Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will software update happen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't yet own a Tesla (I ordered a week ago), but I don't see why you couldn't use the free WiFi offered by public libraries, coffee shops, etc. For that matter, you could set up your cell phone as a WiFi hot-spot and use it -- but then the downloads would count toward your cell phone's data limits, so you'd almost certainly want to shut off the hot-spot feature and/or tell the Tesla to forget that WiFi site once the download completed.

Problem with that is, you cant currently "request" an update. the car will get it when it gets it. You could sit on free wifi for a while and not know when the car would want to pull an update. Until tesla allows us to push a button and have the car request an update, sitting on free wifi or a hotspot is not a real great solution. Like some have said, wifi at a service center may trigger it.
Also, and this is admittedly anecdotal, all of my updates have come later at night - well past the time I'd be sitting near a starbucks or other public wifi.

Reactions: preilly44