Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where to get screen replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All
So my pre-refresh 2016 MS is finally getting bubbles on MCU touchscreen. I’m up for replacing it myself (I’ve already pulled it once to replace eMMC) but wondering where to get the replacement screen.

I see a bunch on eBay. $280 seems to be the going price. Do you think I should grab one of those? Obviously they’re used so I guess I’m worried I’ll replace it and then have that one get bubbles a week later, or turn yellow on the borders or whatever. If not eBay, any vendors you’d recommend?

Also, will any model S screen work or do I have to look for a certain model year, MCU type, etc? I’ve read they later fixed the bubble issue but then dealing with discoloration. Would like to avoid both.

Is new an option?? I plan on keeping the car until it falls apart (although it’s well on its way based on the last 12 months…)

Anyway, any advice is fully appreciated

Nope, no goodwill around these parts. They only offered replacing MCU vs upgrade to MCU2, all at my expense. I'm way out of warranty. But yeah, should probably start using a sunscreen. I just replaced it yesterday and posting a DIY in a few....

Nope, no goodwill around these parts. They only offered replacing MCU vs upgrade to MCU2, all at my expense. I'm way out of warranty. But yeah, should probably start using a sunscreen. I just replaced it yesterday and posting a DIY in a few....
Hi I have similar issue with my 2015 Model S, my touch screen was replaced 2years back when it stopped working or got black.
Now Small screen got bubbles, Could you post where did you buy the screen ? Is it easy to do it yourself take to a dealer? Or please post the diy video link.

When you say your small screen has bubbles, do you mean your instrument cluster, or the large touchscreen? I replaced the touchscreen, not the IC.

Got mine off eBay. The seller I used doesn't seem to have anymore (I just checked). Keep in mind a lot of screens on eBay have issues (one was cracked, one had bubbles, etc). So you may just need to be patient until you find the one that you want. Of course, just get the screen - not the entire MCU. You're going to reuse your MCU.

Here's a link to my DIY.

Assuming you're talking about the touchscreen -- I wouldn't call it easy - nothing that's technically difficult if you know how to use a trim tool and screwdriver. But just a lot of steps. The first time I did it (when I had to replace my eMMC chip a few years ago), I broke a trim piece next to the screen. I was too cheap to buy a new one so just Gorilla Glued it back together. Looked ghetto, but was then too lazy to replace it. Replacing the screen gave me the excuse to finally replace it. 😁

No, mine is issue with small screen. See the attached picture, it started an year back with small bubble. Now it is completely covered all around. But i dont have this leaking on the floor. Screen still works and i can see everything clearly, so it doest bother me.
Would there be issue if I delay and need to replace it rightaway?

82829026-FF45-4802-BDB5-997B0239C0DF.jpeg

Although I haven't replaced the instrument cluster, I'm sure it's MUCH easier than the main touchscreen. Easier to get to, and I suspect is just a simple swap, whereas the touchscreen you have to remove it from the MCU, etc.

No, you don't need to fix this for it to work, and no, you may not have any of that goo on the floor, but that goo is going somewhere. Probably all over the plastic shield below the steering column. It's an absolute mess. It'll just get worse. So I would say fix it. Plus, will help resale value down the road. ;)

Hi All
So my pre-refresh 2016 MS is finally getting bubbles on MCU touchscreen. I’m up for replacing it myself (I’ve already pulled it once to replace eMMC) but wondering where to get the replacement screen.

I see a bunch on eBay. $280 seems to be the going price. Do you think I should grab one of those? Obviously they’re used so I guess I’m worried I’ll replace it and then have that one get bubbles a week later, or turn yellow on the borders or whatever. If not eBay, any vendors you’d recommend?

Also, will any model S screen work or do I have to look for a certain model year, MCU type, etc? I’ve read they later fixed the bubble issue but then dealing with discoloration. Would like to avoid both.

Is new an option?? I plan on keeping the car until it falls apart (although it’s well on its way based on the last 12 months…)

Anyway, any advice is fully appreciated
I have them new, but you would have to recall what color MCU cables you have....if they are orange, I am out, if they are black, I have them!

Although I haven't replaced the instrument cluster, I'm sure it's MUCH easier than the main touchscreen. Easier to get to, and I suspect is just a simple swap, whereas the touchscreen you have to remove it from the MCU, etc.

No, you don't need to fix this for it to work, and no, you may not have any of that goo on the floor, but that goo is going somewhere. Probably all over the plastic shield below the steering column. It's an absolute mess. It'll just get worse. So I would say fix it. Plus, will help resale value down the road. ;)

Do you still have a link to the Ebay auction for the LCD part?

This one seems pretty steep for what you paid for yours:

This one is an LG screen for $150 but not sure if this is what you used. I don't want to be stuck with something that is not compatible with my 2016. A Canadian dealer quoted $3k CAD to upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2. I think I can probably do this myself since last year I took my dash apart to install aftermarket speakers.

Thank you.

While a lot more expensive, consider an MCU2 retrofit. You get an entirely new Instrument cluster, a new main screen, and a new faster CPU. This includes the latest LCD versions that don't have leak or yellowing issues. Cost includes the labor too. Ok, a lot more expensive than an LCD replacement, but as far as Infotainment replacement costs, it's a bargain. Quite a few owners don't realize the retrofit replaces the instrument cluster. On the downside, you lose AM radio, and getting FM/XM is an extra cost.

While a lot more expensive, consider an MCU2 retrofit. You get an entirely new Instrument cluster, a new main screen, and a new faster CPU. This includes the latest LCD versions that don't have leak or yellowing issues. Cost includes the labor too. Ok, a lot more expensive than an LCD replacement, but as far as Infotainment replacement costs, it's a bargain. Quite a few owners don't realize the retrofit replaces the instrument cluster. On the downside, you lose AM radio, and getting FM/XM is an extra cost.
I assume the MCU2 reuses the existing THREE connectors here or most of the connectors except the radio? The reason for my asking is because I'm tapping audio signals from those connectors behind MCU1 and don't want to have to redo my entire audio input into my aftermarket audio system.

1682338855128.png

Most, but not all connectors are the same. I've not seen it, but I expect Tesla has a connector adapter they insert between a few of the cables that go between MCU2 and the car's wiring harness made for MCU1. I think you may be fine with your audio connections as line outputs. The amplifier architecture is the same between MCU1 and MCU2 (i.e. they use internal and external amps, which I suspect you're tapping into). The radios for MUC2 are digital, whereas in MCU1 they were analog. That's why the radio has to be replaced if you want FM/XM with MCU2.

Reactions: siamnet
There are a few guys in SoCal that can replace screens 3r party for cheap. I can shoot you over a contact, pm me

Not that I'm going to make that drive to SoCal from Buffalo, NY but there are software setup/installation required besides the hardware swap right? I wish it was just a simple hardware swap then I can do that myself.

I think Electrified Garage (Mass) is ~7 hours from me (482 miles). But if I were go to them, I'd probably want them to do other mods to my car like upgrading to Ludicrous besides other maintenance.

Reactions: fangers
Not that I'm going to make that drive to SoCal from Buffalo, NY but there are software setup/installation required besides the hardware swap right? I wish it was just a simple hardware swap then I can do that myself.

I think Electrified Garage (Mass) is ~7 hours from me (482 miles). But if I were go to them, I'd probably want them to do other mods to my car like upgrading to Ludicrous besides other maintenance.
It is just a hardware swap for the screen. Remove the old screen and reinstall the new one, no software is required.

It is just a hardware swap for the screen. Remove the old screen and reinstall the new one, no software is required.
Yes, to just swapping out the LCD portion of the MCU (i.e., no software configuration needed). But I was referring to upgrading MCU1 to MCU2 since I see them available (e.g., openbox, used) on Ebay, it seems it "might" require some sort of software configuration by Tesla?
If it's just a simple hardware swap (existing connectors/harness) then I'm down with doing the MCU1 to MCU2 upgrade myself w/o going to Tesla.

Gen2 instrument cluster is somewhat different that Gen1. Gen 2 LCD resolution is higher, has more ram, etc. You can't use a Gen2 display in a Gen 1 instrument cluster. This is different than MCU 1 vs MCU2. MCU2 uses a Gen 3 instrument cluster which is incompatible with MCU1. More details here: Instrument Cluster – TeslaTap

I was referring to this hardware (touchscreen mainly not just the instrument cluster) when I wrote my comment: Tesla Model S (2012-2021) OEM MCU 2 Upgrade Kit with Adapter Wire | eBay

If I bought this myself and then swap it out for MCU1, will it work automatically or require the Tesla dealer for further programming/configuration of the new hardware?

Note: I would like to replace my entire touchscreen (leaking glue) only but if there is a hardware MUC2 upgrade w/o going to the dealer then I would be interested in buying a MCU2 to replace my MCU1.