Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will Australia get access to the FSD beta program?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My plan is to get my Model 3, sell my Leaf, the money from the Leaf will then be put away to pay for FSD later. Previous comments on twitter suggest that price will only go up as new features become available in each region so by that logic a delay in FSD availability means a delay in cost increases. I certainly don't mind keeping that money offset against my mortgage in the meantime.

Remember the AI/NN needs to be trained on different signage and road markings, as well as local peculiarities in the driving code .. not a trivial task at all.
I don't think this is an issue: the limited autopilot we have now is obviously having data fed into the system just as the US version is, and it - fairly obviously - has the Australian rules of the road such as driving on the LHS so I imagine the number of differences from the US version to be made up is nothing like it would be if starting from scratch.

I don't think this is an issue: the limited autopilot we have now is obviously having data fed into the system just as the US version is, and it - fairly obviously - has the Australian rules of the road such as driving on the LHS so I imagine the number of differences from the US version to be made up is nothing like it would be if starting from scratch.
It would be nice if this were the case of course, but remember that FSD is easily an order of magnitude more complex from a training standpoint than NoA (actually probably far more than that).

Level 3 isn't really much of an advance on level 2 though, only in our perception. It's still merely a "driver aid" in a broad sense.
If it was that easy an advance don't you think that Elon would have claimed success by now? Here are the differences:

Level 2An advanced driver assistance system (ADAS) on the vehicle can itself actually control both steering and braking/accelerating simultaneously under some circumstances. The human driver must continue to pay full attention (“monitor the driving environment”) at all times and perform the rest of the driving task.
Level 3An automated driving system (ADS) on the vehicle can itself perform all aspects of the driving task under some circumstances. In those circumstances, the human driver must be ready to take back control at any time when the ADS requests the human driver to do so. In all other circumstances, the human driver performs the driving task.

The fact is that despite all of the announcements over the years Tesla are still unable to achieve level 3.

Mercedes is already approved at level 3 with the UN. Tesla seems to be moving at a snails pace at the moment regarding getting FSD outside USA/Canada and is still stuck at level 2. Get a move on or get left behind, Tesla.
I'd rather they do it properly, even if it takes an extra few years. Releasing a flop will only kill the publics trust in FSD.

I bought my Model 3 with the mindset that it will never be FSD. I hope my next car in 10 years will be.

aspirational FSD expansion to international markets in March 2022.

Suspect that will be Europe only
It's LHD and uses a standardised set of road signs across Europe.

Aus/NZ and the UK being RHD, and having a hybrid of Euro and US signs are more difficult.

China is different again as Tesla uses very different underlying maps.

I bought my Model 3 with the mindset that it will never be FSD. I hope my next car in 10 years will be.

Pretty much my thinking with my 18mth old TM3.
Might be different if I could transfer FSD to a future purchase.