Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

When will trial start rolling out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know if the 12 will ever come to the 2024.8.x (or later) track?
Unless the world comes to an end soon, FSD v12 will be coming to people on the 2024.8 branch. I don't know exactly when but Tesla will keep pushing out firmware versions and they will keep improving v12. Both of these seem to be happening rapidly now.

I think Elon surprised some developers with his announcement of a one month free trial to be released in a week. Unlike in the past, Tesla wants a lot of people to use FSD now. The price for the FSD subscription has been cut in half. Of course they will merge v12 into the 2024.8 branch.

It is often missed that it's very very important for Tesla to not screw up any of these OTA updates. Bricking the car is a no-no. Causing safety issues is also a no-no.

This is a situation where a little patience goes a long, long way. Since v12 is improving rapidly, people who are waiting for the free trial should get a better version than those who got it on time.

Of course, no matter what happens, one thing is certain. Some people will complain bitterly.

Based on my observations from this rollout, it appears fsd is always behind the latest release. Therefore if my car is always updating as soon as a new release is available, will I never get the fsd trial?

I'm wondering if pausing updates for a while would be a safe tactic.

Reactions: danarcha
Based on my observations from this rollout, it appears fsd is always behind the latest release. Therefore if my car is always updating as soon as a new release is available, will I never get the fsd trial?

I guess I still don't understand. So cars with FSD are always running an older version of the software? What happens if someone with 2024.8.9 tried to subscribe to FSD through the app? They wouldn't be able to use it until FSD catches up to their software version, or does their software downgrade to a version compatible with FSD?

This is what I did. I set it back to standard after I seen that the 2024.8 branch was not getting the FSD trial yet as we were ahead. So, I switched it to back to standard to let it catch up.

I guess I still don't understand. So cars with FSD are always running an older version of the software? What happens if someone with 2024.8.9 tried to subscribe to FSD through the app? They wouldn't be able to use it until FSD catches up to their software version, or does their software downgrade to a version compatible with FSD?
You can't go back, so you would have to wait for it to catch up. That's what I've read anyway.

Reactions: cstork
You will immediately get access to FSDb v11.4.x but not the current FSDS v12.3

Software does not downgrade.

Reactions: Bacalao
Hopefully next week.

1713032485769.png

So I drove 485 miles today on the free FSD trial. Tremendous. Wow. Smooth. I’ll definitely buy a 1 month subscription in the future for road trips. Construction zones were a bit wonky when the roads were not marked clearly or as in one case they had old edge lines and new lines crossing each other. My experience overall was 96% extremely positive. I would like to see it move my vehicle over a lane when vehicles are merging from an on ramp instead of just slowing down to let them merge. I even got the parking spot feature figured out. Yes I’m a fan. I have many more miles to drive on this road trip as the total will be around 6,500 total miles driven by the time I’m done. Again I’m thankful I got this yesterday. Cheers to the Tesla team!
Update… Well thanks to @teslamotors gifting me a free 30 day trial of Full Self (supervised) Driving, my 6,571 mile roadtrip was a breeze. #tesla #roadtrip yes I’ll be purchasing it by the month for all future road trips. Well worth $99.

Reactions: BitJam and cstork
You can find news about upcoming releases of the vehicle software and the mobile app here:

You can track the software rollouts here. It just shows the 19K vehicles that contribute their data, but it's a reliable indicator of when the general public is receiving a release.

You can find news about upcoming releases of the vehicle software and the mobile app here:

You can track the software rollouts here. It just shows the 19K vehicles that contribute their data, but it's a reliable indicator of when the general public is receiving a release.

So based on this data FSD v12 is not yet available to the largest fleet of Tesla vehicles on the road?

Reactions: boonedocks
So based on this data FSD v12 is not yet available to the largest fleet of Tesla vehicles on the road?
For TeslaFi reporting vehicles (only 19K of the total Tesla population), the majority are not on v12 FSD (2024.3.x), but in the post above with the tweet from Rohan Patel, he indicated that only around 12% of the entire fleet is on v11 FSD (2024.8.x).

TeslaFi.JPG

Last edited:
For TeslaFi reporting vehicles (only 19K of the total Tesla population), the majority are not on v12 FSD (2024.3.x), but in the post above with the tweet from Rohan Patel, he indicated that only around 12% of the entire fleet is on v11 FSD (2024.8.x).

View attachment 1039730

The number of "contributing vehicles" on TeslaFi should be representative of all the cars on the road though? That kind of website would just have a small subset of total global cars. Why would cars on 2024.8.9 be much more "contributing" to TeslaFi than other versions?

And technically it does make sense for Tesla to release v12 to the largest fleet last, i.e. after testing with smaller fleets first. Which would be in inline with TeslaFi's fleet % numbers?

It does make Rohan's 12% claim very unclear/sus for me though.