Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't talk about it too much. But let's just say that looks like a dead ringer for another electric SUV from a different manufacturer. I'll never forget that ugly rear.

Aston Martin maybe? They had plans for a SUV based on Mercedes GL, but then decided to scrap those plans. And I remember Aston Martin also had that Toyota iQ clone called Cygnet. Maybe they're up for a Tesla Model X Clone? That'd be cool btw.

Aston Martin maybe? They had plans for a SUV based on Mercedes GL, but then decided to scrap those plans. And I remember Aston Martin also had that Toyota iQ clone called Cygnet. Maybe they're up for a Tesla Model X Clone? That'd be cool btw.

It was also noted that a couple Model S's were by the trailer as well. I don't know why another car maker would be driving Tesla's.

Here is my conspiracy theory, Aluminum foul pointy hat. with tongue firmly in cheek theory. I hope all the TM staff gets a chuckle:
It is the drivetrain of the model3 being tested with an old slightly modified Aztek body. TM wanted a similar sized 'body' to try on their new drivetrain.
probably already has torque vectoring, autopilot and a heated steering wheel! :)

I think maybe it's a hoax by some industrious Tesla owners. Somebody took a Prius and put some camo on it put it in a trailer with a Tesla banner on it (although we don't see anything on the trailer that says Tesla in the photos). In that fuzzy of a picture, it wouldn't take much to make it look like it has falcon-wing doors.

It looks too small, the rear proportions are wrong, and the pictures are just too conveniently bad. If my iPhone 5 ever took a video that bad, it would be trashed. You couldn't get a photo until the car was halfway back in the trailer? Just too many coincidences for me.

That, and I don't want my MX to look anything like that, so I'm in denial.

The camo X likely has some fake body pieces on it, including around the Falcon Wing doors, and that combined with the confusing graphics plastered over the real body panels makes it impossible to see the actual design of the X. So all this speculation about what the camo X shows about the production version is just speculation.

As to why Tesla was driving this X on an Alameda NAS airstrip, I have no idea. It does seem odd given that there is a big test track at the Fremont factory. Maybe Elon just wanted to mess with our heads... ;-)

...does the Fremont test track have mile+ long wide runways, or just an oval?

...does the Fremont test track have mile+ long wide runways, or just an oval?

More like a long straight with a loop at each end, IIRC the whole thing is about 2000ft from one end to another (~4,000ft for a full circuit):

Untitled.jpg

I think maybe it's a hoax by some industrious Tesla owners. Somebody took a Prius and put some camo on it put it in a trailer with a Tesla banner on it (although we don't see anything on the trailer that says Tesla in the photos). In that fuzzy of a picture, it wouldn't take much to make it look like it has falcon-wing doors.

It looks too small, the rear proportions are wrong, and the pictures are just too conveniently bad. If my iPhone 5 ever took a video that bad, it would be trashed. You couldn't get a photo until the car was halfway back in the trailer? Just too many coincidences for me.

That, and I don't want my MX to look anything like that, so I'm in denial.

This actually comes up every other year in the MacRumors forums. New iPhone exteriors get leaked and people say something like: "Jony Ive would never design something that ugly" and "must be a fake" and "photos too fuzzy". Every time this happens the naysayers have been proven wrong.

Again, look at the alloy wheels. Same as what the X concept uses.

There is so much camouflage on that vehicle that we just don't know what it really looks like. I seriously doubt someone would get some Tesla Model S, camo a jacked-up Prius, and film the whole thing just for some lulz.

Wheels actually look exactly like the Model S prototype wheels. Not that someone else couldn't get a set just like them.

I also think this is an X beta tester. There's no way this is a Rav 4, it's too damn quick! I didn't time that straight run but it was hauling some serious arse before they jumped on the brakes. It also stopped in a really big hurry.

Honestly, it looks like they were doing a 0-60-0 test and a skidpad (cornering G force) test. Although, the track looked a bit dirty. I would expect they would want a clean surface if they're trying to gather numbers. As another poster pointed out, that thing stays super flat for how tall and how fast it was going in circles.