Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I sincerely doubt that Tesla would add a receiver with lower clearance than the X itself. There are things I might wonder/worry about, that would not be one. :)

TM is also very very concerned about aerodynamics. A concealed receiver would be the best option for this. One hanging off the bottom of the car isn't even an option for them because it would mess up the slipstream.

Präsentation1.png

I put all pics together...

I sincerely doubt that Tesla would add a receiver with lower clearance than the X itself. There are things I might wonder/worry about, that would not be one. :)

I agree. From the limited photos of the vehicle that we don't even know is a Model X beta, I am concerned.

Now that I read that sentence back, never mind...

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

what do you mean? i did..??

Sorry if we were not clear. These exact photographs were posted on page 53 of this thread. Several others have "found" these pictures and posted them for us, and every time they get posted, we all think they will be new, different shots. They have been heavily discussed in this thread for many hours.

I'm guessing this is due to beta, but something going on in this photo with the window. Looking at the other side (in other photos) it appears taped. Surely just a beta thing.

View attachment 71998

As someone going through a winter with oft-frozen windows on the Model S, to me that image looks like a frozen frameless window not bowing down when opening/closing the door. It stays exactly like that above the chrome trim when frozen in the upmost position on the Model S.

Obviously it is not frozen in that image, but it could be intentionally tested to see how the car performs in that scenario, intentionally left hanging out like that to camo the shape of the car, or simply a bug/broken. To me it looks like the window is up and pushed slightly ajar by the roofline chrome trim. Of course images in #681 suggest that could be just stuff taped on the sides of the window and, thus, merely an optical illusion - in fact, despite what my eyes tell me, I'm leaning on the latter simply because of symmetry and #681 images showing how that illusion can happen from more close proximity. The "dock mule" Model X episode earlier in the thread certainly showed us how much optical illusions can mess with our heads when the images aren't of high-enough resolution.

For all those who've taken part in the investigative work in this thread, major thanks. For those who think it makes us somehow unique or strange, let me assure you, it is the same on every enthusiast forum/interest group on the internet or off the internet, no matter the category. Part of the wait is the fun of trying to find out what you can, some of it can go way out there or way off, but as even Elon Musk admitted in the lead-up to the "D", much of the time this process does get it right to the extent it can. Of course this process is also helpful in trying to make as educated decisions as possible with obviously limited and probably faulty data, say, for someone mulling whether or not to wait for Model X or go for some other product. So, a great thread. Thank you.

FWIW, at least that's a fresh idea. ;)

Personally, I doubt there is anything new going on in that area in particular. I'm more interested, as said in the visual differences summary, what is going on beneath the rear window. Is the camo there covering a longer rear window (hidden camera?), an extending spoiler (like Audi A7) or merely throwing us off on the rear design a little.

The came on the rear and the rear sides where the falcon wings end also makes me wonder if that has anything to do with the proposed solution to carry stuff on the roof. Maybe not.

Yes. It'll be a battery with wheels and a galvanized top. The hitch will include uplink. Range increases to 450 mi while trailering. :wink:
Think about it... What if they did release a trailer for the Model X that has it's own pick-your-size battery built into the floor? If they sold a trailer with a large battery built in to offset the loss of range created by towing the weight and worse aerodynamics, that would be an amazing add-on for Model X owners. Towing in the Model X could even improve standard range because of the second battery. That plus the supercharger network and the Model X could easily be an efficient and even preferred method of moving small amounts of goods. Add some solar panels to the roof...

Think about it... What if they did release a trailer for the Model X that has it's own pick-your-size battery built into the floor? If they sold a trailer with a large battery built in to offset the loss of range created by towing the weight and worse aerodynamics, that would be an amazing add-on for Model X owners. Towing in the Model X could even improve standard range because of the second battery. That plus the supercharger network and the Model X could easily be an efficient and even preferred method of moving small amounts of goods. Add some solar panels to the roof...

Much as I love the idea, mathematics won't allow a trailer with any substantial second battery. The extra weight will run the main car battery pack down even faster.

The current Model S sweet spot for range/weight/cost is 85kWh and Model X might be different but adding a whole second battery isn't going to work.

Much as I love the idea, mathematics won't allow a trailer with any substantial second battery. The extra weight will run the main car battery pack down even faster.

The current Model S sweet spot for range/weight/cost is 85kWh and Model X might be different but adding a whole second battery isn't going to work.

On top of that the battery packs IIRC are quite heavy. You would have to add frame weight/suspension weight to the X to be able to tow the Tesla Trailer in the empty state. Might be a negligible net gain proposition.

No, all of you are approaching this trailer thing from the wrong perspective.

Just remember, you're reading it here first.

The "Weapon Against Dealers" that Mr Musk broached during the 4Q report is as follows:

* Tesla Motors is about to become a full-service seller of trailers.
* They will be compatible, however, only with a certain set of automobiles.
* They will be, as most have surmised, sleek and lightweight.
* They will cost from more or less US$80K up to about $150K
* and each will include, free!!!!...a certain automobile-like 85kWh giftie-thingy. For pulling the trailer, donchaknow.