Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to get a new Tesla Mobile connector charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just ordered a Model Y, and hope to pickup Monday. But since the car does not come with a charger, where can I buy a new
Tesla Mobile Connector charger?
All cars come with a charger. They are internal to the car. You are looking for the Mobile Connector or Wall charger which are basically glorified extension cords. Having one is not a requirement, but a good idea. You will need to have the correct adapter for it, depending on what you plug it into.

Service Center is a starting place, online is the other.

I didn't realize that they weren't coming with the mobile adatper anymore.

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Just ordered a Model Y, and hope to pickup Monday. But since the car does not come with a charger, where can I buy a new
Tesla Mobile Connector charger?
FYI, I rarely use mine anymore. I have a Wall Connector at home and use that to charge. But if you drive and want to charge at a rental house/condo then a Mobile Connector is very useful.

You can buy used ones on eBay.

Check with the service center? I see they are currently out of stock on the Tesla site.
This one? https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

The cheaper one is out of stock, but that’s because it’s being phased out. It has a permanently attached wall plug. The more expensive one has a replaceable plug, which is better if you want access to level 1 or level 2 charging, without having two separate cables.

This one? https://shop.tesla.com/product/mobile-connector

The cheaper one is out of stock, but that’s because it’s being phased out. It has a permanently attached wall plug. The more expensive one has a replaceable plug, which is better if you want access to level 1 or level 2 charging, without having two separate cables.
The reason the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector exists is because it supports charging at up to 40 amps and comes with a fixed NEMA 14-50 power plug. The Tesla Gen2 Mobile Connector that supports modular power plug adapters for a wide range of 120V and 240V receptacles only supports charging at up to 32 amps.

Although rarely available for sale from the Tesla online store the Corded Mobile Connector has not been discontinued by Tesla. The Corded Mobile Connector can sometimes be purchased for a marked up price from eBay sellers.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and Goobers
One more thing to toss out there. We usually recommend the wall connector if you're wiring a new circuit. The cost differential is not great because an outlet for an EV requires GFCI, which adds cost, and most people really do not need a mobile connector. Commercial public charging only needs the J1772 adapter, which the car still comes with.

Reactions: h2ofun
All cars come with a charger. They are internal to the car.
If you're going to wag your finger at people and do this nitpicky "correction", you just set the bar really high, and you'd better get it right.
You are looking for the Mobile Connector or Wall charger
...and then you incorrectly referred to it as a wall charger.

The person is just asking for charging equipment, not needing to get terminology really specific in a parts list.

If you're going to wag your finger at people and do this nitpicky "correction", you just set the bar really high, and you'd better get it right.

...and then you incorrectly referred to it as a wall charger.

The person is just asking for charging equipment, not needing to get terminology really specific in a parts list.
You know, all I was trying to do is help a newbie. I wasn't wagging a finger; I was helping a newbie by clarifying a common misnomer.

My gen 3 wall connector just came, will take a while to see if I can get installed. I ordered a Gen 2 mobile connector from Tesla, not sure when will ship. I borrowed a gen 1 from a person so it gives me a little different option. I hope I got the working correct this time :)

Why would I do that and have to pay? I get 100% free charging at home
It's NOT 100% free charging at home AFAIK, you have to pay for it.

Just a little hard to understand why you spent over $50,000 on a vehicle and are now balking at putting $10 in fuel in it.

If nothing else, just visit the Supercharger so that you know how to use it on trips.

There also seems to be a number of J-1772 locations near you, many of those are indeed free.

You bought a freaking Tesla. They aren't museum pieces they are cars that are meant for driving!

Tesla requires a valid card linked to the account before you can use the Supercharger network. You should verify that a valid credit card or debit card is linked to your Tesla account.

You should test that your Model Y can charge at a Supercharger for when you may need to use the Supercharger. (LPT: When I have tested Supercharging and ended the charging session with less than $0.25 for the charging session this small charge does not show up as having been billed to my Tesla account.)

Locate the provided Tesla SAE J1772 adapter (boy that is a lot words, letters and number.) Use Plugshare to help locate nearby public charging stations. Some may be free to use while you park, perhaps for up to 2 hours. Learn how to use the J1772 adapter to charge your Tesla Model Y.

Nothing wrong with sitting in your Tesla Model Y inside your garage and becoming familiar with the menus and settings.

A CC1 adapter is a useful addition. You may need it while traveling and its required at my local Walmart Charge America chargers.
Tesla requires a valid card linked to the account before you can use the Supercharger network. You should verify that a valid credit card or debit card is linked to your Tesla account.

You should test that your Model Y can charge at a Supercharger for when you may need to use the Supercharger. (LPT: When I have tested Supercharging and ended the charging session with less than $0.25 for the charging session this small charge does not show up as having been billed to my Tesla account.)

Locate the provided Tesla SAE J1772 adapter (boy that is a lot words, letters and number.) Use Plugshare to help locate nearby public charging stations. Some may be free to use while you park, perhaps for up to 2 hours. Learn how to use the J1772 adapter to charge your Tesla Model Y.

Nothing wrong with sitting in your Tesla Model Y inside your garage and becoming familiar with the menus and settings.
One of the first things that I did after taking delivery was to visit a local WaWa here in NJ 2 miles from my home. Even though I charge nightly in my garage to 90%, I wanted to try a Tesla Supercharger. It worked fine.
Then one day I drove to a local Walmart to try out their Electrify America chargers using my CC1 adapter.
I was unable to use it, set up an account, no one at the toll free number to assist me so F Electrify America.
I was able to set up an account with FPL in Florida so I use their 350kWh chargers with my CC1 adapter when I am in Florida. I would urge everyone to set up accounts prior to needing one calling when home rather when you desperately need to use one in an emergency on a road trip.