Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is my charge going?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed if my car sits for a day or two that I lose (What I feel) is a fair amount of power from the pack. Wanted to see how normal this is. I know there are probably tons of other threads on this, but I couldn't find a good one through the hundreds that come up searching for a topic like this! Feel free to point me in the right direction vs writing out an explanation.

Here's my example. Was travelling over the Easter weekend. When I got home, I plugged in and brought the car back up to 90% (229.5 miles.) This was at 00:27 on 3/27.

I didn't drive the car at all on 3/28.

On 3/29 @ 08:17, I needed to get something out of the car. Noticed my range was down to 86% (219 miles.) At that point, I heard the charger click on and the car charged back up to 90% (228.2 miles) in 19 minutes.

So, should I expect to lose 10 miles in 2.3 days while plugged in?

I've noticed if my car sits for a day or two that I lose (What I feel) is a fair amount of power from the pack. Wanted to see how normal this is.
Here's my example. Was travelling over the Easter weekend. When I got home, I plugged in and brought the car back up to 90% (229.5 miles.) This was at 00:27 on 3/27.
I didn't drive the car at all on 3/28.
On 3/29 @ 08:17, I needed to get something out of the car. Noticed my range was down to 86% (219 miles.) At that point, I heard the charger click on and the car charged back up to 90% (228.2 miles) in 19 minutes.
So, should I expect to lose 10 miles in 2.3 days while plugged in?

That sounds pretty normal to me. I charge to 70% overnight. Typically down to 68% after sitting for 12+ hours. 1%-2% per day is normal. When the car drops 5%, it will charge itself back up automatically if it is plugged in. I never worry about the miles.

It's also dependent on a few other things. Hitting the car constantly with the mobile app will take more power than if you let the car snooze. Energy saver "on" with "always connected" is better than energy saver "off", and removing "always connected" as Ingineer says is even better.

OP, older threads on this including a post with specific stats I noted trying various option combinations over a several day period on my S90D in Fall 2015. Net in my analysis was that I keep Energy Saving ON and Always Connected Checked (ON). It's the best combination for my needs attempting to preserve range between charging, while allowing reasonable access time for my Tesla App to reach my MS.

Worst case options in terms of daily vampire loss are Energy Saving OFF and Always Connected ON, which consume IIRC (see my old post) about 7-8 mi/day, but the reality is, leaving Always Connected ON only consumes 1-2 mi/day of that, and if you care about possibly connecting to your MS with the Tesla App in a timely manner (and not waiting perhaps several minutes for your MS to wake up it's LTE connection if you uncheck that box), leave Always Connected Checked. That's what I do.

The other major issue I have with what appears like daily vampire loss, but isn't -- is really an acknowledged USB firmware bug with no ETA on resolution -- where USB music can sometimes play by itself when your MS is otherwise OFF but plugged-in. You'll find references to this in other threads with something like "USB Phantom Playing". The loss I've seen from this is in the neighborhood of an additional 2-3 miles loss/day. Workaround is to try and remember to switch your MS to something like a FM channel before exiting -- muting, pausing, etc will not effect the problem, and while you could remove the USB stick, you then get to wait (the sometimes very long time) for MS to reindex your flash drive when you want to listen to USB music again.​

Also, note that it is completely normal for MS to not charge every single day if you have it plugged-in but don't drive it for a few days. Mine is set to charge every day at midnight, and will top off the first night after I plug in, but if I don't drive for a couple days, MS will let my charge drop somewhere around 8-10 miles before it will actually trigger the top-off on a subsequent scheduled charge.