Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what's the waiting time after you get back to the line?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My seven seat model X order was ready last week but somehow we are not fully ready so I let it go. I wonder anyone has gone through similar experience before. If I click "I'm ready" now, will I simply go back to the line again or will I have any priority? Thanks!

Supposedly, you sort of just slide back in line. In reality, you probably don't get put back to the very end, but I don't know if you end up "on top" of the list either.

If this helps:

June 6, 2022 - August - October
June 23, 2022 - July 31 - Sept 11
June 24 - VIN Assigned 3399xx (June 26 - July 2)
June 25 - VIN rejected. (June 26 - July 2); Account on Hold
July 1 - Off Hold, TBD
July 6 - August 19 - September 30

They assigned me an old VIN on June 24 (when cars were already in the 350xxx range, so I declined it and they put me on hold (I think so they wouldn't try to reassign the same VIN to me again. They took me off hold July 1 and today I got a date range again. You can see that it is "slightly pushed back" relative to the range they assigned me on Jun 23rd. The net of it is, I expect to get the car sometime in Sept before the end of the quarter.

Reactions: keytalker
I am also in the Bay Area, your VIN should reappear in a few days tops. I pushed off 2 VINs (early build) and the next one came up almost the next 1-2 business days. Then I put my car on hold for 30 days to get my funds moved around my bank accounts, and once I pressed "I'm Ready" I got another VIN in 3 days. The EDD was pretty accurate too, from I'm Ready to delivery in about a week? 6.26 , pickup 7.3 before July 4th.

Reactions: keytalker
I don’t think it always has to do with build quality. The theory is that it could be a car that’s been rejected and it took a while to work it’s way back into the pool due to repairs. In my case, I was not ready for the car, secondly it did not have the swivel screen, and finally the thought of it being a rejected car crossed my mind. Now mind you, there are people that reject when the door is 1mm off. I think that’s ridiculous, but hey, it’s everyone’s right to do what they want. My biggest issue is we just weren’t ready to get the car yet for many reasons. The estimates delivered date of Sept/Oct was perfect for us.

I don’t think it always has to do with build quality. The theory is that it could be a car that’s been rejected and it took a while to work it’s way back into the pool due to repairs. In my case, I was not ready for the car, secondly it did not have the swivel screen, and finally the thought of it being a rejected car crossed my mind. Now mind you, there are people that reject when the door is 1mm off. I think that’s ridiculous, but hey, it’s everyone’s right to do what they want. My biggest issue is we just weren’t ready to get the car yet for many reasons. The estimates delivered date of Sept/Oct was perfect for us.
Haha are you me? We literally have the same story. I bought the car with the intentions of a purchase in Aug/Oct as the original EDD but it got highly sped up to April/May. They literally assigned a VIN and gave a 2 business day EDD right after. I rejected mine simply because it was a 337XXX VIN (March Build confirmed by SA) when it was already June. First time spending 6 figures on a car, I figured it might as well be the newest and also have the swivel screen. I ended up moving around funds a bit earlier than expected so the initial few VIN rejects made sense for me.

Haha are you me? We literally have the same story. I bought the car with the intentions of a purchase in Aug/Oct as the original EDD but it got highly sped up to April/May. They literally assigned a VIN and gave a 2 business day EDD right after. I rejected mine simply because it was a 337XXX VIN (March Build confirmed by SA) when it was already June. First time spending 6 figures on a car, I figured it might as well be the newest and also have the swivel screen. I ended up moving around funds a bit earlier than expected so the initial few VIN rejects made sense for me.

I contemplated getting the VIN they assigned me, but after explaining my hesitation to my wife she said that I might as well wait for the car I want. She knows me well... I would probably bemoan not getting the swivel screen and I think she wouldn't want to hear it. haha

I just went through this and learned a lot about the process from a very helpful associate. Here is what I was told.

• You get 2 chances to ‘accept delivery’
  • Once your first VIN is assigned, and you chose (for whatever reason) to deny delivery, they recommend you simply not schedule a delivery date.
  • Approximately 1-week later the VIN will get released and you will come off the list of ‘eligible for VIN assignment’
  • You will be back on the list in about 4 days but you won’t get assigned the same VIN.
  • Your original order date is always honored, so if you make changes to your configuration, you’ll enter that build list and take your place on line with your original order date.
  • If you get a second VIN assigned, you will have a few options:
    • accept delivery
    • decline delivery and drop off the pre-order list and lose your deposit. This also results in your original price being lost. Since the cars have increased dramatically since you likely ordered it.
    • If you’re still within 90-days of the date of your original order, you will be eligible to request a delivery delay. I’m not sure how long it can be extended but I do know they offered me 30 days extra time. During this time, you won’t be considered ‘eligible for delivery’ and no VINs will be assigned to you until the delay is complete and you get added back in queue.
    • If you deny delivery after this delay then you’re off the list and lose your deposit.
I got a VIN assigned and called Tesla, they were able to share the details of my build (I asked) and it was missing tilting screen which is why I was told to not do anything and to not schedule a delivery date, the representative told me that after about a week it would release from my App and I would go back in queue. We’ll it worked.

Here is what she was able to tell me about the VIN when I called.
  • Build date
  • All specs
  • Tilting screen: yes or no

Hopefully that helps!

Reactions: sleepnclass
i dealt with this a few weeks ago. On 6/24 they notified me that my car was ready and to set delivery. Keep in mind, i ordered 2/22 so its only been 4 months for a MXLR 7 seater. i foun it odd so i did some research and found out the vin was from a January build. it did not have swivel screen. it had to be a reject. once i confirmed it didnt have the swivel screen i declined it 6/29 bc that was when it arrived to the dealer. i declined the vin and within an hour i click on "im ready" bc the tesla associate told me it would find me a car sooner and that i would NOT be matched to the same vin. Well it did a few hours lated, it matched me again and it was the same VIN. I called an SA that was helping me and he helped me out so much, he said he would try to find me another car as long as it had swivel if i would take delivery the next day (6/30). i told him yes, as long as it has swivel i would go to pick it up..he was able to and matched me to that specific car and i picked up 6/30. though this is many paint imperfections and i had to schedule for service. they did an amazing job fixing that but it came home with a scratch passenger window. and the spoiler had to be replaced. i went in my 2nd time yesterday to get window and spoiler fix well, needless to say this time i checked all around the car before i drove off and found my passenger door scratched. looks like someone opened it too close to something and it nicked it. so i am so not happy about it. the car has a total of 146 miles. i live about 25 miles away from dealer.. all of the miles were spent driving back and forth to dealer to get it all fixed before my ppf appointment . i have not been happy with the service and its getting to make me dislike tesla. its a great car, but after spending over 130k you would think it would be much more fun..

good luck with getting a vin..but i guess i got lucky or they were pushing hard for EOQ