Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched and can't seem to find any threads with aftermarket wheels upgrade.

I have a new 2023 MYP and looking to swap out the 21" for lighter 20" with th8cker tyres to improve the ride quality. Is there a speed sensor on each wheel and what to do with those when swapping out to new wheels? Can they be transferred over to the new wheels? Would they work?

TIA
Steven

In the car under service there is a place to choose your wheels, I would pick something similar size etc. I think in theory this helps with the range calculations, but I'm not sure if that's proven or if it's just a cosmetic change.

Changing the wheel size doesn't change the overall size, the tyre just becomes thicker, speed measurement will be fine. I also think Tesla compare GPS speed to wheel speed anyway to keep things correct, that's how it can measure worn tyres.

I've searched and can't seem to find any threads with aftermarket wheels upgrade.

I have a new 2023 MYP and looking to swap out the 21" for lighter 20" with th8cker tyres to improve the ride quality. Is there a speed sensor on each wheel and what to do with those when swapping out to new wheels? Can they be transferred over to the new wheels? Would they work?

TIA
Steven
Wheel upgrades on cars are usually to larger rims. Can you fit a smaller wheel? I seem to remember you could not on an M3P because the disks were so big they would not fit. but that might have been 19" I am thinking of and I don't know about the MY. Either way make sure there is clearance around the calipers before buying anything!

Wheel upgrades on cars are usually to larger rims. Can you fit a smaller wheel? I seem to remember you could not on an M3P because the disks were so big they would not fit. but that might have been 19" I am thinking of and I don't know about the MY. Either way make sure there is clearance around the calipers before buying anything!
The issue with the P was more that it had a slightly different hub and needed the replacement wheels to accommodate that. I switched to 19” wheels for winter tyres on my 2020 M3P and they just fit over the callipers (and provide a better, quieter ride)

• Informative
Reactions: Jason71
My neighbor has 19 reg M3P which is almost like sleeper - it came from the Tesla with 18"Aeros, as at that time that was the option for M3P ;)

My neighbor has 19 reg M3P which is almost like sleeper - it came from the Tesla with 18"Aeros, as at that time that was the option for M3P ;)

Generally spoken about as a P- on the forum. The reason they could have the 18 inch Aeros is because they didn't have the MP3 brakes ... they had the standard M3 brakes. (Plenty of other 18inch wheels could be fitted over the bigger MP3 brakes but oddly not Tesla's own versions.)

Reactions: Jason71
Generally spoken about as a P- on the forum. The reason they could have the 18 inch Aeros is because they didn't have the MP3 brakes ... they had the standard M3 brakes. (Plenty of other 18inch wheels could be fitted over the bigger MP3 brakes but oddly not Tesla's own versions.)
but I think this was the case for 18/19 regs only.

In first months of UK Model 3, the Performance model was what some describe as the P-, or stealth etc.

So spec of what we have now as Performance was in fact the option. In those days, if you wanted different wheels, brakes, spoiler, top speed, fractionally lowered suspension etc, (acceleration remained the same and they all shared the ‘red stripe’) then you bought the optional Performance Upgrade Pack (PUP) that Tesla ultimately bundled as standard and price adjusted Performance model accordingly. It was never entirely clear at time whether track mode was part of PUP or base Performance model, but at very least it did become common to both.

To confuse matters more, for a brief period of time, the LR AWD was not available to order, so if you wanted to to order a LR AWD variant, then you had to order the Performance and choose not to have PUP option. IIRC price difference between LR/AWD and Performance base was nominal which gave you the quicker acceleration and off menu option to have de rated tow pack

Last edited:
ANyone with MYP swapped to smaller wheels? What is your experience?

In addition to better ride quality which Im after as I have two small kids, I think it pretty appalling standard; ok so P is a trade of between performance and ride compliance but still its a mid sized SUV end of the day so from factory I think the 35s are way too low profile as its not a sports car. So I think with narrower (8.5-9.5") wheels and smaller rims (20"), the overall setup would be much lighter which may improve on the acceleration a bit more , in addition to better ride quality?

In addition to better ride quality which Im after as I have two small kids, I think it pretty appalling standard; ok so P is a trade of between performance and ride compliance but still its a mid sized SUV end of the day so from factory I think the 35s are way too low profile as its not a sports car. So I think with narrower (8.5-9.5") wheels and smaller rims (20"), the overall setup would be much lighter which may improve on the acceleration a bit more , in addition to better ride quality?

Don't expect to be able to tell the difference in acceleration times unless you have some very accurate testing equipment i.e. not your backside! Look at the latter pages of this thread if you really want to delve into the subject: lightweight wheels model 3 performance 0-60 testing

Might be worth checking the wording/opinion of your insurer, some mandate that you have to use tyres that are approved by the manufacturer.

I imported a set of 19s from TSportline and they're excellent. Very similar look to the OEM 21s but they're spin forged so lighter and stronger. The ride is smoother and it allows me to use all season tyres. For me it's ideal.
IMG20230217134625.jpg

I kept it simple - went to 19" Geminis with stock tires. I do this because, potholes.
Done this on 2020 MYP, 2022 MYP, and now 2023 MYP. Consumption average: 270 Wh/mile.
That is almost the same consumption with the same wheel/tire (19" Geminis) set-up on a 2021 MYLR7.

I imported a set of 19s from TSportline and they're excellent. Very similar look to the OEM 21s but they're spin forged so lighter and stronger. The ride is smoother and it allows me to use all season tyres. For me it's ideal.
View attachment 951043

Thats great! I was concerned that 19" may look too small but it looks fine! I may try this setup. What is the width and ET of these wheels? These thicker sidewalls would better prevent curb rash than the oem super low profile stretched tires!

Is there any difference in accelleration, handling or range at all?