Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to complete pre-delivery tasks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My current EDD is November 13-December 18. I believe trade-in offers are only good for 30 days, so I was planning to wait to complete that task until I received a more concrete date and/or VIN, but I just received a text from Tesla saying I should complete my trade-in details. Does this suggest things are moving along? What's the best practice on when to complete these tasks?

Thanks!

The Trade in texts seem random. I never got one and got my VIN yesterday. I then texted them and asked them to open up the Trade-in section on the website. Up until now I'd told them no trade in. Now I just want to see if it makes sense to trade in or sell privately. I save tax if I trade in but Tesla typically gives low-ball offers according to others. Trading in would be much simpler for me if it comes close to breaking even with a private sale and no tax savings.

From what I've read it seems safer to not do trade in estimates until you have a VIN. Also best to not do financing till you get a VIN unless you are really trying to lock in a rate. Some say these things can delay your order. However, I think that is now a thing of the past and it may not matter too much anymore.

The Trade in texts seem random. I never got one and got my VIN yesterday. I then texted them and asked them to open up the Trade-in section on the website. Up until now I'd told them no trade in. Now I just want to see if it makes sense to trade in or sell privately. I save tax if I trade in but Tesla typically gives low-ball offers according to others. Trading in would be much simpler for me if it comes close to breaking even with a private sale and no tax savings.

From what I've read it seems safer to not do trade in estimates until you have a VIN. Also best to not do financing till you get a VIN unless you are really trying to lock in a rate. Some say these things can delay your order. However, I think that is now a thing of the past and it may not matter too much anymore.

It's random. I received a trade in value months before my VIN arrived. I also submitted a second trade in and NEVER heard back on that one. No rhyme nor reason.

Once I received my VIN (mid Sept) I pushed for an updated trade in valuation... and it did not arrive 5 days later at 8pm the day before delivery. The Service Center was hounding me to take delivery early and yet the entire process (trade in and financing) wasn't complete. The left hand does not speak to the right hand at Tesla. The trade in valuation was basically MMR/auction and I wanted the car gone so I decided to trade it in for the Y.

Reactions: arbitrage000