TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wheels actually turn when playing Pole Position

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by TjckTock, Dec 21, 2018.

1. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

I was trying out the new Pole Position game using the steering and brake controls. On a hunch I decided to take a peek at the front wheels and, sure enough, they are turning as you turn in game. So unless you want to wear flats into your tires and make black smudged on your garage floor, I recommend using a USB controller only.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Isn't this a given?

The steering wheel is physically connected to the front wheels... if you turn the steering wheel, the wheels are going to turn.

Tesla set up Pole Position so that it requires very small movements on the steering wheel. I'd be surprised if you could wear flat spots on your tires with any reasonable play (e.g. excluding playing in the car for hours a day) that wouldn't be rounded off almost immediately when you start driving.

Rubber spots on the floor might be a thing, though... although I bet even those are minimal. Did you check?

• Like x 1
  3. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

LOL. If only there was a category even beyond "first world problem..."

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 3
  4. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

I quit playing when I saw that the wheels were turning. You are tight, it takes very little steering which is good but I think I will abstain none-the-less. Not really hating here - I just wanted folks to be aware. Also, since I tuck my Tesla into a corner, the wheels are cut while parked. I had to turn them back to straight to play. I tried an xbox 360 controller and that wasn't working right. Very flakey - at least for Pole Position.

5. TjckTock

TjckTock Member

My kids call these 0.5 world problems. :)

• Like x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  6. YusufT

YusufT Member

It would kind of be concerning and a possible safety issue if the game had priority over the wheels..

7. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

When the car key is active the wheel turns easily and the brake lights work. It looks like someone is hitting the brakes on and off constantly when playing. After awhile my car did not recognize the key and the brake lights stopped working with the game and the steering wheel was much tighter.

8. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

Take the easy way out.
    Plug in the J1772 adapter in that prevents the car going powering up the drive systems and forces the power steering off.
    Wheels don’t move then and also makes the game easier to play. :D

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. ceekz

ceekz Member

The game playing mode was likely created with the thought of what do while charging in the first place. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like x 1
  10. SeanM

SeanM Member

upload_2018-12-21_15-44-58.png