Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's Wrong With This Image?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You'd think that once I set the car type to Electric, Waze would better detect what to show me.

waze.png

Agree. I also regular see gas stations listed as points of interest on the google map that the Tesla displays.
Gas stations often serve as convenience store, trip stop (bathroom, coffee, snacks, clean bugs off the windshield, pump up tires, etc), so they can be point of interest to someone traveling in an EV - so squeegees at most superchargers today.

Reactions: DOCAL
Hence I didn't reply to your comment, but the one about them showing up as POI on Tesla map ;)

On the other hand, if you're towing a boat and need to fuel it, you might be interested in gas prices. :p

So "what about-ism" for the fringe towing case case and "what about me-ism" for the rest? I'm pretty sure that Google and Waze could figure out more interesting things to show me once I've set the type of car to "Electric." How about the equivalent of "ev stations near me?" That's an order of magnitude more applicable than comparing gas prices.

:);):confused::cool::p:D

So "what about-ism" for the fringe towing case case and "what about me-ism" for the rest? I'm pretty sure that Google and Waze could figure out more interesting things to show me once I've set the type of car to "Electric." How about the equivalent of "ev stations near me?" That's an order of magnitude more applicable than comparing gas prices.

:);):confused::cool::p:D
Have you considered that Google just wants to make you aware how much gas is to show you how much you are saving? ;)When you dive an EV, you probably lose track how much gas is, I know I do.

Have you considered that Google just wants to make you aware how much gas is to show you how much you are saving? ;)When you dive an EV, you probably lose track how much gas is, I know I do.
Considered and rejected. Google makes their money by charging advertisers for space in their apps. When I set the car type to Electric, there is almost zero chance I will click through to compare gas prices. And yes, I've considered boat towing and lawn mower filling and picking up the stranded motorist and <insert your what about thing here>.

Google is not interested in doing something nice for me. If there are no advertisers that want to get in front of EV owners then I can understand. Even then, Google could show me better options. What I don't understand is why you want to defend this.

Considered and rejected. Google makes their money by charging advertisers for space in their apps. When I set the car type to Electric, there is almost zero chance I will click through to compare gas prices. And yes, I've considered boat towing and lawn mower filling and picking up the stranded motorist and <insert your what about thing here>.

Google is not interested in doing something nice for me. If there are no advertisers that want to get in front of EV owners then I can understand. Even then, Google could show me better options. What I don't understand is why you want to defend this.
I was really only defending why gas stations can be POI for electric cars. I was being facetious about the gas prices comparison. You are absolutely correct about Google app behavior being ad driven, which also answers your questions why you get gas comparison ads when setting the car to electric - they didn't have any advertisers wanting to pay to show ads to electric cars, so they showed you an ad from gas cars instead. However slim the change of you clicking on it, long term it will bring Google more money than showing you nothing. This also means that once EV's get sufficient market presence, there will be advertisers wanting to target them, then you'll see EV related ads.