Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Where will you take possession?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will be delivered to my home. My only concern is we have a very nosy neighbor that feels he can walk onto my property to see what is going on just because he's curious about everything in the neighborhood. For example, when we were having a deck replaced and some landscaping, he would repeatedly show up to watch and ask questions of the crews working each job. I asked him not to do that, but he must not have a memory, as he still pops over as he pleases. The last thing I want is for my moment of attention from Tesla to be interrupted by this guy. That would just ruin it for me and my wife. Maybe I'll just take a restraining order against him for the day of delivery.

I'd love to have it delivered to my house but I think that my street is far too steep, narrow and hilly for a car transport unless it's only big enough for one car. If Tesla called today and wanted to deliver in the morning (not going to happen) and I had to choose some place without thinking about it, I would probably have it delivered to my parents' house or my office.

The truth is that I have 5 or 6 months to decide and I will be thinking about it until then.

I don't think the delivery truck would fit on my street. I plan to take delivery at Fremont, assuming that some sort of tour is available.

(looking at Doug_G's pic) Oh, damn, I didn't think of that. Yeah, uh, that might be a problem in my little neighborhood. I don't care about my neighbors (I guess mine are less nosey than most), but that could be a logistical issue. And DC streets SUCK, so I'd rather not drive from the DC store to my house. Hmm, maybe I can arrange a neutral third-party location. ;-)

P.S. From the sound of things, just taking delivery somewhere is like buying it there, so if I take delivery where I work (different state), I'm hosed? That seems . . . stupid of states, but okay. There's a small strip mall with a large parking lot, a block from me. I don't like that idea (random weirdos bothering us!). Hmm. Now I'll obsess about this, thanks, guys 'n gals. ;-)

(looking at Doug_G's pic) Oh, damn, I didn't think of that. Yeah, uh, that might be a problem in my little neighborhood. I don't care about my neighbors (I guess mine are less nosey than most), but that could be a logistical issue. And DC streets SUCK, so I'd rather not drive from the DC store to my house. Hmm, maybe I can arrange a neutral third-party location. ;-)

I'm not sure they use that long-haul semi trucks everywhere. Maybe on the East Coast, but I know they brought up the two test drive cars here to the Portland Get Amped tour with just a large enclosed trailer, one being pulled by a Ford 350, and also one by a van (all branded out in Tesla logos). So narrow streets wouldn't be too bad, but steep hills could be a challenge.

You can see one of these at 20 minutes (towards the end) in on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2OVJDajMQ&feature=youtu.be

I've considered the factory thing since that would be fun, but I'll prolly just have it delivered to work. The folks at work are asking me when it'll arrive almost every week...

I'm thinking the same and may try to organize some sort of an event to promote Tesla and EVs in general at my work. This weekend at the Palo Alto event, I was introduced to a guy from Tesla who does corporate events. They did one at NVIDIA recently. If there is enough interest, they'll even bring a car for folks to test drive!

Although factory delivery seems very tempting as well. He told me the factory delivery area is all ready to go and it is going to be really amazing. They take you from where giant aluminum rolls enter the plant all the way to the end of the line and voila, there is your car waiting.

Last edited:
P.S. From the sound of things, just taking delivery somewhere is like buying it there, so if I take delivery where I work (different state), I'm hosed? That seems . . . stupid of states, but okay. There's a small strip mall with a large parking lot, a block from me. I don't like that idea (random weirdos bothering us!). Hmm. Now I'll obsess about this, thanks, guys 'n gals. ;-)

Actually you have to provide a registration address where you live to buy it. Delivery address is different. I know because I'm registering it somewhere else for lower tax on it and am having it delivered to my home.

Actually you have to provide a registration address where you live to buy it. Delivery address is different. I know because I'm registering it somewhere else for lower tax on it and am having it delivered to my home.

Be careful. Registering a personal car at an address where it's not kept the majority of the time in order to avoid taxes may be illegal. Also check the small print on your insurance.

I'm not sure they use that long-haul semi trucks everywhere. Maybe on the East Coast, but I know they brought up the two test drive cars here to the Portland Get Amped tour with just a large enclosed trailer, one being pulled by a Ford 350, and also one by a van (all branded out in Tesla logos). So narrow streets wouldn't be too bad, but steep hills could be a challenge.

You can see one of these at 20 minutes (towards the end) in on this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px2OVJDajMQ&feature=youtu.be

Here's a still photo I took of the trailer that Tesla used to transport a Model S prototype to an event we had at the Sarasota Yacht Club.

Sarasota Yacht Club April 2012 006.JPG

Larry

When I talked to a Tesla rep a few weeks ago, they strongly discouraged me from taking delivery at the factory. He said it would be much better to take delivery at home because they would ensure that all the wireless connections (home wifi, cell phones, homelink) were all correct. I would love to have a factory tour though. And it sounds like many on this thread would too. It would make sense to me to offer a tour to anyone who buys a Model S, or at the very least to all Signature purchasers.

Be careful. Registering a personal car at an address where it's not kept the majority of the time in order to avoid taxes may be illegal. Also check the small print on your insurance.

Yup, but I can change the registration right after. It's just to avoid the higher sales tax in sf.

Thanks for that pic! No way that is turning into my street wow. I guess it just holds one car! I thought they did multiple deliveries?