Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you go for scratch/dent repairs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

I own a 2018 Model 3 RWD Midnight Silver.

I recently got into a small incident where I bumped the right read side of my vehicle into a pillar in a cramped parking garage.

The scratches aren't very deep but there are a lot of them and the bottom of the door frame got dented (pictures included).

I've heard a lot about how expensive seemingly small repairs like these can be so I am trying to figure out the best way to go about it and if it is worth getting insurance involved.

I am in western Washington Puget Sound area. I tried to get quotes from ServiceKing and seeing if Paintless Dent Repair could be an option but the places I contacted suggested I go elsewhere.

I scheduled an appointment with Tesla through the app but they haven't given me a quote yet and it seems impossible to actually speak with a representative at one of their shops so I am just waiting on them replying.

Has anyone here gone through similar repairs? Any learned experiences that you can share?

Attachments

• 20210123_173450.jpg
    20210123_173450.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 20210124_103018.jpg
    20210124_103018.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 20210124_103214.jpg
    20210124_103214.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 155
There are a number of posts on similar damage on and off here. Search for rear quarter panel damage, accident threads.

Bad news is this may look harmless but if you want it repair properly and in a Tesla certified shop OR at a Tesla SC (which will likely farm out to a certified body shop) then prepair for:

a. Rear door skin replacement
b. Rear quarter panel replacement (cutting, welding, repaint) including quarter panel window
c. increased NVH, rattles, squeaks once back (due to all the disassembly and reassembly that takes place, plastic trim, trunk, etc).
d. $$$ bill for something that should cost far far less. Parts are not that expensive, labor is.

The alternative is to find a body shop that will fill in the scratches and repaint.
Any structural damage or battery damage (rocker panel etc) and that option goes out the door.