Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When should I apply for personalized plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone,
I just ordered a Tesla Y online. I plan to get a personalized plate for it. As Tesla will do the registration, I’m wondering when shall I order the plate and do I need to send it to them before the delivery date? Many thanks.

Tesla no longer fit custom plates, unless you're trading in a vehicle with one and they need to swap between the two vehicles.

So you'll need to organise to swap the plate yourself, either via a phone call or in person at a licensing centre - depending on how it works in your state.

in NSW and VIC you can ask Tesla to fit the cheaper fullsize plate on the car, instead of the more expensive slimline they put on by default.
That way you're not wasting money on a plate you'll remove anyway.
In WA they only ever put the ugly fullsize plate on, I don't know about other states.

Tesla no longer fit custom plates, unless you're trading in a vehicle with one and they need to swap between the two vehicles.

So you'll need to organise to swap the plate yourself, either via a phone call or in person at a licensing centre - depending on how it works in your state.

in NSW and VIC you can ask Tesla to fit the cheaper fullsize plate on the car, instead of the more expensive slimline they put on by default.
That way you're not wasting money on a plate you'll remove anyway.
In WA they only ever put the ugly fullsize plate on, I don't know about other states.
Correct - this is exactly what I had to do just a couple of weeks ago. As soon as I left the delivery centre I headed straight to Service NSW and swapped the yellow plate for my custom one that I ordered back in May.

As soon as I left the delivery centre I headed straight to Service NSW and swapped the yellow plate for my custom one that I ordered back in May.
Same, I went straight to Department of Transport (WA) with the custom plates I'd removed from my old car, and had them update their records so I could put them on the new car - plus a new set of generic slimlines for the old car which is now for sale.