Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the Number for 911?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving a rural but high-traffic highway (US 6 from Price to SLC), I saw someone going the other direction flash their high beams. It took me a second to parse, so I looked in my mirror -- "Was that another red Tesla?" But as soon as I got around the curve, I saw what the problem was: debris all over the lanes ...and a pickup truck on the side of the road with a BADLY smashed front end -- a crash.

It wasn't safe to stop to check what was up, so I pushed the button on my steering wheel (my phone is paired) and said "Call 9-1-1". There was a pause, and then a message popped up: "No directory entry for nine-one-one."

That's right: my car didn't know the number for 911!

Seems to me, that's something the car should be able to do right out of the box!

(I called manually. Turns out it was so rural, there was no cell service. About the time I thought maybe I'd try again, I saw an ambulance running up the hill in that direction, so apparently someone else got it communicated.)

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
It's good that you wanted to help.

As I expect you know, the current software does not allow dialing a number by simply stating the digits you would like to dial. A simple work-around, for the future, would be to create an entry called "Emergency" or even "Nine OneOne" if you like, and then simply voice dial that entry in the future.

• Informative
Reactions: EVie'sDad
A simple work-around, for the future, would be to create an entry called "Emergency" or even "Nine OneOne" if you like, and then simply voice dial that entry in the future.

Yeah, as suggested by the response, that's what I'm doing -- "Nine One-One" so that it's more likely to get it correctly.

(The funny thing is, at home I am 911 -- I'm a volunteer first responder medic.)

Reactions: Andyw2100
Yeah, as suggested by the response, that's what I'm doing -- "Nine One-One" so that it's more likely to get it correctly.

(The funny thing is, at home I am 911 -- I'm a volunteer first responder medic.)

Funny you should mention this. As a first responder myself to crisis situations (Washington state designated mental health professional), I am frequently in contact with dispatch/911. I wanted to touch base while on my way to a situation, but the Tesla, as you learned, couldn't do it. Making a "Nine One One" contact did the trick.