TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What's the Number for 911?!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ThisIsTrue, Dec 27, 2016.

1. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

Driving a rural but high-traffic highway (US 6 from Price to SLC), I saw someone going the other direction flash their high beams. It took me a second to parse, so I looked in my mirror -- "Was that another red Tesla?" But as soon as I got around the curve, I saw what the problem was: debris all over the lanes ...and a pickup truck on the side of the road with a BADLY smashed front end -- a crash.

It wasn't safe to stop to check what was up, so I pushed the button on my steering wheel (my phone is paired) and said "Call 9-1-1". There was a pause, and then a message popped up: "No directory entry for nine-one-one."

That's right: my car didn't know the number for 911!

Seems to me, that's something the car should be able to do right out of the box!

(I called manually. Turns out it was so rural, there was no cell service. About the time I thought maybe I'd try again, I saw an ambulance running up the hill in that direction, so apparently someone else got it communicated.)

• Informative x 1
  2. Andyw2100

Andyw2100 Supporting Member

It's good that you wanted to help.

As I expect you know, the current software does not allow dialing a number by simply stating the digits you would like to dial. A simple work-around, for the future, would be to create an entry called "Emergency" or even "Nine OneOne" if you like, and then simply voice dial that entry in the future.

• Informative x 1
  3. ThisIsTrue

ThisIsTrue Member

Yeah, as suggested by the response, that's what I'm doing -- "Nine One-One" so that it's more likely to get it correctly.

(The funny thing is, at home I am 911 -- I'm a volunteer first responder medic.)

• Like x 1
  4. Mattzilla

Mattzilla Member

Funny you should mention this. As a first responder myself to crisis situations (Washington state designated mental health professional), I am frequently in contact with dispatch/911. I wanted to touch base while on my way to a situation, but the Tesla, as you learned, couldn't do it. Making a "Nine One One" contact did the trick.

• Like x 2
  5. HyperMiler

HyperMiler Member

In the day and age where other manufacturers have hardwired emergency buttons... . But no worries, Tesla will get around to it, too, as this (eCall) becomes the law as of April 2018, at least in Europe.

• Like x 1
  6. kort677

kort677 Active Member

I don't believe that the tesla can make any calls on it's own, the car pairs with your phone to make calls, and your contact list would need to have a contact for 911 to dial it automatically

7. byt

byt Member

#7 byt, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    I apologize if this is obvious but have you tried speaking "dial 9-1-1" verses saying call?

EDIT: Nevermind, I tried it and it didn't work! "Dial 6-1-1" and "Dial 4-1-1" however, did work! It seems very specific to 911!

• Like x 2
  8. Rockster

Rockster Active Member

Homer Simpson: "Operator, give me the number for 911."

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1