Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where do you mount your phone?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The phone mount location in the center console is too low to be able to see the screen, and since Tesla doesn't incorporate Apple of Android car play, I think I need to mount the phone somewhere up high where it's less of a diversion from the highway. Could people comment or show photos of how you handle your phone? And what mounting product you used?

The phone mount location in the center console is too low to be able to see the screen, and since Tesla doesn't incorporate Apple of Android car play, I think I need to mount the phone somewhere up high where it's less of a diversion from the highway. Could people comment or show photos of how you handle your phone? And what mounting product you used?

I posted a really detailed message in another thread. I'll copy it here. Also, if you click the litle red arrow below, after "said:", it will take you to the original post, where you can see the photos inline. You also may find that thread useful.

So in the months since I've last posted, I've tried many, MANY different mounts. I have finally come up with a system that I am extremely happy with, so I wanted to share.

Anyone potentially interested in the following should know that while it is not inexpensive, compared to everything else I've tried it is far and away superior. The stability and flexibility offered is so far beyond everything else I tried, I think it is definitely worth the money.

OK. Enough preamble. Here are a couple of pictures.

One for perspective:
View attachment 104817

And one up close:
View attachment 104818

The basic system is a Ram mount system, available for about $48 on Amazon. To the basic system I added some pretty obvious extension pieces--the long double socket arm for about $18 and the Ram double 1-inch ball adapter for about $13.

But what you are seeing as the phone holder is not the typical Ram X-mount holder. When I first tried the Ram mount, and saw how stable it was, and realized I could get the phone in a position I liked, without blocking my view, blocking the vents, etc., I knew this was the mount for me. But I did not love the X-mount, and the fact that there really was no way to get the phone in and out of that with one hand.

More than one of the mounts I had experimented with had phone platforms like the one you see pictured. I checked with Ram, and learned that not only did they not make anything like that, but they had no plans to. So I started to think about how I could fit one of the platforms from one of the other mounts to the Ram mount.

I still had the G-cord cup holder snake-arm mount discussed up thread. I thought the "ball" on the end of the snake might just screw out from the snake, and then I might be able to find a way to screw it in to the Ram mount somehow. But I could not disconnect that ball from the snake. So I measured it, and discovered that it was 11/16" in diameter. The G-cord mount now costs $20 on Amazon.

I then found this on Amazon:
View attachment 104820

It's a Ram 1-inch ball with 1/4 inch 20 male threaded post for cameras and cost $7.50.

So all that was left to do was to find an 11/16" ball with a 1/4" 20 screw thread. It turns out that was easier said than done, but I wound up finding one at McMaster-Carr. It was under $3, but with shipping about $9.

So the total cost of this "custom" system would be about $115, and you'd have some parts left over.

All the URLs are below if anyone is interested in replicating this. One advantage of the Ram system is that all sorts of accessories are available for it, so you can use it for other things in the future, or at times when you're not using it as the phone mount. For example, they make a GoPro ball mount that just pops in on one end.

As for power, I don't usually need to charge my phone in the car, but if I do, I can either run the cable across my lap, or just sit the phone in the center console. It's not ideal, but it's a trade off I'm very happy to make, in light of everything else.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

It took me a long time, but I've finally found a mounting system that I'm really happy with.

Ram Mount System - Amazon.com: Ram Mount Twist Lock Suction Cup Mount with Universal X-Grip Cell Phone Holder, Black: Car Electronics
Ram long double socket arm - Amazon.com: Ram Mount Long Double Socket Arm for 1-Inch Ball Bases: Car Electronics
Ram double 1-inch ball adapter - Amazon.com: Ram Mount Double 1-Inch Ball Adapter: GPS Navigation
G-cord extra long arm cupholder mount - Amazon.com: G-Cord® Flexible Extra Long Arm Cup Holder Mount for iPhone and other Smartphones: Cell Phones Accessories
Ram 1-inch ball with 1/4 inch 20 male threaded post for cameras - Amazon.com: Ram Mount 1-Inch Ball with 1/4-Inch 20 Male Threaded Post for Cameras: GPS Navigation
Red Phenolic ball knob - 1/4" 20 thread, 11/16" diameter - McMaster-Carr

The problem for me, though perhaps not the OP, with any of the magnetic mounts is that they require a semi-permanent mount to some part of the car. I wanted to avoid that. Most also require mounting something to your phone or phone case as well.

If those things won't bother the OP, some of those magnetic mounts look pretty good, and they are certainly a far less costly alternative to my own.

Reactions: tomjonesrocks
I use a clip mount from ProclipUSA.com. I have them for a few of our cars. They are designed specifically for each car. Just pick a dash mount and holder for your phone (I had an old Arkon mount and just ended up using that instead) . Very solid and works great. I like mine down lower but they do offer another mount that is higher. You will see 2 choices for Tesla. They all have have powered holders with a long USB cable that can be routed under dash and into the USB phone port . Since installing it , I ran a USB cable to the mount you see below . Working great since June. The clip is $29.00 and holder varies in price depending if you need power to want to run your own.

ProCLip.JPG

I use a clip mount from ProclipUSA.com. I have them for a few of our cars. They are designed specifically for each car. Just pick a dash mount and holder for your phone (I had an old Arkon mount and just ended up using that instead) . Very solid and works great. I like mine down lower but they do offer another mount that is higher. You will see 2 choices for Tesla. They all have have powered holders with a long USB cable that can be routed under dash and into the USB phone port . Since installing it , I ran a USB cable to the mount you see below . Working great since June. The clip is $29.00 and holder varies in price depending if you need power to want to run your own.

View attachment 208335

I have been a huge fan of proclip for years but I am a little hesitant affixing something to my screen. I wonder how difficult it would be to remove and if it scratches up the screen borders?

Last edited:
I have been a huge fan of proclip for years but I am a little hesitant affixing something to my screen. I wonder how difficult it would be to remove and if it scratches up the screen borders?
I've removed it a few times to check on any scratches and so far no issue. The plastic is somewhat flexible. The only concern for some it that it slightly blocks the volume up/down for the passenger causing them to lean forward to change- but as the driver that was OK with me ;).

Also looks like a few companies are selling the same ProClip adapter.

I've removed it a few times to check on any scratches and so far no issue. The plastic is somewhat flexible. The only concern for some it that it slightly blocks the volume up/down for the passenger causing them to lean forward to change- but as the driver that was OK with me ;).

Also looks like a few companies are selling the same ProClip adapter.

Yup, in the my Infiniti and BMW's, I've had the phone mount right by the gear box away from controls. On the Tesla, I really don't like how it blocks some of the beautiful Tesla LCD display and I feel it kinda takes away from it.

Here's just one photo of the set-up I posted about earlier:

Ram Mount Perspective.jpg

A little bit costly, but it doesn't block any vents, doesn't require anything be attached anywhere permanently, and leaves the phone in a position where it is easily seen, and if need be reached.

Reactions: MXWing
Here's just one photo of the set-up I posted about earlier:

View attachment 208964

A little bit costly, but it doesn't block any vents, doesn't require anything be attached anywhere permanently, and leaves the phone in a position where it is easily seen, and if need be reached.
I definitely like your setup the best, but I'm daunted by the process of fitting all the different pieces together.

I definitely like your setup the best, but I'm daunted by the process of fitting all the different pieces together.

If you're not concerned about the money, don't be at all concerned about putting it together. I am not at all handy--really--and this couldn't have been simpler once I had the right parts.

The hardest part was finding the right sized ball-knob. Other than that, it really is a piece of cake.

Also, if you like the position, etc., you could try it out by just purchasing the first three RAM items, for about $80. That will give you the RAM X-mount, which I did not like, but it may not bother you. You could try that for a while, and if you like it, but would prefer the mount I used, then add the other pieces later.

You can put the RAM pieces together in less time than it will take you to get them out of the packaging!