Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why Does My Model X get so many Flat Tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HI, I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed with my Model X flat tires.

I have a 2020 Model X, and for the first couple years I only had one flat. Now I've had 6 flats in 7 months.

Every time I replace a tire with Tesla it's another $500 each, plus hours (or days) of downtime and lost time.

The service centers said it was alignment issues. So I've gotten 4 alignments. The latest alignment and tire check was at the St Pete center a few days ago, in preparation for a trip to Disney World.

Well...it didn't do any good. Yesterday I woke up at our AIR B&B to drive the family to Disney, and saw the front left tire was completely flat. The kids were so upset. Now, I'm delayed an entire day waiting for a replacement.

Tesla does not have a solution. Actually, nobody really seems to care enough to research an answer.

I was the biggest Tesla FSN. I have a solar roof and battery, and a Model X. But I'm disillusioned and can no longer recommend Tesla. I would feel terrible if someone had an accident driving these defective Tesla Model X

I will have to rent a different type of car (definitely not a Tesla) on our family mountain trip to Ashville NC. I can't risk tires blowing out in the mountains at night.

Overall, very bad experience with Tesla..

Any Tesla Drivers out there figure out a workaround?

@Jay Kamhi, I would never go to Tesla for tires. My preference is Discount Tires and they are really good about dealing with roadside hazards.

I have never had a flat tire in the 6.5 years with my model X. Are you always getting them in the same location? Why are you needing new tires as opposed to plugging?
I've always used the Tesla Tires (Continental) but I'll try a new brand and get a warranty. Tesla gives no warranty. All 4 tires have blown. Usually a tire is flat after I leave the car in the garage, or park it somewhere. The Orlando Tesla shop could not even tell me why it was flat, as the tire was completely destroyed. Could not be plugged. Roadside told me they've seen quite a few flats on the Model X, totally not the fault of the driver.

Upvote 0
So ur blaming Tesla and tires for random objects on the road that cause u flat tires??

If ur roads or luck so bad then switch to Run Flats or use the bus 😂

Also, plenty of places to get cheaper tires..
I've been driving these same roads for over 20 years with maybe 2 or 3 flats total in different cars, mostly Toyotas. I drive carefully. I only started getting flats with Tesla (and I know from reading different threads that I'm far from the only one). I've had a couple of Tesla Roadside techs tell me it was because the tires were wearing down because of bad alignment. So now I pay for new alignments every few weeks. Still has not solved the problem.

Upvote 0
6 years and 72,000 miles and only one flat which was fixed for free at a local tire shop. Discount Tire is the way to go. I have made a few cross country trips as well as too many to count from MA to FL.
Wow, that's amazing only 1 flat. I have the 2020 model, sounds like you have an older model that maybe doesn't have the same issues I will check out Discount Tire.

Reactions: Discount Tire
Upvote 0
I've been driving with Tesla since 2015.
I never had a flat on my 2015 S
I have had one flat each on both my 2018 X and 2019 Model 3. Both flats were my own driveway <sigh>.
I've never had a flat on the road on any vehicle in 60 years of driving.
Lol, both flats in your driveway, I experience the same thing with my Model X. I'm ultra careful driving, and I blamed myself at first. But after 6 flats, I know it's not me. As a manufacturer of high quality toys, I still have a small detective rate, and I dont blame it on the customer. Wish Tesla had the same attitude.

Upvote 0
HI, I'm in the Clearwater Florida area and I'm extremely frustrated and disappointed with my Model X flat tires.

I have a 2020 Model X, and for the first couple years I only had one flat. Now I've had 6 flats in 7 months.

Every time I replace a tire with Tesla it's another $500 each, plus hours (or days) of downtime and lost time.

So much wrong with what you’re saying.
  • There is no such thing as a Tesla tire. Tesla doesn’t make tires, never has, never will. For that matter, none of the car manufacturers make their own tires.
  • Something is wrong with where you drive that you get so many flats.
  • Never buy tires from a Tesla service center. The same brand cost more and doesn’t have a warranty. Buy tires from a tire shop that gives a road hazard warranty. You can’t do better than Discount Tire.
  • The reason a Service Center doesn’t have you tire in stock is because they really don’t sell tires. It’s a sideline. The big tire store chains usually have your tire, it not, they get them the same day.
  • You get a front end alignment every couple of weeks? I find that hard to believe. I get an alignment every couple of years.

Upvote 0