29c/kw. This is for NJ.

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Active Member

Non Tesla chargers can be expensive. Membership and amount of charging can change the numbers.
    Tesla is commonly the cheapest

6. pdxrajiv

pdxrajiv Member

Twice I have paid $7.50 (US) for a charging session. Once I needed only 30 miles of charge, so paid about $.75 per KWh.
    I did not stay longer to lower my per cents/KWh metric.:)

7. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

#7 ChadS, Nov 10, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 8:19 AM
    In April 2010 (when there were no charging stations North of San Francisco) my charging plans went awry because not all campgrounds understood what a "240V" outlet was. (They call them "50A" outlets; lesson learned).

So I had to stop at another campground without having called first. It was a KOA in Willits CA. They insisted on charging the overnight rate for a premium spot (despite being nearly empty on a very cold weekday morning and having cheaper 50A spots available), which was $47. I was charging at 10kW and was only there a little over 2 hours, so I paid about $2 per KWH.

That was way worse than anywhere else I have ever been. I started using Superchargers and Destination chargers in 2013, and I have almost never had to pay anything since.

By the way, that was in a Roadster, which did not allow HVAC use while charging. The temperature was about Freezing, but the campground center building was closed...so I hung out for 2 hours in the bathroom. (Fortunately there was only one other visitor during my stay). Truly a memorable charging stop.

• Funny x 1
  8. trekkie

trekkie Supporting Member

EVGo and their DCFC on my Bolt was over $1.30 a KW/h. They charged by time, not by wattage, and reset the charger every 45m because I was a 'pay as you go' vs a subscription. The first 45 minuge charge i got 26.260 kWh of electricity, and they charged me $16.89, and then my second charging session was 38m 31s and cost me $14.26 for 19.070 kWh.

It was my first time using a DCFC so I didn't realize when it hit 80% it slowed way down. I started at 75KW, slowed down to about 60KW, and flat-lined at 7KW when I hit 80%. This was September 2018. I never DCFC again after that, it was a single road trip I took just 'to see if I could' vs driving a gas car for a one time visit over to Charlotte for a business meeting.

I checked their website, and they still charge $0.30 a minute, not consumption based. if you pay $7.99 you get 29 minutes of DCFC a month and after it's $0.27 a minute. This is in North Carolina, it may be different as you have to pick a region to get a price. it looks though as if they charge per minute everywhere. For reference my home utility charge is $0.13 per KWh.

9. doghousePVD

doghousePVD Member

This thread confirms my decision not to buy a Chademo for my X.

10. Drax

Drax Member

The most I’ve paid to charge is at the Disneyland/Disney World properties via Chargepoint at $.35/kWh. I get why it’s that much in CA, but that’s ~3x the residential rate in Central Florida and it just bothers me... Not enough to not charge when we’re there, but it’s definitely annoying.