Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel arch rash and a quick review of Chipex

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having set about the 2 days of cleaning the car the last time it was nice out, one thing that stood out was how bad the wheel arches are from stone chipping. Really letting the car down after all that work.
While I have added mudguards since, I thought I would have a go at tidying up the rash using a Chipex kit.

What we are starting with - for info it's a 2019 M3P with around 39K miles on the clock.
This is the bare truth - washed, has been clayed, dried and wiped down with Bilt Hamber cleanser fluid to start the job:
PXL_20230420_163356379.MP.jpg

Applied the Chipex paint using the included microfibre cloth - which starts to make it look messy, but making it look worse using my detailing light here:
PXL_20230420_164417376.MP.jpg

Left to dry for a good 10 to 15 minutes while I did some other paint chips on the front end of the car.
Wiped with their paint levelling solution:
PXL_20230420_165915635.MP.jpg

Finished up with a hand polish (which was included in the kit - though it felt more like a filler polish that cutting as very little if any cutting action) and then a coat of Gyeon wax:
PXL_20230420_170514517.MP.jpg

All in all, better with one pass, perfect - far from it. At certain angles they still catch the light and doesn't look much better than when I started. May give it another pass over when I have some time as I didn't do the other side yet anyway.
On the stone chips on the front end though, was largely a waste of time. You have to build up in layers allowing it to dry and it pretty much just pulled back out of the chips with one pass of the levelling/blending solution with minimal pressure.

I have a ChipEx kit as well, and to be honest have struggled with it. As you say, the blending solution seems to pull it back out of the chips for me, requiring multiple attempts. Would be interested in recommended alternatives...

I have a ChipEx kit as well, and to be honest have struggled with it. As you say, the blending solution seems to pull it back out of the chips for me, requiring multiple attempts. Would be interested in recommended alternatives...

Will see how it takes with a second coat, but I am going to run out of the solution even with ordering the bigger pack. May do a test and see if I can cut it back instead using my polisher and some compound like seen here:

The paint supplied with the Chipex kit is the same solvent based stuff from what I can tell.

Reactions: Pipps
I filled a big scratch on my M3 bonnet with Chippex. But couldn’t make any effective use of the blending solution. I built up the paint in layers and then cut it back with Farecla and polisher. Took a lot of painting and cutting to get an acceptable finish. I had some success with Chippex on tiny stone chips.

I filled a big scratch on my M3 bonnet with Chippex. But couldn’t make any effective use of the blending solution. I built up the paint in layers and then cut it back with Farecla and polisher. Took a lot of painting and cutting to get an acceptable finish. I had some success with Chippex on tiny stone chips.

Bigger scratches I can deal with - I usually use a syringe with dispensing needles to apply paint then, build it up proud and bring it back down with various wet sanding papers and then cut with polishing/compounding.
These hundreds of tiny ones in a big area though I haven't had to deal with before so still learning a technique.

Will see how it takes with a second coat, but I am going to run out of the solution even with ordering the bigger pack. May do a test and see if I can cut it back instead using my polisher and some compound like seen here:

The paint supplied with the Chipex kit is the same solvent based stuff from what I can tell.
I used a similar technique from detailing world years ago. Can't find the thread at the moment, but think the only difference was wet sanding rather than a compound, then onto finishing polish. Worked a treat on soft Alfa paint so should be ok on Tesla paint. i have some to do on my own car, so will give it a go some time soon too.

Reactions: M00cow
I agree that completely hiding stone-chips takes several applications and is tricky
BUT
I had some white stone chips on my grey bonnet and one application of chipex, left to dry for double the length they said ( it was a cold day) then polished with the cloth around the foam block, light pressure and only a tiny bit of blender, one or two drops, did clean the surrounding area without pulling out the paint from the chips so they remain body colour. So while I am sure I can still find the chips if I go looking and they are not level/invisible. I do not notice any of them as I walk to/past the car anymore so they do not really bother me like they did before. I may try to level them off later ( if it ever stops raining) but I am pretty happy.

Hi, I've the excact same problem on my red Nov 21 M3 and have sent a service request to Tesla,
Is this a recent problem for you? I've never had it on my previous Vw/Audi cars.

My white M3, 23 months old and 20,000 miles, has only one small chip just below the headlight. I've got touch up paint from eBay but it's not really visible, unless close up, so I won't be using it yet.
The rest of the car is perfect including between the rear doors and wheel arches, and I didn’t (was going to) apply PPF to that area!
I guess white pearlescent paint is the best choice. Also cooler in hot summers...

Hi, I've the excact same problem on my red Nov 21 M3 and have sent a service request to Tesla,
Is this a recent problem for you? I've never had it on my previous Vw/Audi cars.

No me neither - and I have had a lot of cars cheap and cheerful to expensive German stuff - can't recall ever seeing arches this bad before.
Unfortunately the Tesla I bought second hand so the rash was already there, but I put on mud flaps as soon as I got it.