Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Whats the silliest EV prejudice youve heard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Peelz

Budding EV fanatic.
Apr 10, 2021
SE Iowa, the armpit.
You've heard(or more accurately read) them.

What is the craziest made up conjecture from the interwebz person OR real anti-ev person to use as a "gotcha" against them...

-the one I just heard yesterday was a kid complaining the snow doesn't melt from his hood because no engine-just anti tesla clickbait...

-But, my favorite is the political party affiliation thing. Me owning the car, gives someone that's tribally polarized the right to come at me with presumptions, that I couldn't care less about one way or another. I don't consider it a political view to want an dependable and fun climate friendly car that's fast also all hell and insanely cheap to operate, while never standing in the cold pumping gas.

I've obviously got a list but I'm curious what some others have experienced,

;)

I think the worst I've heard is that with electric cars, you can't drive in the rain or snow or everyone will get electrocuted.

"arent those like 480 volts? you afraid of getting shocked?" this came from a coworker who is supposedly a trained electronics technician, who just grinned when I told him they flow very little until they make a digital handshake... hadnt thought of it.

I've been told that my battery will need to be replaced after 100k miles by the neighborhood expert on everything
ive got that one too. or when the screen goes out etc...

"arent those like 480 volts? you afraid of getting shocked?" this came from a coworker who is supposedly a trained electronics technician, who just grinned when I told him they flow very little until they make a digital handshake... hadnt thought of it.

ive got that one too. or when the screen goes out etc...

I'm more concerned with some random dimwhit blowing up a gas station with his cigarette.

Here's one my 85 year old dad sent to me. This is part of the new 'convervative' talking points about EVs, and of course is just straight up lying. But I figured you might find it interesting to see what they are saying, and it meets the bar of silliest predujice for the thread. I mean you of course know that once a battery is dead an EV owner will just abandon their $50K car and just leave it blocking the freeway, right?

This piece is an eye opener, but think of the many many more scenarios that end with this same plight. Winter storms with the Interstate closed down. Lots of that has already happened this winter with much more to come. In those cases the closure is from some obscure misc problem, but the blockage will become permanent because the EV's can no longer move and they won't even be able to plow the roads. The interstate might be closed until summer. How about flood conditions. At a depth of what a normal car or pickup might still operate, EV's batteries and elect motors are going to be susceptible to water damage.

You can bet that for what ever reason one of these monsters becomes inoperable that they'll be permanently abandoned. The owner isn't going to continue to pay for something that won't function. A mass of that sort of thing could have devastating effects on the economy.

Read the following scenario and see what you think. Sit and imagine your own disaster scenarios.

EV Nightmare Scenario
Imagine, if you will, Florida with a hurricane coming toward Miami. The Governor orders an evacuation. All cars head north. Every good citizen hits the road north, but they all need to be charged in Jacksonville. How does that work? Has anyone thought about this? A lot of them my not have up to date technology and could just die along the way.

If all cars were electric, and were caught up in a three-hour traffic jam with dead batteries, then what? Not to mention that there is virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption.

If you get stuck on the road all night, no battery, no heating, no windshield wipers, no radio, no GPS (all these drain the batteries), all you can do is try calling 911 to take women and children to safety. But they cannot come to help you because all roads are blocked, and they will probably require all police cars to be electric also.

When the roads become unblocked no one can move! Their batteries are dead. How do you charge the thousands of cars in the traffic jam? Same problem during summer vacation departures with miles of traffic jams. There would be virtually no air conditioning in an electric vehicle. It would drain the batteries quickly.

Where is this electricity going to come from? Today's grid barely handles users' needs. Can't use nuclear, natural gas is quickly running out. Oil fired is out of the question, then where? What will be done with billions of dead batteries, can’t bury them in the soil, can’t go to landfills.

The cart is way ahead of the horse. No thought whatsoever about how to handle any of the problems that batteries will cause. The liberal press doesn't want to talk or report on any of this.

Here's one my 85 year old dad sent to me. This is part of the new 'convervative' talking points about EVs, and of course is just straight up lying. But I figured you might find it interesting to see what they are saying, and it meets the bar of silliest predujice for the thread. I mean you of course know that once a battery is dead an EV owner will just abandon their $50K car and just leave it blocking the freeway, right?

yep.

garbled nonsense....basically covers all the sillies Ive been getting.

this is good from your post....

-there is virtually no heating or air conditioning in an electric vehicle because of high battery consumption. ummmm "exsqueeze me, baking powder?"

lol

We took ours to a local car show(by invite, to show the new tech to old crowd) mostly positive, lots of real interest. but MAN OH MAN is there some hilarious propaganda fueled nonsense... here in the midwest, its THICK. Heres a couple from that day:

-"why don't they just put a big wheel under it, and generate while they go?" Going on to say its the electric companies conspiring to keep us on the teat. I explained what he was implying would be revolutionary and impossible, but he continued with the spiel.

-an acquaintance made it political... "well if the prez has his way we'll ALL be forced to drive them and gas will be 100 a gallon-I explain govt trying to maintain competition, the market is already speaking, and they want to help the big car companies because theyre lobbied by them, she goes on to threaten murdering him, by referencing JFK and his limo. that was fun.
-something about venezuela, guy talked for 10 minutes while I looked at my phone. .

Its just a car, and its a damned good one. Cant it just be that? lol

Reactions: GSP
I don’t think that we would do ourselves any favors by dismissing those concerns. The scenario of a mass evacuation is worth thinking about. Now we could peddle the story that ev owners can weather out the storm using their cars as generators. But we should have a stock answer to these concerns...

My posted comment on that video:

"Stavros 100 years ago: "These new-fangled 'car' things will NEVER replace horses! It's nearly impossible to find anywhere to get the fuel, which is stupid because I can get hay for my horse anywhere! .. And I dont understand all these buttons and stuff .. no-one is going to use one of these when you can just jump on your horse and off you go!"

I am most bothered by mainstream media referring to software updates as recalls as in the FSD rolling stop issue, or the boombox removal. Very exculpatory since it is a simple OTA download. By this same logic, there have been millions upon millions of iPhone and computer "recalls", but you never hear that word used with them.
As soon as GM or Ford get a software "recall", the NHTSA will magically stop using the phrase for OTA updates. I wonder why? :)

Meantime here in Seattle KUOW is teaching Mazda a lesson about how OTA might be a good idea :)

what about the battery fires man! Got a particular giggle out of that one....

Is this serious? watched about 5 minutes.... I suppose there are many people like him though..

if you had the same trouble this buffoon had with the car, my sincere opinion is that you shouldnt be driving ANY car. lol

• EV manufacturing causes more carbon emissions than it will save.
  • Your EV is made in China, why do you hate America
  • They're so quiet that all pedestrians will be killed.
  • Air pollution from EV tire wear is 1000 times worse than ICE tailpipe emissions.
  • Drinking water will be destroyed by all the poisons leeching out of discarded battery packs.
  • There is not enough lithium in the world, which is mined by starving children.
  • The electric fields will give you cancer.
  • The U.N. is going to confiscate my classic ICE car.
  • It takes 8 hours to charge, long trips are impossible.
  • You'll die of starvation in a traffic jam.
  • They will randomly drive you into a tree and kill you.
  • Charging in the rain will electrocute you.
  • Driving in the rain will electrocute you.
  • The grid can't handle EV charging.
  • There is nowhere to charge.
  • There are plenty of places to charge, but you'll be murdered.
  • They can be hacked, and you'll be murdered.
  • The chargers can be hacked, and explode your car, or take out the grid.
  • EVs are too slow. (lolwhut)
  • EVs are too fast to be safe. (ok maybe lool)