Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When and how to get the $5000 refund?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EXACTLY!

the FSD was dubbed refund & sales tax was refunded!
CEO here said “refund” meaning pricing change,
early buyers overpaid, hence wording of refund?

I wonder what the state would say to merchant
issuing a refund but withholding the sales tax?

Yes. Check on the way. Giving up lifetime free supercharging. With $5000 and use of $20/week (which I never have) I can charge for 4.8 years!

Got my $5000 but no tax included???

If you find a way to get it, please let us know

I have been investingating how to go about this ib CA?

I don’t understand tesla’s position on this REFUND v.
the FSD REFUND which included state sales taxes?

this also doesn’t address “license fees” which drive
costs up every following year of ownership, given
the $5k price difference...

how much did tesla charge each customer for
documentation & registration, yet they can’t be
bothered to make the transaction accurate?

Reactions: GOFORIT5
it’s listed as a REFUND,
yet tesla has stated they
are not “editing any official
sales documents?”

I suspect that Tesla is treating this $5k refund as a rebate, which doesn't include refunding the tax, to make things a lot less complicated.

If they were to do it as a real refund they would have to update the MVPA which would likely require involving the financing company, if any, and could even require getting a new loan at now current rates. At a minimum I would imagine that the financing company would require that the majority of it be sent to them, as otherwise it could be seen as refunding your down-payment.

I suspect that Tesla is treating this $5k refund as a rebate, which doesn't include refunding the tax, to make things a lot less complicated.

If they were to do it as a real refund they would have to update the MVPA which would likely require involving the financing company, if any, and could even require getting a new loan at now current rates. At a minimum I would imagine that the financing company would require that the majority of it be sent to them, as otherwise it could be seen as refunding your down-payment.

apologizing for what you think they would
have to do doesn’t change the facts?

tesla calls it a REFUND!

tesla REUNDed FSD
and included refund of
sales tax?

this doesn’t have anything to
do with what was financed,
nor interest rates etc, etc.

for the record,
it’s a REAL REFUND!

how’d you feel about
paying documentation fees
and then refusing to be accurate?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
tesla REUNDed FSD
and included refund of
sales tax?

Here's my take, for whatever it's probably not worth:
The refund for FSD was for a good that was sold, but couldn't realistically be delivered (over committed, under delivered).

The refund/rebate/whatever-the-heck-you-want-to-call-it for the PUP is a good will gesture due to a bunch of complaining Nancy's. Surely there's no legal ground for which it was actually owed to anyone.

Here's my take, for whatever it's probably not worth:
The refund for FSD was for a good that was sold, but couldn't realistically be delivered (over committed, under delivered).

The refund/rebate/whatever-the-heck-you-want-to-call-it for the PUP is a good will gesture due to a bunch of complaining Nancy's. Surely there's no legal ground for which it was actually owed to anyone.

the confusion of referring to the REFUND
by any other terminology only confuses
the event.

tesla refereed to both as REFUNDS!

I particularly don’t care to pay for
documentation & registration fees and
not have them be bothered to be made
accurate, nor do I wish to apologize
for mistakes in pricing & marketing.

Refund on tax on a concession? Yeah, no. Maybe if I had bought PUP but in my case it's money back for a set of features I never paid for which devalued my car by not having. Either way I'm honestly still kind of in shock it happened, and that a real check came so fast. Tesla restored my faith by doing this 110% and I'm not going to nitpick over a few % on what is already a few % (sales tax refund). Same goes for paying $500 more than most on white interior. Too insignificant to give a $hit at this point. I'm just happy Tesla did something to make this right for both groups of recent buyers who were impacted by the package changes and 'efficiencies in manufacturing'; that plus the SC bending over backwards to fix a long due bill list has my earned my lifetime loyalty.

Last edited:
Refund on tax on a concession? Yeah, no. Maybe if I had bought PUP but in my case it's money back for a set of features I never paid for which devalued my car by not having. Either way I'm honestly still kind of in shock it happened, and that a real check came so fast. Tesla restored my faith by doing this 110% and I'm not going to nitpick over a few % on what is already a few % (sales tax refund). Same goes for paying $500 more than most on white interior. Too insignificant to give a $hit at this point. I'm just happy Tesla did something to make this right for both groups of recent buyers who were impacted by the package changes and 'efficiencies in manufacturing'; that plus the SC bending over backwards to fix a long due bill list has my earned my lifetime loyalty.
Agreed. I'm happy to get $5k back and not going to nitpick over a few % either. Tesla was generous enough to give back $5k.