Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadtrip - Which car would you take?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given you have a choice, which car would you take?

Will be doing round trip from Reno/Tahoe to San Diego next week. Google Maps indicates 563 miles x 2 for 1126 miles. Starting elevation 4500', max 8330', min sea level. Just my spouse and I.

Due to heat forecasted between 95-108 degrees along most of the route, I'm leaning to taking my 2017 Prius Prime.

My 2012 Tesla P85 has free Supercharging and a new 2022 high voltage pack. 90% state of charge is 244 miles. However, due to forecasted high heat I'm afraid of (1) exposing to high heat conditions when I have the Prius Prime as an option, (2) slower supercharging imposed due to high heat, and (3) risk of Model S priortizing cooling to battery over interior cabin.

20230407_115547.jpg

Reactions: Msicario
My only reason to not take the Tesla would be if you'll be tripping on the weekend or during peak Supercharging demand (I'm not fond of waiting for a Supercharger stall if I can't avoid it). 3-day/holiday weekends are probably the worst, but it's something I try my best to avoid. I'd driven our Tesla through the Mojave Desert in 100-108F without seeing any drop-off in Supercharging speeds, but the radiator/condenser fans howl like a harrier on vertical lift (hyperbole). I guess I would recommend which ever car you feel is the most reliable.

My only reason to not take the Tesla would be if you'll be tripping on the weekend or during peak Supercharging demand (I'm not fond of waiting for a Supercharger stall if I can't avoid it). 3-day/holiday weekends are probably the worst, but it's something I try my best to avoid.
The I-5 corridor is so built out at this point, with so many different options, I really think this is only a consideration at the peak-peak of holiday travel (like Thanksgiving and Christmas). At least for now.

Reactions: jjrandorin and bmah
I'd say take the Tesla because that's what I do routinely. Literally every road trip I've done in the past 8 years has been in a Tesla (either 2015 Model S 85D or 2022 Model X). A fair number of them were to or through the San Joaquin Valley where as you probably know it gets pretty hot during the summer.

In fact, I just did SF Bay Area to San Diego and back with the Model X during that heat wave this past (extended) weekend. No issues at all with cooling or charging the car. (I-5 southbound, I-15 / US-101 northbound.)

Whatever vehicle you choose, hope you have a great trip!

Bruce.

My only reason to not take the Tesla would be if you'll be tripping on the weekend or during peak Supercharging demand (I'm not fond of waiting for a Supercharger stall if I can't avoid it). 3-day/holiday weekends are probably the worst, but it's something I try my best to avoid. I'd driven our Tesla through the Mojave Desert in 100-108F without seeing any drop-off in Supercharging speeds, but the radiator/condenser fans howl like a harrier on vertical lift (hyperbole). I guess I would recommend which ever car you feel is the most reliable.
I'll be taking 395 through Eastern CA. Suspect Supecharging will be ok on that route given road less travelled - Bishop, Lone Pine, Ridgecrest

Reactions: cmarshack
I'd say take the Tesla because that's what I do routinely. Literally every road trip I've done in the past 8 years has been in a Tesla (either 2015 Model S 85D or 2022 Model X). A fair number of them were to or through the San Joaquin Valley where as you probably know it gets pretty hot during the summer.

In fact, I just did SF Bay Area to San Diego and back with the Model X during that heat wave this past (extended) weekend. No issues at all with cooling or charging the car. (I-5 southbound, I-15 / US-101 northbound.)

Whatever vehicle you choose, hope you have a great trip!

Bruce.
Thanks Bruce. Probably will flip a coin the day before departure :)

Reactions: bmah
I'll be taking 395 through Eastern CA. Suspect Supecharging will be ok on that route given road less travelled - Bishop, Lone Pine, Ridgecrest
I love the Owens Valley, the Sierra Nevada range is gorgeous and the little towns very quaint. I just read Mammoth Mountain will be snow skiing into the 1st week of August. When Mammoth is open there is a lot more traffic on 395.

Better let your wife drive south or Ridgecrest. Don‘t know if anyone told you, if you drive a Prius in SoCal you have to turn in your man card.

1690036185877.jpeg

Given you have a choice, which car would you take?

Will be doing round trip from Reno/Tahoe to San Diego next week. Google Maps indicates 563 miles x 2 for 1126 miles. Starting elevation 4500', max 8330', min sea level. Just my spouse and I.

Due to heat forecasted between 95-108 degrees along most of the route, I'm leaning to taking my 2017 Prius Prime.

My 2012 Tesla P85 has free Supercharging and a new 2022 high voltage pack. 90% state of charge is 244 miles. However, due to forecasted high heat I'm afraid of (1) exposing to high heat conditions when I have the Prius Prime as an option, (2) slower supercharging imposed due to high heat, and (3) risk of Model S priortizing cooling to battery over interior cabin.

View attachment 958556

The Prius Prime battery is fan cooled.
The Tesla battery is liquid cooled.

But the more important issue is which vehicle is more comfortable.

If the coin is flipped for Tesla and you're concerned with supercharging throttling in the hot weather, there is this thread that may help.
I'm not saying to do or not to do but, it's an interesting idea.

If the coin is flipped for Tesla and you're concerned with supercharging throttling in the hot weather, there is this thread that may help.
Thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought that Supercharger could be the throttle. I was thinking the car.

This was a thing primarily for V2 Superchargers (the "120kW" or "150kW" variety). The handles on those Superchargers have a heat sensor that would throttle back current if it gets too hot. I have not heard of this being an issue lately, and anyway most of the Supercharger deployments since 2019 or so have been the V3 type (with the thinner, liquid-cooled cables). Might not be a bad trick to have in your bag though.

Bruce.

Thanks for the tip. Hadn't thought that Supercharger could be the throttle. I was thinking the car.
This is what I was going to chime in with. Unless many of your SC stops are very old/poorly maintained V2 stations, you shouldn’t have much to worry about in terms of charging in extreme heat.
I had major issues one year when ambient temps were 115 (car reported 127!) in Oregon and I was at a very old SC. The car would charge for five mins then show the red ring of death. Thought it was my car (P85D), but others with new Model 3s, etc. experienced the same thing. Some with better luck (10mins), but seemed dependent on which stall. So it was a cooling issue with the SC vs the cars.

Reactions: NV Ray