Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where is voice control for settings???

Do you think Tesla should put a high priority on voice control for settings?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a new owner of a Model S as of September 2018. I've put 3300 miles on the car and I still cannot use the touch screen without feeling like I'm using my phone while I'm driving. The first problem is that you have to scan and read to find what you want. The second problem is that you typically have to touch a small target that is not tactile and provides no haptic feedback. This is annoying at best and presents a serious safety hazard.

Some UI design changes could improve things, such as providing unique spatial layouts and larger targets, but voice control seems like an obvious and ideal solution. Voice control is already built into the software for music and navigation, so it can't be that big of a leap to add additional commands for many if not all of the settings. It should also allow for several ways of saying and doing the same thing.

Voice control would allow you to keep your eyes on the road and your hands on the wheel - a significant safety improvement. I think this could be one of the biggest improvements in the overall Tesla user experience. I'd like to know if others here agree.

For less clicking, they should merge the two HVAC control tabs, that would be less annoying and safer.

As for voice control: the cars that had it, that I tested or owned, were just annoying.
Features required very specific keywords, which were often misunderstood by the system, after enough annoyance, the voice controls were not used.
The fact that Tesla can search Spotify by voice, is by far the most useful voice control of a car I have ever seen. Speaking "set temperature 23°C" the times to get it right is not useful.

If Tesla should add voice control to something useful, that would be to actually recognise names in phone contacts, not like most services , that can find a few pure English names, but something that can recognize names as they are pronounced in their normal region.

I agree that lousy voice recognition is not going to help. I expect Tesla to deliver outstanding voice control that is well designed and works reliably. I suspect - and. hope - that the reason we don’t have it yet is because it is taking time to develop and get it right. When they do, it will be a huge improvement, especially in safety.

I agree that voice control of HVAC should be a high priority. I have been asking Tesla for this for nearly a year.

At the very least we should have the option of moving HVAC controls to the top of the screen instead of the bottom. I change my heat settings far more often than I adjust bluetooth and other top of screen items and I feel it is very unsafe to have to take my eyes off of the road at highway speeds to do this.