Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When does the 2022 Plaid Begin Production?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla model years start January 1st still if I’m not mistaken. My previous November 2013 build p85 was still a 2013 and my incoming December 2016 built p100d is a 2016.

Tesla has shifted to VINs showing the next year sooner than Jan 1st for the past 2-3 years. If you search I'm sure you can find many threads on this forum where owners have siven

It is past time for the 2022 Tesla model year to change. I have been assured by this board that the model year always begins the same month in the fall. Any thoughts on when this will be?

I do not think there is a clearly fixed month. At this point it's likely very safe to say it wasn't in September, unlikely it was October, but won't know definitively for a few weeks until more late Oct cars are delivered, and could still be as late as end of December. The legal obligation is no cars produced after 12.31.2021 can be a 2021 VIN and any car starting 01.01.2022 MUST be a 2022. Other than that, Tesla has a lot of leeway in the legal certification process to switch the model year in the VIN as soon as they have received the required certification against the 2022 model year requirements.

Last year, I was assaulted by Glide, VolcanoTacos and others saying I should not be spreading false rumors and that Tesla always changed model years in October. I haven't seen any 2022s yet, but we still have one day to go in October. I had that same position. Dannycamps

I don't think Tesla does model years per se. It's really just the build date. The car will have whatever features are available when it's built.
There is still a model year as reflected in the VIN and as reflects the legal vehicle certification documents. A manufacturer cannot switch to show 2022 model year in the VIN until they received certification approval against the 2022 model year requirements.

I understand many think of model years only in the marketing, bundle of features domain, but there is also a specific regulatory domain that applies independent of when a manufacturer may wish to introduce or change consumer features.

Last edited:
Last year, I was assaulted by Glide, VolcanoTacos and others saying I should not be spreading false rumors and that Tesla always changed model years in October.
They certainly “always” have for the past several years. But, you know, past performance is not indicative of future results and what not.

Have there been any confirmed deliveries of an Oct 2021 build Model S yet?

They certainly “always” have for the past several years. But, you know, past performance is not indicative of future results and what not.

Have there been any confirmed deliveries of an Oct 2021 build Model S yet?
I don't know. This time last year people didn't want to take delivery if a week or two difference would mean getting the new model year -- for depreciation and all. People just want to get something (anything) this year, and generally don't seem to care what model year it is.

There is still a model year as reflected in the VIN and as reflects the legal vehicle certification documents. A manufacturer cannot switch to show 2022 model year in the VIN until they received certification approval against the 2022 model year requirements.
On my driver side door there are two infos. One is for the vin and below it is the actual build
Date. I received my S 1 week after it was built.

What type of legal certification does the car receive and from whom???

On my driver side door there are two infos. One is for the vin and below it is the actual build
Date. I received my S 1 week after it was built.

What type of legal certification does the car receive and from whom???
There are approvals for both fuel economy (energy use) and various federal motor vehicle safety standards.

The fuel economy / MPGe rating approval is via EPA and I believe the safety standards approvals are through NHTSA. The safety approvals include everything from vehicle crash test, air bag standards, passenger restraints (seat belts), lighting standards (brake lights, turn signals, etc), and in this era automated driver assistance features.

I am unclear whether the fuel economy/MPGe approval would also need to go back through California Air Resources Board (CARB) for vehicles sold in California, but I know if for ICE vehicles that must meet an exhaust emissions standard there would be separate approvals through CARB (emissions and OBD) in addition to ARB.

There are approvals for both fuel economy (energy use) and various federal motor vehicle safety standards.

The fuel economy / MPGe rating approval is via EPA and I believe the safety standards approvals are through NHTSA. The safety approvals include everything from vehicle crash test, air bag standards, passenger restraints (seat belts), lighting standards (brake lights, turn signals, etc), and in this era automated driver assistance features.

I am unclear whether the fuel economy/MPGe approval would also need to go back through California Air Resources Board (CARB) for vehicles sold in California, but I know if for ICE vehicles that must meet an exhaust emissions standard there would be separate approvals through CARB (emissions and OBD) in addition to ARB.
If The model is not changing, I would
Think the testing has been done. But government can be a ball buster at times.

Subject interests me. I looked up some info from nhtsa website. The actual pdf’s are
Hundreds of pages.

so I grabbed this tiny amount of info from the manufacturers regulations at

It implies to me that unless there are some
Recalls or terrible problems with a vehicle, it is left up to the manufacturer to comply on their own. Do you have different information and if so, would you post a link to it.

A. I am personally interested in investing money into a new company that is exploring EV’s

Thanks in advance for your help

Instead, in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30115, we have in place a “self-certification” process, which imposes responsibility on the fabricating manufacturer to certify the vehicle or equipment item as complying with the applicable FMVSS.

The Vehicle Safety Act requires fabricating manufacturers to certify that motor vehicles and regulated items of motor vehicle equipment they produce for sale in the United States comply with all applicable FMVSS. See 49 U.S.C. 30115. Motor vehicle equipment items that are not subject to the FMVSS do not require certification; however, such items may be found (by either NHTSA or the manufacturer) to have a safety-related defect, and if so, the manufacturer will have an obligation to furnish owners of the equipment with notification of, and a remedy for, the defect, usually at no charge to the consumer.

Type approval[3] is not required for motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment sold in the United States. NHTSA does not issue type approval certifications and does not certify any motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment as complying with applicable FMVSS. Instead, in accordance with 49 U.S.C. 30115, we have in place a “self-certification” process, which imposes responsibility on the fabricating manufacturer to certify the vehicle or equipment item as complying with the applicable FMVSS. Self-certification reduces the cost and time associated with lengthy, government-mandated testing that is required under type approval. Self-certification also reduces regulatory costs and facilitates international trade because it allows fabricating manufacturers to quickly bring to market vehicles and equipment items that incorporate safety and technology advancements.

The Vehicle Safety Act requires the fabricating manufacturer to exercise “reasonable care” when issuing its certification. See 49 U.S.C. 30115. To this end, NHTSA encourages fabricating manufacturers to conduct tests as specified in certain of the FMVSS. See 49 CFR part 571.

Last edited:
This is all very interesting, but Tesla made significant changes, including adding a third motor and introducing new variants of the S model, all in the 2021 model year. The 2022 model year Teslas won't have many, if any changes over the current 2021 model year. I am sure there is more than slapping on a new year to the sticker, but all the certifications above have been done already, haven't they?

This is all very interesting, but Tesla made significant changes, including adding a third motor and introducing new variants of the S model, all in the 2021 model year. The 2022 model year Teslas won't have many, if any changes over the current 2021 model year. I am sure there is more than slapping on a new year to the sticker, but all the certifications above have been done already, haven't they?
Even in case of no changes to the vehicle, there could be changes to the regulations which can require a recertification. I've not bothered to research ALL the various regulations to know if there are any which change between 2021 and 2022 that would apply in this situation, but that's a clear case where recertification, even if NOTHING changed, could be required. When you look at items like the fuel economy tests to determine the MPGe rating, even something as minor in appearance as changing the factory tire specification could need to be tested to confirm that the prior test results were still applicable.

I've had the most personal, professional experience in the emissions and OBD approval space. For those requirements a new certification application must be submitted and approved each year, even if there were no changes. I've personally been involved in cases where we went through extended Q&A sessions to get an approval for a product that was unchanged from the prior year due to the regulatory agency choosing to ask questions around items that were accepted the prior year.

The best analogy I can give you would be the case where your income is identical to last year, so the view that you shouldn't have to file a tax return because everything would be exactly the same as last year's tax return. My experience is that argument would work about as well for regulatory approval as it would with the IRS around why you didn't submit a tax return.

All of this is why in some prior threads I had questioned whether Tesla would introduce the new models as a 2022 model year in order to avoid the need to submit a recertification effort just a few months later. That is an approach some manufacturers have taken, introducing vehicles carrying the label of the following year as model year even though the were introduced early in the year. I recall Toyota doing than when they launched a new minivan in roughly 2010, introducing it in the spring but already labeled as a 2011 (I may be off a year, but it was in that general era by memory).

I'm not sure what prompted it but Tesla changed their model year identification method in 2019. Prior to that, model years were tied to build date e.g., a car built in December 2016 was labeled a 2016 model.

In 2019, cars built in October, November and December were labeled 2020 models. In 2020, cars built in October, November and December were labeled 2021 which meant there are "pre-refresh" and "refresh" MS models both identified as 2021s.

I believe the 2022 model year start is November instead of October.

Seems like Nov+ builds. The NHTSA letter for 2022 VINs is finally on their site, with a 9/29/2021 letter date. I also saw a post with a Model Y VIN, that had an NF already, but a very much later delivery estimate of Feb.

I’d anticipate we should know very soon as November builds start getting out to customers. If Nov 1+ is the cutover, we should see some NF VINs very quick by now.