Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When was the cabin camera added to Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model 3 with FSD and find the cabin camera monitoring terribly, unnecessarily annoying. It often triggers "pay attention to the road" when I am looking directly in front of me at the road. I find myself yelling and swearing at the car "I am paying attention!".

I recently read an article that mentioned that the 2019 Model X has no cabin camera and so I am considering buying a used Model X Long Range (one without the cabin camera) to both have more range and to get rid of the extra FSD nagging.

Does anyone know, in what year did the Model X add the cabin camera? I know that 2019 does not have it. Did it start in 2020? Maybe a rolling deployment? Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!

Solution
I have a Model 3 with FSD and find the cabin camera monitoring terribly, unnecessarily annoying. It often triggers "pay attention to the road" when I am looking directly in front of me at the road. I find myself yelling and swearing at the car "I am paying attention!".

I recently read an article that mentioned that the 2019 Model X has no cabin camera and so I am considering buying a used Model X Long Range (one without the cabin camera) to both have more range and to get rid of the extra FSD nagging.

Does anyone know, in what year did the Model X add the cabin camera? I know that 2019 does not have it. Did it start in 2020? Maybe a rolling deployment? Any info is GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!
2022 (refreshed X & S)
I can relate as I have a 2017 X and love that it doesn't have an interior camera. This does mean that my FSDbeta strikes are set to 3 instead of 5 FWIW (ie. 1 week loss if it happens).

ChatGPT said:
The internal in-cabin camera was added to the refreshed version of the Tesla Model X in January 2021. The cabin camera is located above the rear-view mirror. It can determine driver inattentiveness and provide audible alerts to remind the driver to keep their eyes on the road when Autopilot is engaged.
Also saw this out there.
But how many cameras does a Tesla have? In short, all new Tesla vehicles (Model 3, Model Y and, 2021 refresh Model S and Model X) have nine cameras – eight exterior cameras strategically placed around the car, plus one in-cabin camera. The pre-2021 Model S and Model X have eight cameras in total (with no internal camera) up until the original HW1 variants that came with only one (front-facing) external camera.

Upvote 0

2022 (refreshed X & S)

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Upvote 0
Solution

For now, cover the camera.

Upvote 0
So I have a question in a similar vein. I currently have a model X 2019 with about 70,000 miles. I have been debating whether or not to trade it in for a new model Y versus getting the Xcare extended warranty. I've been leaning towards going for the new model Y. I just drove one today. So this is my first experience with the auto pilot, which I use a lot on my 60 mile a day drive on the highway, and the in cabin monitoring.

This in cabin monitoring seem to be a real pain. I do not sleep while driving my 2019 X and pay, fairly good attention, but I certainly can look away or find something in my car, glance at my email while I am using the auto pilot with the hands on the wheel.

How intrusive is this in cabin monitoring? Is it worth avoiding the upgrade not to deal with it? What are the rules? I'm supposed to be following as far as "keeping my eyes on the road". I am assuming there's no good way around it such as blocking the camera?

Thanks for any input . I am very happy with my current FSD experience, and I'm concerned that my experience would get much worse with this upgraded cabin camera.

Upvote 0
I skipped the warentee. It was 5500 for 4 years
It’s been 2 years so far and not a dime into the car.
Mine has 64,000. I put the 5500 into an account that earns interest. I’m planning keeping car at least another 8 years and happy with current configuration. I figured if car is trouble free another 2 years, I’ll be ahead 5500.
I actually bought a lifetime warranty for our 2013
Jeep wrangler thinking they are pieces of junk, but every time I go to use, they say it’s a wear item.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info. I've got about 68,800 miles and I put on about 24,000 a year. Extended warranty is about $6,200. I still have not pulled trigger. I was thinking of trading for a new Y. Then I test drive yesterday. The new cabin camera was a big shock. Didn't know that existed. Made the autopilot much less useful. I have FSD, but really most of miles are on the hwy and I don't sleep, but I like to be able to look at my phone. Really has pushed my to stick with the old tech for now. Still debating warranty. It may be for my piece of mind.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02
Upvote 0
So I have a question in a similar vein. I currently have a model X 2019 with about 70,000 miles. I have been debating whether or not to trade it in for a new model Y versus getting the Xcare extended warranty. I've been leaning towards going for the new model Y. I just drove one today. So this is my first experience with the auto pilot, which I use a lot on my 60 mile a day drive on the highway, and the in cabin monitoring.

This in cabin monitoring seem to be a real pain. I do not sleep while driving my 2019 X and pay, fairly good attention, but I certainly can look away or find something in my car, glance at my email while I am using the auto pilot with the hands on the wheel.

How intrusive is this in cabin monitoring? Is it worth avoiding the upgrade not to deal with it? What are the rules? I'm supposed to be following as far as "keeping my eyes on the road". I am assuming there's no good way around it such as blocking the camera?

Thanks for any input . I am very happy with my current FSD experience, and I'm concerned that my experience would get much worse with this upgraded cabin camera.
I have a 2022 M3P with cabin camera, and I drive 90 miles daily on the freeway. I only use basic autopilot since I don't have FSD. Covering the camera basically turns off in-cabin monitoring as I am able to "not pay attention" and the car doesn't seem to notice at all. Normal nagging asking me to put my hands on the steering wheel can be solved by scrolling the wheel to adjust autopilot speed +/- 1 mph.

This is certainly not how the system is intended to be used and is certainly not the safest, and I have been doing this for a year with no issue. Try at your own risk tho.

Reactions: m2s2
Upvote 0
I have a 2022 M3P with cabin camera, and I drive 90 miles daily on the freeway. I only use basic autopilot since I don't have FSD. Covering the camera basically turns off in-cabin monitoring as I am able to "not pay attention" and the car doesn't seem to notice at all. Normal nagging asking me to put my hands on the steering wheel can be solved by scrolling the wheel to adjust autopilot speed +/- 1 mph.

This is certainly not how the system is intended to be used and is certainly not the safest, and I have been doing this for a year with no issue. Try at your own risk tho.
Wow 90 miles a day. That's quite a commute. However, if most of that is highway driving I don't think the FSD really has much advantage on the highway compared to the basic auto pilot. I definitely think the base auto pilot on the highway would make a 90 mile commute, much more enjoyable.

Upvote 0
Wow 90 miles a day. That's quite a commute. However, if most of that is highway driving I don't think the FSD really has much advantage on the highway compared to the basic auto pilot. I definitely think the base auto pilot on the highway would make a 90 mile commute, much more enjoyable.
Indeed. Basic autopilot alone is a godsend for my daily commute, enabling me to do many unspeakable things lol

Anyway, the point is, you don't have to worry about the in-cabin camera once you cover it. That camera is not used for FSD anyway, it's just there to monitor the driver.

Upvote 0