Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Jog with Auto Lane Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my 3 set to auto lane change with only the chime notification, and yet, every time it wants to change lanes on its own, it asks me to jog the wheel -- like the regular autopilot does during a drive. Is this a setting I'm missing, or is it just how it is right now? It's really no different than having to hit the stalk.

Thanks.

I have my 3 set to auto lane change with only the chime notification, and yet, every time it wants to change lanes on its own, it asks me to jog the wheel -- like the regular autopilot does during a drive. Is this a setting I'm missing, or is it just how it is right now? It's really no different than having to hit the stalk.

If your hand is rested on the steering wheel in such a way that the car senses it, then you don’t have to do anything. So I guess my suggestion would be to just find a comfortable way to rest your hand on the wheel.

If your hand is rested on the steering wheel in such a way that the car senses it, then you don’t have to do anything. So I guess my suggestion would be to just find a comfortable way to rest your hand on the wheel.

Wrong - this doesn't work. Applied pressure 'counter-clockwise'. When the car wanted to change lanes, it asked for a steering wheel acknowledgement. My pressure applied counter-clockwise didn't change. I had to release, and re-apply pressure to 'acknowledge' the no 'acknowledgement' lane change.

Reactions: Smoofv
Wrong - this doesn't work. Applied pressure 'counter-clockwise'. When the car wanted to change lanes, it asked for a steering wheel acknowledgement. My pressure applied counter-clockwise didn't change. I had to release, and re-apply pressure to 'acknowledge' the no 'acknowledgement' lane change.

I haven't had that issue. I apply constant light torque/resistance to the steering wheel and the automatic lane changing never nags me. So it's definitely no acknowledgement required.

I haven't had that issue. I apply constant light torque/resistance to the steering wheel and the automatic lane changing never nags me. So it's definitely no acknowledgement required.

But isn't having to apply constant torque another form of acknowledgement? It's still pretty much saying "I need your permission to do this," and it gets it because you are torquing the wheel. I was under the illusion that it would let me know it was about to change lanes so I could check, and was lead to believe I would no longer need to confirm. Touching the wheel once or permanently is still a confirmation. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a setting.

But isn't having to apply constant torque another form of acknowledgement? It's still pretty much saying "I need your permission to do this," and it gets it because you are torquing the wheel. I was under the illusion that it would let me know it was about to change lanes so I could check, and was lead to believe I would no longer need to confirm. Touching the wheel once or permanently is still a confirmation. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing a setting.

Definitely!! It is also harder, in my opinion, because the pressure applied needs to be within the proper window. Too little: no detection. Too much: exit auto-pilot. So you now have to focus on the bio-feedback pressure. This probably means less concentration on the road.

I like the function of auto-pilot, don't get my wrong. But honestly I enjoyed my previous car's adaptive cruise control more, since I didn't have to focus so much on letting the car know I was paying attention. I'm a responsible driver, I wish the car would trust me.

I tried explicitly several times on the weekend while driving on Nav-on-Autopilot. Same outcome. Regardless of the pressure, it would ask for steering wheel confirmation via pressure. Auto lane change (without confim) was enabled.

I'll see if I can have my passenger record it next time for a video.

I use this feature every day on my way to work. It definitely works just like the standard AutoPilot nag: if I've got enough torque on the wheel to not have the AutoPilot nag me, it does the lane changes without nagging me or requiring any additional input. That's just how the whole system is right now, it requires you to still pay attention and acknowledge that attention by keeping constant torque on the wheel.

I tried explicitly several times on the weekend while driving on Nav-on-Autopilot. Same outcome. Regardless of the pressure, it would ask for steering wheel confirmation via pressure. Auto lane change (without confim) was enabled.

I'll see if I can have my passenger record it next time for a video.

Try increasing the amount of torque/resistance you're applying. It should be similar to the amount of torque/resistance you'd apply when autopilot seems like it might side swipe something (motorcycle passing by or adjacent car encroaching) but you don't want to break out of autosteer yet.

If it's constant torque, it's a general acknowledgement that you're paying attention, but not a specific acknowledgement that you're ok with changing lanes at that moment. Put another way, if you used any of those illegal nag-defeating weight devices, the car would definitely be changing lanes without any human decision making. At this point, it can go on-ramp to off-ramp with a nag-defeating device in many situations.

Hmm. That seems like a potential bug if true.

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?

I disagree. I always hang the weight of my arm off the steering wheel while using Autopilot. And so I never see anything other than Autopilot doing its thing. You are always supposed to have your hands on the wheel while using Autpilot. If you do it in such a way that the car knows you are there, it will never nag you.

Reactions: pdamski
Good thread. I've got 40 mile freeway trip today. I shall test 'again' the constant torque method. My previous experience with constant torque was that an 'acknowledgement was still required.

Disagree. This thread is a waste of electrons. The steering wheel has always had to sense your hand to stay in AP. Now it must sense your hand on the wheel at the time that it is going to change lanes. This is to make sure you are paying attention before it, you know, throws your car in front of someone in another lane. As someone who rests their hand on the wheel in such a way that I'm almost always being prompted for confirmation I have found another way to hold the wheel that demonstrates to the system that I am holding it, thereby allowing the auto lane changes to occur seamlessly.

Last edited:
Mine definitely changes lanes on its own with my hand resting on the wheel. No additional confirmation needed.

Now if they could just add some settings to turn off or adjust how often it gets out of the left lane it would work better in my opinion. I feel that the car is changing lanes way more than I would and I end up turning it off. It should look further down the road to see if getting out of the left makes sense. Instead it moves me over (no one behind me) and then I am up on a slower car 30 seconds later and it puts me back into the left again. Too much bobbing and weaving.