Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where should I install the charger ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll try to keep it short. I’m debating if I install a Tesla charger outside or an appliance type plug inside the garage. I live in MTL ( cold winters ) and might be parking in my single car garage on bad days. However , the rest of the year outside. I was thinking of installing it inside my garage and then maybe installing an exhaust port kind of thing in my garage door for passing through the charger when I’m parked outside. What do u think ?

Only because it’s a small single garage and in the summer we have the bikes and lawnmower in there.
Depending on how often you have to charge, you could park outside the garage and leave the door open when charging. In any case, mounting the charger outside means you have to park outside to charge even in nasty weather, so inside seems to be the way to go.

Reactions: Ciaopec
You could always go with the charger in the location you expect to get the most use and then a good outlet in the other area that would be reachable by your mobile connector. So, this might look like putting the wall connector outside and then a NEMA 14-50 outlet in the garage that you could plug into when parked inside. This arrangement will of course cost more, but how much more will vary quite a lot depending on the distance of the garage from your main panel and exactly how many amps you decide are absolutely necessary for your charging needs, etc.

Is it 50amp or 30amp I should be installing?
How many miles do you drive regularly on a weekday? How many hours of charigng can you get?
How many miles do you drive regularly on a weekend day? How many hours of charging can you get?

A 30A socket (240V x 24A charging) is sufficient for most people. It's what I use for my Kona EV, which doesn't have a heat pump, but I have a moderate (66km-74km) commute and -25C would be considered an extremely cold winter morning commute.

How many miles do you drive regularly on a weekday? How many hours of charigng can you get?
How many miles do you drive regularly on a weekend day? How many hours of charging can you get?

A 30A socket (240V x 24A charging) is sufficient for most people. It's what I use for my Kona EV, which doesn't have a heat pump, but I have a moderate (66km-74km) commute and -25C would be considered an extremely cold winter morning commute.
Im just going to go with a 50amp leading to a Nema 15-40 in my garage. This way I have more flexibility going forward with plug in chargers and other EV’s.