TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Where to stow tow hook (towing eyebolt)?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Musterion, Oct 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Musterion

Musterion 18h 03m 37s −24° 23′ 12″

In my Classic S85, there was no towing hook provided since no threaded receiver. Later MS had a storage compartment for the eyebolt under the carpet of the frunk, built in to the plastic frunk tub. Now we got new Model X, and there doesn’t seem to be obvious place to store the towing eyebolt to prevent it from sliding around. Where is best place to store it? (Granted I know from unfortunate and repeated experience you can tow both MS and MX without it by following the towing guidelines for hooking to the lower suspension arms, but figure now that I have one, I’ll keep it in the car somewhere where it doesn’t annoy me or impale a passenger). The closest official guideline I could find is from Tesla. This graphic shows an obvious place in the frunk front cubby, but there is absolutely no way to mount it in the way that is depicted. Am I missing some mounting bracket?
    A7751C3F-158A-4311-8045-D36B527317BB.jpeg

2. bwho9000

bwho9000 Member

My tow hook came in the UMC bag. Look in the back compartment of the bag and there is a little loop that you can put it in.

• Like x 1
  3. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

In my Aug 2016 MX, there is a mounting slot in the left side of the lower trunk compartment. The tow hook snaps in against the left vertical side of the lower trunk.
    I don't know if this changed with later versions.

4. dark

dark Member

I would like to know too, mine has no bag and no place anywhere in the trunk or frunk to hold the tow hook.

5. McManX

McManX Member

Mine is in the UMC bag. There is a velcro loop. (Low VIN number)

6. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

In the current cars (refresh S, I assume, and in my X), the hook *just* fits in the back pocket of the UMC bag. You have to thread it into the loop (left hand thread!) and then use the Velcro to hold it. It’s a little tight because the hook/eye is longer than it used to be. The storage place in the frunk disappeared with the refresh, and the X never had it, of course.

7. boaterva

Do you mean on the side of the storage area? Don’t see that on mine....

Pretty sure X’s have no spot for it now except the bag...

8. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

@boaterva : This photo shows the location. The aspect is standing at the back of the car, looking down into the lower trunk compartment (below the floor cover). The hook slot is on the left (driver's) side of the trunk. It's possible that the slot which perfectly holds and stores the tow hook is just coincidence, and was not intentionally designed for this purpose, but I like it.

IMG_20171009_101227290.jpg

9. boaterva

Interesting construction, because my recent X has none of that. :D It's a more rectangular box (the 'trunk') with no nooks and crannies that you show in that corner (or any other). That is a good spot for storage and quick access for the hook!

10. Musterion

These are all great ideas! So I don’t have the nook of @Solarman004. My trunk is as @boaterva describes. And the charger bag is great idea. I had searched before and saw people complaining their X hook was too big for the bag so I had discarded that idea, but I tried it, and either the bag is bigger now or the hook is smaller, and it just fits as mentioned above.

However, I’d still like to know what the deal is with the nook in the trunk I posted in original post that came from Tesla literature. It seems a perfect place for the hook and is pictured to magically mount there. Does anybody actually have a mounting bracket in there for it and why would they show that otherwise? It happens to be the most logical place for it I think.

Anyway the bag is fine with me. My next question is what you put in the other elastic loop on the back of the bag, next to the tow hook. J1772 adapter?

11. bwho9000

bwho9000 Member

No, it’s for the wires for connecting to a trailer. If you got tow package, the wires will be neatly folded into the small loop.

12. Musterion

Thank you for solving that mystery! My tow package was missing. That story in another thread.

13. boaterva

I did put the 1772 there, as the much-discussed place in the driver’s door seems to be missing on recent cars. No little place to pop it into. It will fit in the side pocket, of course, but so will about anything. :D. Decided to keep it with all the other charging equipment in the bad. I did find the trailer harness pigtail in the bag also!

14. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

I do have that nook in my 13,xxx VIN MX, and it looks exactly like the photo in your original post. However, there is no catch to hold the tow hook in place in the nook.