Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which Auto Maker Should Tesla Acquire First?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember when Jaguar tanked, Ford bought it for a few years and then couldn't give it away? Tesla will have deep pockets soon and is destined to put a several makers out of business. Nothing like purchasing your competition to drive the stake home. A few years ago I thought nose-diving Volvo would be a perfect fit for Elon until they were bought by the Chinese. So who might be a good purchase for Tesla? Anyone hungry for a little Italian, like maybe Alfa Romeo or Maserati? Hmm, British? TVR, anyone? Sushi? Or maybe Chrysler after Marchionne finishes driving it into a wall. Let the speculation begin!

IMG_1463.JPG

The beauty of the Tesla business model, they are not tied to old school petroleum burning technology. They are the only car manufacturer free of that overhead and shackles. Going forward, buy the technology companies that play to their product development. Develop or buy? That's what they have been doing so far and should continue to do so.

My spin on the OPs question is that there may come a time where Tesla can snap up a brand and their real estate/manufacturing facilities for pennies on the dollar. If that opportunity arrises, why not take it?

Theoretical headline: "BREAKING: Tesla acquires Volkswagen Group"...

Jeff
WHY NOT
- dealer network contracts
- warranty liability
- debts to banksters and Wall St.
- parts inventory (in US I think, you are required to offer parts for 25 years after production ends, right?)
- Union entanglements
- all ICE related, no longer needed, employees - re-training costs? costs to let go?
Why would you want that mess?
Buy the factory space really cheap, like Fremont. Most all needs re-building and it may still be cheaper to build from scratch at this stage of Tesla knowledge base.

Remember when Jaguar tanked, Ford bought it for a few years and then couldn't give it away? Tesla will have deep pockets soon and is destined to put a several makers out of business. Nothing like purchasing your competition to drive the stake home. A few years ago I thought nose-diving Volvo would be a perfect fit for Elon until they were bought by the Chinese. So who might be a good purchase for Tesla? Anyone hungry for a little Italian, like maybe Alfa Romeo or Maserati? Hmm, British? TVR, anyone? Sushi? Or maybe Chrysler after Marchionne finishes driving it into a wall. Let the speculation begin!

Oh, I get it, you are being sarcastic.... you almost had me there. ;)

Reactions: chateauoaks