Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When to switch from winter tire to summer/all season?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll depend on the specific winter tire obviously, but when Edmunds tested this a while back, winters beat the hell out of all seasons in wet (non freezing) weather for stopping and handling.

Tire Test: All-Season vs. Snow vs. Summer | Edmunds

In wet (above freezing) temps the winter tires stopped almost 35 feet shorter than all-seasons.

Obviously summers do even better (significantly above freezing anyway)
Am I missing something, where does it say what temps that test was ran at?

Okay then, quote the whole thing: summer tires killed them all in the wet. So, again, zero reason not to switch.

Also, their 'winter' tires were Michelin PA3, which are 'performance'/eurowinter kind. They are just a bit better than all-seasons in colder wet/dry grip. Tirerack/Edmunds did not test full-on snow tires. But Car&Driver did around the same time, testing same tires. The Nordic winter tire at the time was Michelin Xi2 and it's dry/wet braking distance was 30/20ft longer from 60mph than MXM4 at 23F temperatures.

Okay then, quote the whole thing: summer tires killed them all in the wet.

Uh, I specifically said "Obviously summers do better than either"

I was simply addressing your claim regarding winter vs all seasons- where in this test in wet (not snow) the winters did much better than the all-seasons.

Also, their 'winter' tires were Michelin PA3, which are 'performance'/eurowinter kind.

Which is why I ALSO said "It'll depend on the specific winter tire obviously"

Uh, I specifically said "Obviously summers do better than either"

I was simply addressing your claim regarding winter vs all seasons- where in this test in wet (not snow) the winters did much better than the all-seasons.
Check out the C&D test. They compare PA3 to two all-season tires and it lost to both. At 23F, where 'winter' tires are supposedly much better still than in mid-30s. So, it's also test dependent.

My basic premise is if you have Xi3/Hakkas/etc, ie Nordic winter tires you need to get off them asap as chance of ice/deep snow go down. Cause you're giving up a TON of grip and compromising your own safety. A minivan on bald all-seasons will outbrake you in the dry 30F-40F in an emergency hwy stop, and do so by tens of feet.