Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which carbotech pad compound?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The biggest downside to the Carbotechs IMO is how incredibly, obnoxiously loud and squeaky they are. None of my other track pads make noise - just the Carbotechs. I would recommend XP20's up front and 12's in the back if you are OK with swapping the pads out before and after events. Functionally, all track pads have been fine on the street for me, regen does most of the work on the street anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Mash
The biggest downside to the Carbotechs IMO is how incredibly, obnoxiously loud and squeaky they are. None of my other track pads make noise - just the Carbotechs. I would recommend XP20's up front and 12's in the back if you are OK with swapping the pads out before and after events. Functionally, all track pads have been fine on the street for me, regen does most of the work on the street anyway.

I have been running XT910 since was mostly autocross focused, but geared the same complaints as you on the XT970 so was looking at carbotech. What's the current recommendation if you arent willing to swap pads between events?

I have been running XT910 since was mostly autocross focused, but geared the same complaints as you on the XT970 so was looking at carbotech. What's the current recommendation if you arent willing to swap pads between events?

If you don't want to swap pads between events, look at Raybestos. The ST43 is a great pad for use with 200TW. If running R-Comp or Slicks put ST45's on the front.

My Mustang weighs about the same as the Model 3. On the track I used XP20 /XP12 F/R on the Mustang. On the street I used 1521's. The nice thing with the Carbotechs is you can use the same rotor with multiple compounds which means you can change just the pads between track and street which is much easier than changing rotors too. I am going to start with the same Carbotech compounds on the Model 3.

I never had squealing issues with the 1521's on the street. The XP20 or XP12 would likely squeal.

Here's a good chart - I had to ditch the Model S rotors not for wear (they barely had a ring) but due to cracking, so pretty good!

All track pads are going to be pretty dusty, I do think the Carbotechs create a bit more dust than the Raybestos but either way you are going to have to clean your wheels often!

Interestingthat ST47 is so aggressive yet very low on rotor wear by that chart. any idea why?

Unplugged’s street/track pads were fine at Road America entering ~140mph 3 times in a lap.

If you want to go as fast as possible in a qualifying/time attack style, you won’t build a ton of heat if you’re only doing 1 hot lap in a row and resource managing effectively.

If you want to burn the battery to the ground and chase dentist Freds for whole sessions, it might be more important, but largely I haven’t found temps being the shortfall in braking. I upgraded to 6-pot brembos for feel/modulation.

Reactions: TwoK4drSi
I run XP12 Front and XP10 Rear on my ICE Track Car....but it's not nearly as heavy as a Model 3. Love both CarboTech and GLoc...know the folks at both companies and am glad to support a pair of NC companies. Anyway....like others have said, for a car this heavy...the XP20/XP12 combo is probably good if you're turning pretty quick laps. If you're turning exceptional laps,the XP24 up front will certainly whoa you down effectively. The RP2 is more for endurance....I ran those back in the day once. They're equivalent to an XP12....