Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to reject delivery and what can be fixed properly by service centers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing specific that I am worried about. Just in general. I have read paint repairs are not as good as original paint job. Also if the dreaded panel gaps need to be fixed is this some how weakening the car structure...

It's just sheetmetal. Not structure. I wouldn't want any major panel repainted. I'd be ok with bumpers.

Like I've said before Tesla is making it hard on themselves letting so much time between the reservation and delivery. Too much time to read and think about problems.

100% agree. Not just worry about problems, worry about expenses, worry about right choices, etc. Most cars are impulse purchases...

It strikes me that Tesla needs to get their act together quickly. Tesla could be in a very favorable position at the head of the EV sedan market with GM dropping out of that segment. But they must get a handle on the quality control.
Based on forum comments, it seems that a surprising number of vehicles are rejected by their prospective buyers. I wonder what Tesla does with rejected vehicles? Re-work them and offer them to someone else?

Meanwhile, the competition is increasing with all manufacturers planning new EV and several with excellent range.

It is going to get very interesting after the first of the year when the fed rebate is halved.

It strikes me that Tesla needs to get their act together quickly. Tesla could be in a very favorable position at the head of the EV sedan market with GM dropping out of that segment. But they must get a handle on the quality control.
Based on forum comments, it seems that a surprising number of vehicles are rejected by their prospective buyers. I wonder what Tesla does with rejected vehicles? Re-work them and offer them to someone else?

Meanwhile, the competition is increasing with all manufacturers planning new EV and several with excellent range.

It is going to get very interesting after the first of the year when the fed rebate is halved.

Agree. But I'm not sure the forum members match the purchasing population.

Yes, they rework them. Just like everyone else (referenceL Your brand new car might not be completely new after all)

Other dealers repair them on the back lot before presenting to the public. Tesla looks at them just in time delivery and they don't look close enough. The customer knows when it is delayed.

In addition to being better on detailing and identifying and fixing problems, they are going to have to change their delivery model. Send more cars to delivery centers, so they have a buffer to be detailed/repaired and can still deliver cars on schedule.

Going to be hard in states like Texas where they have to collect first.

Rejected cars get rematch to another buyer without even fixing the problems. I had first hand experience as I rejected 5 cars and finally accepted the 6th which is not perfect as well. All had various paint issues. I saw my 3rd and 5th rejected car at the delivery center prepped for another buyer with different software config (EAP, FSD) on a later date. Both cars had the paint issues (one with scratched steering wheels) which I rejected and unfixed. If you search the forums you will see people getting matched to rejected cars.

Rejected cars get rematch to another buyer without even fixing the problems. I had first hand experience as I rejected 5 cars and finally accepted the 6th which is not perfect as well. All had various paint issues. I saw my 3rd and 5th rejected car at the delivery center prepped for another buyer with different software config (EAP, FSD) on a later date. Both cars had the paint issues (one with scratched steering wheels) which I rejected and unfixed. If you search the forums you will see people getting matched to rejected cars.
Getting matched to a previously rejected car is one thing, not fixing the issues the original purchaser pointed out and then reselling to the next guy is a bummer to hear although I expected that. Good on you for rejecting cars with noticeable issues. I am sure that delivery center loves you, lol.

zone - Your post is very discouraging. I had hoped for better things from Tesla.

Your brand new car might not be completely new after all was an interesting read.
I now know this thought is unreasonable, but the owners vehicles are carefully documented by Carfax (I think that is the right name).
Prospective buyers, dealers and insurance companies can learn everything about a vehicle's history, repairs and problems.
How is it that dealers are not likewise held accountable to the buying public?
I'm quite certain that when the legislation was considered, dealers hired expensive lobbyist to make certain they were exempt.

BTW, a ration of 1 acceptable car in 6 is a deplorable percentage .... and even the 6th vehicle "was not perfect."
Well .... there is no such thing as "perfect," but 1 in 6 to find an acceptable is terrible, especially when you consider the long hours, long commutes, and sacrifice required to accumulate the many, many thousands of dollars to purchase such a vehicle.
I suppose this is how Tesla can now quickly deliver "new" M3's to waiting customers with no regard to previous "reservation" holders.
Perhaps those reported storage lots full of cars were rejects????

Last edited:
There are way more people happy with their cars at delivery than those that aren't. The forum is kind of a fishbowl and magnifies issues. Reading it can cause stress if you haven't received your car yet. Some in the forum wait area came up with a good name for it, which I've forgotten, but a lot of stress gets forum induced.

Have to say I also developed anxiety before our delivery or certainly felt nervous and had fingers crossed, whereas never before gave a second thought to buying a car. My car was a 9/2018 build and my husband found I think 3 very tiny paint defects, two I think were a bit rough and the third was a bump. We're getting the car wrapped and having had that done before I know not to sweat over tiny scratches and paint imperfections. The non-flush fender/bumper/headlight area we saw I did want fixed however so those issues we put on our due bill.

Car went into their pop up body shop, set up due to the huge number of cars then being produced at Q3 end. We got it back first time without the alignment issue fixed so sent it back. They were swamped with due bill work and ended up shy of a month but everything looked great when I got it back. Couldn't be happier with the car. Been raining the last few days and no issues with seals or water anywhere. It does seem from what I've been seeing that fewer owners are unhappy with their deliveries and that paint and panel gaps have vastly improved.

I know it's harder to do than say but don't worry at least not until you actually have something to be concerned about. The memory of the due bill wait has faded and honestly I love being in my car and driving it so much. So many people describe it as the best car they have ever owned and I'm in that group too. OP let us know how it goes. Do you have a delivery date yet?

Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet