Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the technical term or acronym for battery ROI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey dear people, I can remember having read an article that carmakers tend to assess EVs
according to their battery return on investment. In short, it is an utter waste to have an EV
with let's say a 500 km range based on a 500 kg battery pack, that is 99% of the time used
only to do 20-100 km trips.

I am talking a waste of materials used, the extra weight and cash involved.

Can someone tell me the term that's used for this, and a link to an article about the subject?

This article talks about some relevant issues:

I would guess automakers look at this issue as "cost-effective energy storage (kWh) in each vehicle battery pack."

HTH.

• Informative
Reactions: voyager
The vehicle ROI can be calculated for the miles you drive, compared to a similar sized & equipped regular gas car. The costs to factor are depreciation, maintenance, projected repairs, and fuel. To get to your question, the size of the battery effects the cost, however it also effects the usability. A vehicle that doesn't have the range you require to perform your normal tasks would require a larger battery, more frequent charging, (or both) and may make it not practical or make it cost prohibitive.

From the ROI perspective, I analyze the costs out to 10 years. An EV doesn't make sense for most people, unless you drive a lot of miles, due to the higher capital cost. I'm putting on 25k+ miles annually.