Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When ordering a Model Y, how can I know for sure what tech will be included before I make my purchase?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
- JULY 2021 -
When ordering a Model Y, will I know for sure before completing my order if my Model Y will come with 4680 battery cells, the new/er heat pump, and what size side mirrors it will come with, etc…??? Personally, I am not the “spend $75k on credit and hope I get the car I want” type of person! Lol

• Funny
Reactions: morbidz
It’s pretty easy, what you select when ordering the car is what you’ll get.
  • Long Range or Standard Range
  • Exterior Color
  • Interior color
  • Wheel size
  • 5 or 7 seats
  • Basic AP, EAP, FSD
Just like any other car, you’ll get a choice of color, wheels, passenger capacity, and “engine” size.
Just like any other car brand, if you don’t like it then buy something else. You’re not entitled to anything more than what you order.
I’m talking about tech under the hood like heat pump, 4680 vs. 2170 battery cells, what size kWh battery pack, etc.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I’m talking about tech under the hood like heat pump, 4680 vs. 2170 battery cells, what size kWh battery pack, etc.
Your question has been answered in this thread, and other threads in the forum.

You will not know the EXACT configuration until you get your car. Yes, this could be 6-12 months down the line. This is the way Tesla does it.

If you have to know what you are getting, you can either buy a used Tesla, or buy a different car.

Upvote 0
Do you ask for this type of information on the past cars you’ve purchased?
I’ve never had to. If you buy a 2022 BMW X5, then you will know exactly what it comes with because BMW publishes the exact specs of the engine, etc. Since TESLA announces their tech—unrelated to any specific model, thus highlighting their tech—it is understandable that customers will want to ensure that their purchase includes that latest tech boasted by TESLA and may be understandably cagey about spending $70k+ blindly, not knowing if their purchase will include all the latest bells and whistles or not. (Again, I’m referring to tech under the hood.)

Upvote 0
I’ve never had to. If you buy a 2022 BMW X5, then you will know exactly what it comes with because BMW publishes the exact specs of the engine, etc. Since TESLA announces their tech—unrelated to any specific model, thus highlighting their tech—it is understandable that customers will want to ensure that their purchase includes that latest tech boasted by TESLA and may be understandably cagey about spending $70k+ blindly, not knowing if their purchase will include all the latest bells and whistles or not. (Again, I’m referring to tech under the hood.)
Tesla publishes the exact specs of the Y motors too.
Rear motor: AC permanent magnet synchronous motor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive.
Front motor (AWD vehicles): AC induction motor, liquid-cooled, with variable frequency drive.
With BMW all you know you’re getting is a V6 or a V8, HP and torque.
Do you know the processor used in BMWs, would you check if they have single or dual pane panels, what type of heating system they use?
You’ll never have the latest bells and whistles. Technology moves so quickly that as soon as you think you have the newest and greatest, it’s already outdated.
To be honest I have a 2019 Model S with the Intel Atom and a Model Y with the Ryzen, can’t tell a difference between the two.
Stop worrying so much and order the car or don’t.

Upvote 0
There's "a little birdie" saying that 4680 Model Y is software limited because it's actually 500 miles:

From that tweet, the little birdie didn't seem to say software lock, just that there are 4680 packs with 500 mile range driven by employees.
Maybe Dr Jack got the mention of higher range 4680 packs and conflated that into Tesla shipping those to customers.
Don't forget the drone pilots have photographed cars at gigatexas with "engineering sample, contact xxxx for information" on them, which also fits that little birdie comment. Difference is, that was over a month or two ago and not customer cars.
Of course with everything else going on there, who knows what that means.
Guess we just have to wait until Munro Live drops their next video :D

Reactions: Jblache
Upvote 0
I’m sure that’s true, but customers should get it too if they really want it, or request it, not get stuck with poor batteries. I’d love a Y w/4680 battery w/potential 500 ml range !! Tesla needs to be more transparent w/batteries in customers cars. Maybe offer battery choices upfront along w/trim upon purchase.

Upvote 0
I’m sure that’s true, but customers should get it too if they really want it, or request it, not get stuck with poor batteries. I’d love a Y w/4680 battery w/potential 500 ml range !! Tesla needs to be more transparent w/batteries in customers cars. Maybe offer battery choices upfront along w/trim upon purchase.
What an unusual argument lol. What’s to be transparent about. They don’t Make a 500 mile range Y nor have they offered one. I want a 1000 mile Y but I don’t think transparency is the issue.

Upvote 0