Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is the Model X Test Mule? Is there one?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The X in that video is hardly camouflaged. If Tesla is claiming to not show the car until delivery time, to me, that's practically showing it. I said it before and I'll say it again, I think the final product is going to be a good amount different than that prototype. I'm not just talking about minor details...I'm talking different body panels, different rear and different C-pillar window. I agree that's a test mule, but not really what we're going to be getting.

Speaking of the C-pillar, what's with that wide black piece, not being a window? Kind of interesting actually.

The X in that video is hardly camouflaged. If Tesla is claiming to not show the car until delivery time, to me, that's practically showing it. I said it before and I'll say it again, I think the final product is going to be a good amount different than that prototype. I'm not just talking about minor details...I'm talking different body panels, different rear and different C-pillar window. I agree that's a test mule, but not really what we're going to be getting.

Speaking of the C-pillar, what's with that wide black piece, not being a window? Kind of interesting actually.

I think there's a difference between "showing" and "showing." I don't think the car is going to be vastly different than what we're seeing here. I think Musk means they aren't going to release the final details/specs before delivery, which includes any close ups of the un-camouflaged car.

I think there's a difference between "showing" and "showing." I don't think the car is going to be vastly different than what we're seeing here. I think Musk means they aren't going to release the final details/specs before delivery, which includes any close ups of the un-camouflaged car.

It is not just the appearance of the car that TM is trying to keep 'close to the vest', it is the features. LTE? more autopilot features, second and third row seating, towing or roof rack(?) capabilities are many possible advances that TM is keeping quiet until first delivery.

Cool video... thoughts:

- This confirms my earlier supposition that at least one of these mules has been wrapped. Even to the point of obscuring the front air-intakes (if that's what they still are). I wonder how many different ones have really been seen...

-I hadn't realized before that the top-rear of the falcon-wing doors appear to meet at the top edge of the rear hatch-lid. This made me go back and find the picture below.. and now I wonder about interference at that junction if all three are open simultaneously... guess the rear must be a zero-clearance hinge... I'll have to go look carefully at my Model S and see...

View attachment 75356

I'm sure it won't be a problem. It actually makes sense to suspend them all together like that - I'm sure there's one big H shaped structural element that supports the rear hatch and both Falcon doors, containing both the B and C pillars. Look at it this way: With the structure in place to hold all that door weight and crash loads, you know it'll pass rollover easily. :)
Walter

Clearest images I've seen so far. Funny how the driver sped up when he realized he was being filmed.

The video is almost too good, which makes me wonder if it was staged. This Model X (Beta?) is virtually un-camouflaged, and the acceleration flyby seems geared to demonstrate the ample passing power of the vehicle.

I've no doubt that Model X will drive really well. What I'm really waiting for is the feature set and interior. I really want to see what lessons the company learned from Model S and applied to the Model X.