Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where the rear casting of the Model Y is manufactured?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any guess where the machine used to build the mega casting of the rear of the Model Y, can be located?

- Is there enough space inside the Fremont factory, or
- the Giga Factory in Fresno, or some other locations such as
- the Oaks Logistics Center in Livermore, California, or
- the Tesla Lathrop, California, near Stockton?

I was puzzle looking at the following position: Process Engineer, Castings, Tesla Lathrop, CA
but it seems that this position might deals with plastic injection molding and die casting.

However I was previously looking at this ambitious project::
Tesla has a giant new machine to produce the Model Y frame in almost one piece,
and the associated patent description: Multi-directional casting machine for casting a frame of a vehicle

The patent dated January 2018 was signed by Matthew Kenneth Kallas who at the time was working with Tesla,
but more recently joined GF Casting Solutions, Mills River, NC,

I noticed that GF is supporting the Swissloop project of the ETH Zurich,
so I would not be surprised if the Model Y's rear floor casting
would be currently outsourced and manufactured by GF Casting Solutions?

Screen-Shot-2020-04-24-at-10.09.32-AM.jpg

TEsla-Model-Y-rear-body-casting-e1587747548762.jpg

When Elon was talking about the shutdown he said that their facility in San Joaquin was able to open and was making castings.
Of the locations you listed the only one in San Joaquin is Lathrop.
I wonder if Tesla already has such casting machine?
Elon Musk mentioned that they plan to make the two large and the two smaller pieces into a single big casting.

If they get another larger casting machine then, what they will do with the other one?
A possibility would be to have the smaller casting machine in San Joaquin,
and then a larger one in Texas? (“Everything is Bigger in Texas” )

• Funny
Reactions: israndy
China will be the first with the giant casting machine I think. In the drone videos you see them building the giant pit for the casting center for machines to set down in. Tesla has built nothing like that in any of the other pics Ive seen from factory construction. Its a deep huge hole for a big machine. the other stamping machine use much much small holes.

• Informative
Reactions: Watts_Up
China will be the first with the giant casting machine I think.
In the drone videos you see them building the giant pit for the casting center for machines to set down in.
Tesla has built nothing like that in any of the other pics Ive seen from factory construction.
Its a deep huge hole for a big machine. the other stamping machine use much much small holes.
Could you give a link to this video?

I checked all the videos from 乌瓦 and noticed a possible hole from the following video: May 27, 2020

Is it what you noticed at 11:05?

TeslaGiga3 .jpg