Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does homelink auto skip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hmm, odd. I have Homelink both on my MS and MY cars, and both "auto skip" occasionally. I'm just trying to understand the circumstances which it does it. Tthe fact that you guys "never" seen it makes me think something is off on my end. But, for both my cars to have this issue is certainly weird.

Reactions: Catbiscuits
Same. I think it may have to do with possibly putting car in reverse before parking it in garage. For example you put it in reverse to see if you are pulled in far enough. I think I remember seeing this in this site before where that was the consensus.

Reactions: dinkoh
How are you determining that it auto skips rather than just doesn’t work?
When I manually skip opening or closing the garage door, usually the next time Homelink was supposed to auto open/close, I think it says something like "skipped open/close" on or below the button. Once in a while it doesn't trigger auto open/close, but that's been pretty rare.

Reactions: KArnold and TunaBug
When I manually skip opening or closing the garage door, usually the next time Homelink was supposed to auto open/close, I think it says something like "skipped open/close" on or below the button. Once in a while it doesn't trigger auto open/close, but that's been pretty rare.
There’s no documented scenario where HomeLink should auto skip. Another thought: have you experienced anything else that suggests the touchscreen is detecting touches when you’re not actually touching the screen?

There’s no documented scenario where HomeLink should auto skip. Another thought: have you experienced anything else that suggests the touchscreen is detecting touches when you’re not actually touching the screen?
I don't think so. When it doesn't do auto open/close, the button would either say "skipped" or nothing, as it auto open/close wasn't setup. I haven't paid close attention because it doesn't happen very often, and when it does, I either expect it or I catch it before reaching the end of my driveway (no chime) and push the button myself.

I asked about the touchscreen because the car is behaving as if you pressed the Skip button when you actually didn’t. FWIW, I’ve never experienced this issue in either our Model S or Model 3 (both 2018). Both those cars came with HomeLink as standard equipment, your 2021 Y probably didn’t - wonder if it could be a hardware issue?

Does anyone know when homelink will auto skip? I never want it to autoskip unless I manually press skip.
I don't know if you mean skip when approaching or closing (backing out). If it's the latter, then yes. If you do one of the following it will skip auto-close:
  • You pull in the garage, then back up just a smidge, then turn off the car. When you back out of the garage the next time, it will skip closing
  • If you start to back out, put in park, then put in reverse again, it will skip closing
Those are the two cases I have found. There may be others. I don't think I have had it skip auto-open. Well come to think of it, if you do a close drive-by of your garage, such that you get the message "Auto opening in XX ft" but never actually put the car in park... go around the block and come back, it may skip then. I can't remember...

Reactions: dinkoh and dduffey
I have experienced the auto skip when backing out/leaving (and there is a message on the screen) in both our 2018 and 2021 with two different garage doors so I know it is a thing (and not due to setup error or missed signal).

It happens so infrequently that I never bothered to try and reproduce, just manually closed instead. Plus I would forget about it by the time I was back :)

If you manually press the button to skip an opening or closing say if the door was already open and you don’t want it to close it will skip the auto function next time until you manually hit the button then it will resume normal function. Not sure why it doesn’t go back to normal function automatically but that’s what I have found.

What exactly do you see when it auto skips? Is there a message?
This seems to happen to me, too. I had HL installed at the TESLA Delivery Center for my 2023 Model Y (LR/AWD), and I’m not sure I have quite figured it out. I parked in my normal garage parking spot directly under the garage door opener and reset the HL location setting. Despite this, I have HL set to open my garage door 80ft out! This results in my garage door opening right where my driveway meets the street pavement, which is nowhere near 80ft from the front of my car when it is parked in my garage.

Anyway, as for auto-skip, I will open my garage door manually when leaving the house and HL frequently auto-skips. I have tried manually opening my garage door from my TESLA screen when leaving, and it also auto-skips a lot that way, too. For being a $350 solution, it certainly is buggy.

is there even a real thing called auto skip? if you tell it to open and it doesn't, that just means it didn't work not "Auto Skip".

I think the people that have issues may back into the garage instead of driving in front first. There are video's about this on youtube.

is there even a real thing called auto skip? if you tell it to open and it doesn't, that just means it didn't work not "Auto Skip".

I think the people that have issues may back into the garage instead of driving in front first. There are video's about this on youtube.
I pull in, not back in to my garage. The “auto-skip” we are referring to is that—based on the HL settings—the TESLA should automatically OPEN the garage upon approach—every time—and auto-close every time I back out. Sometimes it skips this functionality, and the button on-screen will say that it was skipped this time.

We don’t want that to happen.