Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to buy a 2021 model x key?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our family recently downsized to one car. needed a second key our 2021 model X. But the online keys are only compatible with 2021+? Saying not compatible with ours. Not sure how to add a key… thanks!
For legacy X (and S) you have to buy from your local service center. The SC is the only place that can program the key to your car. Before you leave the SC, make sure each key is named differently. Apparently it is tricky to get the key fob number to be different than your other key. That way you can tie the fob to your driver profile.

I just bought one on eBay and can’t reprogram my self it appears. They want $211 to come out and it seems like going to the SC isnt being given as an option.
2020 and older have a different key system than 2021+. The keys are not interchangeable even though they look identical.

Older keys need to be programmed by service. Newer keys can be programmed yourself like Model 3/Y.

Make sure you bought the right key. If not then return it.

Reactions: JBT66
2020 and older have a different key system than 2021+. The keys are not interchangeable even though they look identical.

Older keys need to be programmed by service. Newer keys can be programmed yourself like Model 3/Y.

Make sure you bought the right key. If not then return it.
They came out and charged me $22. Working like a charm.