Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the next big thing for Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just more things to break. I have seen several with Model X doors with issues opening. I am glad my S does not have them.

Sure, it can break, but Tesla has done a good job so far improvING the reliability. I've had my X for a month and a half and they work flawlessly. You really get used to it, so much that stepping in a car without selfpresenting feels weird and old. It's the kind of option you don't think you need til you get it. I'd love the S to have this.

This is also covered by the warranty so like anything, you should be good to go for a while.

Reactions: croman
IMHO, wood in cars is so old school -- it all goes back to when some manufacturers built the frames out of wood. Who would want that today? Same with wood steering wheels and wood trim. Why not do it out of marble?:)
@9:35 :rolleyes:

You are SO right.
I owned an old (2005) C class, which actually had a very nice interior. My wife routinely gets E class loaners with the service on her ML 250, and I specifically decided that I did NOT want one based on the interiors of those cars. My DEC 2016 Model S (without PUP) is MUCH nicer than those cars. I suppose it is a matter of taste, but I find the minimalist ethos of the S much more refined.
Well that's just a bargain. I agree a 7 Series has a better interior, but the Model S is a step above an E class.
The latest E-Class? Because that has just been out there a bit over half a year.

Reactions: Lightmatrix
I'm still not sure why some of you think a HUD is a foregone conclusion... In a self driving car, it's absolutely unnecessary... You have to think like Elon/Tesla which is pushing very hard towards that eventuality so putting in things that take time and money to develop that aren't necessary on a self driving car just isn't likely to happen...

Jeff
I think a lot of us are reading between the lines. Obviously the Model 3 reveal has prompted most of the speculation. Having only a center screen to act as infotainment and vehicle information seems like a mistake and a poor user interface. The speculation about a HUD is a natural answer to those questions.

Also, there have been hires made by Tesla since the M3 reveal that drop some hints as well. The major one being a hire of one of the engineers behind the crowd-funded smart motorcycle helmet, Skully, that never really came to fruition. If you look up that project though, it was very ambitious and would have been amazing has they been able to do it. The main user interface for that was obviously HUD overlaid on the visor.

HUD makes a lot of sense because it also extends the general philosophy that Tesla seems to have that software will be a better solution than hardware for most functions of the car. For instance, our dashboards are already all screen. Not many other manufacturers were doing that at the time. A HUD makes even more sense because it's not limited by the form factor and placement of the dashboard screen. If the car is optioned or eventually becomes self-driving, the canvas of the windshield can be used for something other than driver control information in a way that would seem unnatural for a traditionally-placed dashboard screen. For instance, if my car was reliably autonomous, I might want to read the daily news on my HUD windshield rather than watch an irrelevant speed display. Obviously you wouldn't do that in your instrument binnacle.

• Informative
Reactions: DIL and docherf
Ya, let's keep our minds open. Looking around the industry and considering their developments. Also looking around the high tech industry is another source of new ideas. Just saw the speculation that Model 3 won't have air vents. It will be handled on a different interface, like a Dyson fan. When I ordered my MS in August 2014, who would of known the new stuff coming out then, like AP1 and D. So let your imagination run with it!

I think 2018 will start to see Satellite Internet/Communication's from Space X. Lots of possibilities for cars being able to talk to each other and not worry about cell service. Unless I missed it the 2013's only had 4 years of free AT&T and that should start coming to an end for some people.

Last edited:
I think 2018 will start to see Satellite Internet/Communication's from Space X. Lots of possibilities for cars being able to talk to each other and not worry about cell service. Unless I missed it the 2013's only had 4 years of free AT&T and that should start coming to an end for some people.

already in the planning stages Laser Light Communications

About Laser Light Communications (US)
Laser Light™ intends to deploy an All Optical Global Communications Network - HALO™. The service capacity of the planned HALO™ constellation of 8-12 Medium Earth Orbit satellites will be 7.2 Tbps, comprised of 48 sat-sat 200Gbps optical crosslinks and 72 sat-ground 100Gbps optical up/down links, without reliance on regulated radio frequency spectrum. Laser Light™ intends to interconnect its proposed HALO™ satellite system with over 100 customer Points of Presence clustered within 20 -25 SD-WAN's across the globe . The HALO™ network - satellite and SD-WAN's - will be cross-connected to Laser Light's proprietary extended ground network and its patented operating system, ensuring carrier grade service, enhanced redundancy, resiliency, and unprecedented security. HALO™ is designed to support its “OpticalSartellite as a Service” (OsaaS) product suite - Global Access 100Gbps Circuits and its proprietary HALO™ Direct Connect service - to global enterprises, data centers, media, finance firms; carriers; and government entities.
http://www.laserlightcomms.com